Sign in with
Your question

USB 3.0 speed same as my USB 2.0 speed

Last response: in Windows 7
January 2, 2013 1:04:15 AM

I just bought a usb 3.0 pci-express card and a western digital 2TB usb 3.0 my book external hard drive. i hooked up the pci-card and the drive, but i'm not getting any speed boost.

After reading through many posts, I downloaded HD Tune to check speeds. I have my 3.0 WD hard drive and my 2.0 seagate drive both plugged into the 3.0 pci-express card.

WD 3.0 drive average transfer rate = 36MB/s
seagate 2.0 drive average transfer rate = 36MB/s
my internal hard drive average transfer rate = 69MB/s

The pci-e card is showing up as usb 3.0 is device manager... can anyone help me figure out why I'm not getting any speed boost with my new card and hard drive?

thanks,
Brian

More about : usb speed usb speed

a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2013 2:43:23 AM

Please verify inside your bios settings that you have USB 3.0 enabled there. Some boards have it turned-off by default or it gets reset to off.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2013 2:46:33 AM

also, if you have slower hard drives like, 5400rpms, that would have an effect also.
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2013 3:30:25 AM

danny2000 said:
Please verify inside your bios settings that you have USB 3.0 enabled there. Some boards have it turned-off by default or it gets reset to off.

thanks for the quick reply danny. i went into my BIOS, but I didn't see anything about USB 3.0 in there. I was able to find USB settings, but when I entered that section, it only showed me 13 different USB ports. They all said nothing was connected except for the 1.0 mouse and keyboard ports. They were all enabled.

The port I'm using is plugged into my pci-e slot. Should that also show up in the BIOS somewhere and list as a 3.0 port? I am able to see the drive under device manager and when using CPUID it shows it as a usb 3.0.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2013 3:50:19 AM

Sorry about that. No it would not show the ports inside the bios for the card.
Did you install the drivers with the cd that came with the card?

do you know the RPM speed of the hard drives that you are using?

m
l
January 2, 2013 3:59:32 AM

Even if it were a 5400rpm drive it should still be capable of 100+ MB/s sequential speeds.
It would seem the OP is being limited some where else.
I would download the latest drivers from the pci-e card manufacturers website.
Are you using a usb3.0 cable? and does the drive require external power?
m
l
January 2, 2013 2:24:58 PM

ShadyHamster said:
Even if it were a 5400rpm drive it should still be capable of 100+ MB/s sequential speeds.
It would seem the OP is being limited some where else.
I would download the latest drivers from the pci-e card manufacturers website.
Are you using a usb3.0 cable? and does the drive require external power?

Yes it is a 5400 rpm drive that came installed in my hp pavilion elite e9220y. I did install the drivers on the cd that came with the pci-e card. I am using a 3.0 cable for the 3.0 WD drive and a 2.0 cable for the seagate 2.0 drive. The card is powered by my internal power supply, and the WD 3.0 drive is powered externally. But I am seeing the same transfer speeds on both drives through the 3.0 card.

I ordered the card from newegg under the brand SYGA, but the box says Best Connectivity Super Speed USB 3.0 PCI-Express card. I have searched but haven't been able to find a website with drivers specific to this card; just using the drivers that came packaged with it.

I did read from other's threads about not achieving high speeds because of bottle necks elsewhere in the system. I just have a factory computer, but it was kind of high end at best buy when i bought it in 2010.

thanks for all of the help guys.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2013 5:06:46 PM

Check speeds copying both ways, from A. The USB 3.0 device to your C: drive.
Check speeds from B. Your C: drive to your USB 3.0 device.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2013 5:54:05 PM

Ahngee said:
Yes it is a 5400 rpm drive that came installed in my hp pavilion elite e9220y. I did install the drivers on the cd that came with the pci-e card. I am using a 3.0 cable for the 3.0 WD drive and a 2.0 cable for the seagate 2.0 drive. The card is powered by my internal power supply, and the WD 3.0 drive is powered externally. But I am seeing the same transfer speeds on both drives through the 3.0 card.

I ordered the card from newegg under the brand SYGA, but the box says Best Connectivity Super Speed USB 3.0 PCI-Express card. I have searched but haven't been able to find a website with drivers specific to this card; just using the drivers that came packaged with it.

I did read from other's threads about not achieving high speeds because of bottle necks elsewhere in the system. I just have a factory computer, but it was kind of high end at best buy when i bought it in 2010.

thanks for all of the help guys.

HERE is the website for your card. Go to the download tab and you should be able to get updated drivers. You probably had issues finding it because it is a SYBA card and not SYGA, don't worry it does look like a G.
m
l
!