Sign in with
Your question

Picking a New laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
November 13, 2010 7:35:05 AM

I have been looking for a laptop, my budget is in the sub $600 range. The two biggest requirements for me are a (relatively) fast processor and decant batter life, so i was looking in the 13"-14" size. I found one that I liked, and then another that is very similar and I would like opinions on them (note feel free to suggest a different computer i'm open to new suggestions but one fact that i want to stress is that it must be a full voltage processor, I know what I'm looking for and what I need, was thing Phenom II/core i3 level stuff and as long as it has a 250GB or bigger hdd it's fine)

The first system is a factory refurbished HP dv5 2077cl it stats are
14.5" screen 1366x768
AMD Phenom II N620 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
4GB DDR3 ram
500GB Hdd @ 7200RPM
B+G+N Wireless
Dual Layer 8x Super Multi Drive
6-Cell battery
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
cost is $579

The second system is a HP dv5t
14.5" screen 1366x768
Intel Core i3 370m @ 2.4GHz
Intel Integrated graphics
4GB DDR3 ram
500GB HDD @ 5400RPM
B+G+N Wireless
Altec Lansing speakers
Dual Layer 8x Super Multi Drive
6-Cell Battery
cost is $599

i was also wondering, I'm hoping to get 4.5-5 hours of battery, is this a reasonable guess? (power saving settings on of course)

More about : picking laptop

a c 244 D Laptop
November 13, 2010 7:49:28 AM

The second one has a faster CPU;whereas, the first one has a slightly faster VGA.So go with the second one IMO.
November 13, 2010 11:28:41 AM

first, thanks Maziar
I just found a new laptop I wanted to add to the contending, it's a bit on the expensive side and I'm not sure if it's worth it but weigh in, a 1st second third choice reply would be great (reason would be even better) but here it is copy and pasted
HP Pavilion G42t, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-460M Dual Core Processor (2.53 GHz),
14.0" HD HP BrightView LED Display (1366 x 768),
4GB RAM, 320GB, SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support,
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5470 Graphics [HDMI, VGA],
802.11 b/g/N,
Webcam,
Microphone,
5-in-1 Media Reader,
6 Cell Battery,
Windows 7 Home Premium
Related resources
a c 244 D Laptop
November 13, 2010 1:12:29 PM

That's also good.But don't expect a great gaming performance from it.
November 13, 2010 1:31:43 PM

I would seriously consider buying from Dell outlet.... (Dell outlet is run by Dell) If you look under "pre ordered new" you can find BRAND NEW systems that somebody else ordered but then cancelled after dell had already built the system. Dell then gives the laptop to the outlet store for selling because it can no longer be customized through the normal website. These laptops are often 1/3 to 1/2 the price of their normal price (even though they are brand new...) I bought a brand new latitude e6510 from the outlet for $950. I looked on the Dell website and it would normally have cost $1800 for the exact same system! (even though both are brand new!)

Important note: when on the website there is a big difference between "pre ordered new" and "refurbished". Refurbished systems have been previously used and have been certified by dell for resale. "Pre ordered new" systems are systems that have been ordered by other customers, built by dell, and then had the order cancelled. Because dell can no longer customize these laptops to customer's specifications (because it's already built) they give it to the outlet for selling. According to Dell, these systems are brand new and have NEVER been used so it's basically exactly the same as buying a new system except you cannot customize the specs. You just have to be patient and wait for a sale the system with the specs you want to come up for sale. You can get a new system that fits your budget with far greater specs than you would otherwise have.

Another hind about Dells: If you go for some of the latitude's, they come with a 3 year warrenty... (This is only true for SOME latitude models, not all, so be careful. Good hunting! The dell outlet for pre ordered new systems comes with the exact same warrenty as the dells ordered from the normal site....
!