How much money does AMD has to pay Intel for use t

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PAY FOR WHAT?
i dont think it will have to, after all its an instruction set, not any technology. MMX dint have any royalties. but if it does have to pay, i guess AMD should'nt. 3DNow! is doing well, and newer processor cores will enhance it further. no need for AMD to support this "expensive", should it be, instruction set.

girish

G

I disagree.

AMD (being the underdog) has to support as wide a base of customers as possible.

Wouldn't it be cool if AMD could do SSE2 better than Intel?

Learning has begun.

mpjesse

Splendid
Well, the judges back in the MMX case said that MMX was too beneficial for intel to patent- i think this will be the case for SSE and SSE2. It'll probably be free.

-MP Jesse

G

Actually if AMD can make SSE2 work well then it could spell the end of 3DNOW. Why would a software developer want to use it and develope for two platforms when all he really has to do is develope for SSE2 and cover it all?

Learning has begun.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
AMD may not use SSE2 as good at Intel will... BUT, AMD (With the Hammer series) will do WAY better in 32bit applications (perhaps also 64bit!). The new stuff from Intel will suck at 32bit.

G

AMD has said it will continue to support 3dNow!, but will also implement SSE and SSE2. There is no reason to believe that AMD CPU's will do any worse than Intel chips with any SSE or SSE2 code. Being an instruction set, both companies CPU's should benefit equally per clock. The difference will be however that AMD chips dont depend on it. And if you take 3dNow!, SSE and SSE2 code away from any program, driver or whatever...we all know who would have the better chip (and it ain't Intel)

George

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well it seems true that AMD should support sse2 whatever its worth, but doesnt it enjoy a fair support to 3DNow! ?
it has come till now sans sse/sse2 i dont think it should be too keen on adopting it. after all, its just a instruction set! AMD could well make a different instruction set, "object compatible" with SSE2 and thats it!!!! why should it pay for incorporating instructions???

girish