Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Choosing a Monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
May 3, 2012 12:50:13 AM

I'm looking for a new 23-24 inch monitor for around $300 or less. It'll be used for general computer use in addition to gaming.

Currently, I'm between the Dell U2412M and the Viewsonic VP2365-LED. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

More about : choosing monitor

May 3, 2012 3:24:37 AM

The dell U2412M is a great choice. I would recommend it over the Viewsonic mainly because it's 1920x1200 as opposed to 1080.

The HP ZR2440w is similar the to U2412M.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 3:28:34 AM

naf said:
The dell U2412M is a great choice. I would recommend it over the Viewsonic mainly because it's 1920x1200 as opposed to 1080.

The HP ZR2440w is similar the to U2412M.


The only reason I'm considering the Viewsonic is because of this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/22/hard-choices...

The author of that article specifically wrote "one screen that ought to spank all comers in my mid-range shortlist is the Dell UltraSharp U2412M. It’s IPS, it’s a proper 1,920 x 1,200 16:10 panel and it’s baggable for about £250. So it sounds perfect. In practice, the image quality is a little bit dull, the anti-glare coating is rather sparkly."
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 3, 2012 4:28:02 AM

Interesting. I haven't seen one in person so can't comment on sparkliness or dullness. Everyone's tolerance for anti-glare sparkliness seems to be different, and I'm not sure what he means by dullness. There's a 100+ page thread over at Hard Forum about the U2412M which will most likely answer all questions about it: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1615513

TFT central does good reviews and will cover what you need to know about image quality, accuracy, responsiveness, contrast, etc.: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

I ended up with the ZR2440w because TFT centrals report seemed to be a little more positive than for the Dell, and I found it for $350 on provantage.

I bet the Viewsonic is a great monitor, but didn't research it because 1080p is a deal-killer for me.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/viewsonic_vp2365wb....

EDIT: http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-mon...

^ Everyone looking for a monitor should be aware of that option. It's a ridiculous deal, though maybe not for you.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 7:53:14 AM

naf said:
Interesting. I haven't seen one in person so can't comment on sparkliness or dullness. Everyone's tolerance for anti-glare sparkliness seems to be different, and I'm not sure what he means by dullness. There's a 100+ page thread over at Hard Forum about the U2412M which will most likely answer all questions about it: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1615513

TFT central does good reviews and will cover what you need to know about image quality, accuracy, responsiveness, contrast, etc.: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

I ended up with the ZR2440w because TFT centrals report seemed to be a little more positive than for the Dell, and I found it for $350 on provantage.

I bet the Viewsonic is a great monitor, but didn't research it because 1080p is a deal-killer for me.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/viewsonic_vp2365wb....

EDIT: http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-mon...

^ Everyone looking for a monitor should be aware of that option. It's a ridiculous deal, though maybe not for you.


Thanks for the advice, you've been very helpful!

The HP looks good but is slightly out of my price range. The Dell does look pretty compelling and 1900X1200 is a definite bonus. It is also currently on sale so it's not a bad deal. I'll keep doing research before making up my mind.
m
0
l
a c 110 C Monitor
May 3, 2012 11:25:53 AM

i dont see what the problem is with 1920x1080. this resolution is more than good enough for general computer use and gaming. HD content will also fit the screen without black bars above and below.

a 1920x1200 monitor only adds a 120px height difference which doesnt amount to a whole lot more desktop real estate. unless you arent a fan of the widescreen format (in which case black bars top and bottom is normal for you) or absolutely need the extra space i dont see why its a huge deal.

i've heard alot of good about the dell monitor but i wouldnt base a decision soley on resolution!
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 2:00:23 PM

ssddx said:
i dont see what the problem is with 1920x1080. this resolution is more than good enough for general computer use and gaming. HD content will also fit the screen without black bars above and below.

a 1920x1200 monitor only adds a 120px height difference which doesnt amount to a whole lot more desktop real estate. unless you arent a fan of the widescreen format (in which case black bars top and bottom is normal for you) or absolutely need the extra space i dont see why its a huge deal.

i've heard alot of good about the dell monitor but i wouldnt base a decision soley on resolution!


I feel more strongly about it than most people, but here's why:
- don't care about the black bars, as I find excess white space on the left and right while web browsing much more annoying than letterboxing.
- even if I did care about black bars, of the content I consume only a minority is 16:9. And I don't game much.
- when photo editing, those 120px make a big difference with vertical images. 16:10 also fits horizontal images + toolbars better.
- looks "squat" (totally subjective)
- I'm contrarian by nature

Just my $.02 - I don't mean to stifle your decision with my preferences. Glad to be helpful.


EDIT: should clarify my first point - 1200 vertical pixels won't make a web page's content any wider, and you'll still have the same white space by default. The advantage is that you can zoom in with a 1200p screen and have bigger text with less empty space with the same amount of content a 1080p screen would give you. Alternatively, you can leave the white space and just have +120 pixels for text. Big deal? up to you.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 2:03:55 PM

ssddx said:
i dont see what the problem is with 1920x1080. this resolution is more than good enough for general computer use and gaming. HD content will also fit the screen without black bars above and below.

a 1920x1200 monitor only adds a 120px height difference which doesnt amount to a whole lot more desktop real estate. unless you arent a fan of the widescreen format (in which case black bars top and bottom is normal for you) or absolutely need the extra space i dont see why its a huge deal.

i've heard alot of good about the dell monitor but i wouldnt base a decision soley on resolution!


I agree. I see additional vertical resolution as a perk, not a necessity.

There are lots of accolades for the Dell but only 2 or 3 reviews that I've seen for the Viewsonic model, which is another reason why I'm leaning towards the Dell.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 2:16:13 PM

Stochastic said:
I agree. I see additional vertical resolution as a perk, not a necessity.

There are lots of accolades for the Dell but only 2 or 3 reviews that I've seen for the Viewsonic model, which is another reason why I'm leaning towards the Dell.


Indeed.

TFT centrals review of the viewsonic seems pretty neutral, but maybe the pros line up with your priorities. You might also check out the NEC EA series, which has a couple 24" e-IPS monitors. Not sure how they are for gaming, but my guess is not as good as the Dell.

I've also heard good things about Samsung's new monitors which use a proprietary panel that's comparable to IPS:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a c 110 C Monitor
May 3, 2012 3:52:16 PM

they do make rotating monitors which can be in portrait for landscape modes. pretty nifty for photoshop or even text editing!

in the end... any monitor will work for gaming. you need one that fits all of your tasks and not just one.
m
0
l
!