Sharp Zaurus - will it play the linux version of ADOM?

Last response: in Video Games
February 26, 2005 5:06:36 PM

I've been eyballing replacing my Dell PocketPC with a Sharp Zaurus
SL-3000 (I'll omit the various places you can get one for fear of being
labeled an "advertizement"). This is a handheld that runs Linux in a
clamshell like a mini laptop. It has 64mb of RAM, a 4GB hard drive, and
runs the screen at 640 X 480. It has both SD and CF-II expansion slots
and runs a 416MHz Intel XScale CPU.

Now, here is my question for all you Linux buffs out there (since my
Linux knowledge could be inscribed on the head of a pin):

Can ADOM potentially run on this system? The flavor of Linux lists
"bash 2.05 with BusyBox 0.60.4" and Linux Kernal 2.4.20

Is the OS a limiting factor, or is the CPU architecture not compatable?

How do I know I'm an ADOM geek? I'm considering a $800 palmtop to play
ADOM.

Thanks everyone!
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 11:40:06 PM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:06:36 -0800, Rienen wrote:

> I've been eyballing replacing my Dell PocketPC with a Sharp Zaurus
> SL-3000 (I'll omit the various places you can get one for fear of being
> labeled an "advertizement"). This is a handheld that runs Linux in a
> clamshell like a mini laptop. It has 64mb of RAM, a 4GB hard drive, and
> runs the screen at 640 X 480. It has both SD and CF-II expansion slots
> and runs a 416MHz Intel XScale CPU.
>
> Now, here is my question for all you Linux buffs out there (since my
> Linux knowledge could be inscribed on the head of a pin):
>
> Can ADOM potentially run on this system? The flavor of Linux lists
> "bash 2.05 with BusyBox 0.60.4" and Linux Kernal 2.4.20
>
> Is the OS a limiting factor, or is the CPU architecture not compatable?

The OS is fine, its a real linux machine, and it runs regular linux
binaries. Assumingit fits into RAM and is graphically compatible with
QTopia, an app will run (and if its not QTopia compatible, there are ROMs
you can flash which have real X on them).
However, as you note its an XScale chip, and ADOM is binary-only, and
XScale linux isn't one of the available flavors. However, qemu, dosbox and
bochs all can run on the X ROMs, and possibly on the default ROM too.
Whether or not performance is good enough to make ADOM playable, I don't
know (both qemu and dosbox are pretty fast, bochs is pretty slow).

You might try posting this question at www.zaurususergroup.com and seeing
if they can tell you anything useful.
!