MN-500 sudden loss of connectivity

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The title says it all. I have the MN-500 with Windows XP SP2. All was
running fine for weeks until yesterday when I came home from work and
noticed I had lost all Internet access. The wireless connection to my laptop
doesn't work either. I tried restarting and resetting the MN-500 as well as
restarting the modem and computer. I've looked in the base station settings
with the Management Tool but don't see anything different from when I last
looked. I can connect fine when I bypass the MN-500 and connect the modem
directly to the computer. I have the latest firmware update for the base
station already. I also installed the latest Windows updates today...still
nothing. (I've had SP2 for a few weeks already)

I searched the newsgroup for this issue but couldn't find anything to try
that I haven't already tried. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

One of the first things to try when none of your connections are working
through the base station/router is to reset your DSL modem. Just unplug it
for a few minutes, and at the same time unplug the base station.

I've got Verizon as the actual DSL supplier, even though my ISP is
different, and they sometimes update their system firmware or switch
connections around. Until I let the modem reset, then after all the lights
are properly displaying, restore the power to the base station, I don't have
the proper connection.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Mikey" <hoho@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The title says it all. I have the MN-500 with Windows XP SP2. All was
> running fine for weeks until yesterday when I came home from work and
> noticed I had lost all Internet access. The wireless connection to my
> laptop doesn't work either. I tried restarting and resetting the MN-500 as
> well as restarting the modem and computer. I've looked in the base station
> settings with the Management Tool but don't see anything different from
> when I last looked. I can connect fine when I bypass the MN-500 and
> connect the modem directly to the computer. I have the latest firmware
> update for the base station already. I also installed the latest Windows
> updates today...still nothing. (I've had SP2 for a few weeks already)
>
> I searched the newsgroup for this issue but couldn't find anything to try
> that I haven't already tried. Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I tried that and still nothing. The cables are ok, all lights are green and
I still connect fine when the modem is connected directly to the computer.
Any other thoughts?

Mike

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> One of the first things to try when none of your connections are working
> through the base station/router is to reset your DSL modem. Just unplug
> it for a few minutes, and at the same time unplug the base station.
>
> I've got Verizon as the actual DSL supplier, even though my ISP is
> different, and they sometimes update their system firmware or switch
> connections around. Until I let the modem reset, then after all the
> lights are properly displaying, restore the power to the base station, I
> don't have the proper connection.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Mikey" <hoho@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> The title says it all. I have the MN-500 with Windows XP SP2. All was
>> running fine for weeks until yesterday when I came home from work and
>> noticed I had lost all Internet access. The wireless connection to my
>> laptop doesn't work either. I tried restarting and resetting the MN-500
>> as well as restarting the modem and computer. I've looked in the base
>> station settings with the Management Tool but don't see anything
>> different from when I last looked. I can connect fine when I bypass the
>> MN-500 and connect the modem directly to the computer. I have the latest
>> firmware update for the base station already. I also installed the latest
>> Windows updates today...still nothing. (I've had SP2 for a few weeks
>> already)
>>
>> I searched the newsgroup for this issue but couldn't find anything to try
>> that I haven't already tried. Any ideas would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mike

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

After doing 3 hard resets, struggling with the configuration wizard with
freeze-ups, etc. and screwing around with my other computer (a laptop), all
seems to be working. But this has happened before and the next time it
happens, the router becomes a doorstop and the wireless card a bookmark. <g>

Mikey