Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Send HDMI through DVI?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 4, 2012 2:55:17 AM

Heya. I have a question.

I'm looking at some monitors on Newegg. I'm currently using a crappy CRT monitor with really bad colors. I have to turn up the brightness in my AMD Vision Control Center really high in order to see anything decently, and even then many colors are still too dark.

So I'm looking for an LCD monitor.

My video card is a Radeon HD 3870. It has DVI outputs, and the details for that card on Newegg says that it supports HDMI with an adapter.

I don't really know much about this, so I've been researching. But I can't find the answer I'm looking for.

So my question is this. If the card can send HDMI through DVI, will I need to get a DVI to HDMI adapter to get the full HDMI goodness (if there's a difference)? Or is it possible for a monitor to do HDMI entirely through a DVI cable if both the monitor and the card can do HDMI?

I'm currently looking at this monitor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is my video card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you very much in advance!

More about : send hdmi dvi

a c 195 C Monitor
May 4, 2012 4:32:55 AM

You don't really need to worry about anything. The monitor supports DVI, HDMI and VGA (D-Sub).

The info regarding the card simply means that should you need to connect the card to a HDMI port you can do so by using a DVI to HDMI adapter.

HDMI ports can send/receive both audio and video signals. DVI only sends video signals so when using a DVI to HDMI adapter only video will be transmitted to the monitor. That's not a big deal since the monitor does not have speakers.
m
l
May 4, 2012 3:07:49 PM

So there's no difference between just using DVI and using a DVI to HDMI adapter? Like there won't be some kind of higher quality video signal or whatever using HDMI?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 195 C Monitor
May 4, 2012 10:06:27 PM

As long as the same quality components are used for the DVI and HDMI ports there will be no difference in quality.

As stated, the only difference between the two is that HDMI can send/receive audio and video.
May 5, 2012 4:02:34 AM

Thank you very much!
m
l
May 5, 2012 4:03:24 AM

Best answer selected by Amaroq.
m
l
!