Hi all,

I have just put together a new system based on;

Athlon T-Bird 1.1Ghz
Abit KT7-Raid
Micron 128Mb with Parity cl2 * 2
Voodoo 5 5500
Sound Blaster live platinum
misc 10/100 ethernet card
2 * IBM 46 GB ATA100 disks (on raid channel with proper cable)
Philips 10x DVD on ide port 1.
NEC Floppy

The problem;

Went into bios and setup 1100 mhz CPU (there is no default option for this cpu in the bios)

Rebooted the PC and setup raid array. Rebooted to dos floppy to format etc.

Himem.sys gives memory errors 25% of the time, if it gets past himem then the system reboots.

If I leave the system alone it locks solid after about 2-5 mins in the bios screen cpu temp about 65-75 degrees celcius.

After some messing I selected the failsafe bios defaults and rebooted, now the system will only work if I press insert as I power on :p

Questions,

What bios settings should I be using? After consulting Toms review of the 1.1Ghz T-bird I set core voltage to 1.75 volts, but what should the I/o voltage be?

The cpu has 4 small pads of felt on it, after reading about cpu fans breaking the cpu I bent the fan clip so to reduce the pressure of the fan on the cpu. Could I have the fan to loose? how tight should it be?

Help!!!

Thanks in advance.

Jed Glover.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Update your bios!!! It sounds like you are overclocking your CPU. Thats why u get the freezes and the problems. I have a Abit-KT7 board and mine supports up to 1.2ghz in the bios. Word for the wise...if you don't know your CPU settings...don't screw with it, or you're going to have a nice CPU paper weight.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Your CPU is running way to hot especially at idle. What are you using for a heatsink and fan? Are they seated properly over the processor. Temps with a stock HSF should be about 50-55 degrees C. A better HSF will have temps in the 40's (or better) at idle. You've got to get temps down before you worry about anything else.

G

I think the previous reply may be right. Do try to to use a better cooler and fan , or if u're juz using a simple heat sink and generic fan , I'd advise u to use a little thermal grease.It juz cost a few dollars , and u only require very little, but it does makes a difference. my cpu runs at around 65 deg celsius max... On the other hand check if u have enabled auto shutdown temp. under hardware monitor in u'r bios. I hav come across a problem where the system shuts down on its own because the shut down temp. was set too low in the bios. try not to exceed 70(or 80 if not possible) deg celsius for a socket A chip.

G

Thanks for the reply guys.

Here is what I did to resolve my problems.

Discharged CMOS and reset for 1100mhz CPU with default core voltage.
Flashed KT7_UL.bin (latest available from ABIT).
Setup CMOS again after flash.
Checked heat sink, seems to be seated OK.

After this the system is running stable with a max CPU temp of 38 degrees.

Later,

Jed

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't understand how those BIOS changes lowered your CPU temps but I am glad your system is no longer running hot.

I wasn't aware of any KT7-RAID BIOS updates. I'd ask for details but I can go check for myself. Although, my system isn't broken so I don't want to fix anything.

Enjoy your new computer configuration.

Phsstpok

"I don't think. I know." or "I don't think I know."