cooling problem p3 600?

G

I have a katmai p3 600 on an asus pc3 2000 mobo..

recently i noticed that my processor had a temparature of 80 degrees celsius. And im wondering is this normal ??

I know this is an old katmai and the fastest available , but if i compare this to my celerons that didnt go above 50 celsius heavily overclocked... i`m wondering if this is normal ?

Hey man i dont know .. i just think i do !!

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
80 degrees is nothing. Some CPU's run over 100...specially Athlons.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

G

Hmmmm.... ok but if i look at the reviews on pabst pages the athlon 1100 mentioned there does not go beyond 50 degrees or is this farenheit ?

While my old p3 600 goes to 80 degrees celsius according to the mobo sensors. Thats actually what triggered my question. I`m just afraid that my cooling is inadequate thats all.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's way to hot! 50C is 122F. 80C is 176F. SoulReaper is referring to fahrenheit. Your PIII should be running well below 50C (probably in the 30's). I'm suprised your chip isn't dead at 80C. Check to make sure the heatsink is aligned properly on the CPU. Since your computer still runs it could be a false reading though.

G

Thanks,

thought as much. I think the reading is incorrect thow as it says 80C right after starting up... The computer had been turned off for at least 5 hours.. Enough time to make it cool down .. So i will see if the heatsink is attached properly.. I bought it in a box .. so the heatsink is a good one (intel)It is a slot 1 processor so i will have to check if the mechanism is still intact. I recently removed the heatsink . It probably wasnt connected properly. I do have ockups every once in a while, mostly during games after say 2 to 3 hours. My pc just freezes. This may be related to the heat problem .. I hope nit offcourse .. The wierd part is however the heatsink itsself isn that hot ..

Well ilkl keep you posted and thanks for the advice

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I suggest you check everything over carefully before something burns out. You might want to use another software monitor to double-check the temperature.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

last addition my heatsink was slighly damaged (the grease that is) and not properly aligned on my processor hence the high temparature. I put a small piece of aluminium between the heatsink and prc. die and now my pc runs at 32 to 40C .. a lot better i would say. Btw the processor can take up to 120C before it shuts down ..

my last two cents ..