4 talents for a character that should have had 2...

Honestly, I'm not being thick - my dark elven ranger, born in the month of
Dragon, Mana of 21, and with stats totalling 155 (not divisible by 7), got 4
starting talents, when rightly he should have had but two... Has anyone
else been victim to ADM throwing free talents at the start of the game? I'm
not complaining too much - means I get to start the game with Ambidextrous
and Treasure Hunter...

--
Darren Grey

"Darren Grey" <anything@darrenchaz.vispa.com$> wrote:
> Honestly, I'm not being thick - my dark elven ranger, born in the month of
> Dragon, Mana of 21, and with stats totalling 155 (not divisible by 7), got
4
> starting talents, when rightly he should have had but two... Has anyone
> else been victim to ADM throwing free talents at the start of the game?
I'm
> not complaining too much - means I get to start the game with Ambidextrous
> and Treasure Hunter...

Okay, okay, I have to raise my hand and admit stupidity here - when I
entered Terinyo I had a Giant Spider following me! I somehow pressed h for
Bard instead of c for Ranger when generating my character, fool that I am...
Of course, that means I missed out on the chance for free SLB - on the plus
side though he's got an almost perfect combination of Skills, sp I might
give him a whizz till he dies in the puppy cave (or in the bandit
village...)

But hrm, that still leaves me with one dilemna - what attribtes are used in
the calculation to determine the "lucky" extra talent? I tried calculating
it with both primary and secondary attributes, trying lots of combinations,
and I still couldn't figure out how the total of his stats is divisible by
7... Not that it matters much, since it's always random - no control over
it at all - but I'm still curious...

--
Darren Grey

Darren Grey wrote:
> Honestly, I'm not being thick - my dark elven ranger, born in the month of
> Dragon, Mana of 21, and with stats totalling 155 (not divisible by 7), got 4
> starting talents, when rightly he should have had but two... Has anyone
> else been victim to ADM throwing free talents at the start of the game? I'm
> not complaining too much - means I get to start the game with Ambidextrous
> and Treasure Hunter...

I'm guessing (besides the class mix-up you mentioned in another post)
that you didn't realize Alert raises your Pe by 1 after the number of
talents has already been assigned. 154 happens to be divisible by 7.

Teemu

"Teemu Kokki" <tkokki@hut.invalid> wrote in message
> Darren Grey wrote:
> > Honestly, I'm not being thick - my dark elven ranger, born in the month
of
> > Dragon, Mana of 21, and with stats totalling 155 (not divisible by 7),
got 4
> > starting talents, when rightly he should have had but two... Has anyone
> > else been victim to ADM throwing free talents at the start of the game?
I'm
> > not complaining too much - means I get to start the game with
Ambidextrous
> > and Treasure Hunter...
>
> I'm guessing (besides the class mix-up you mentioned in another post)
> that you didn't realize Alert raises your Pe by 1 after the number of
> talents has already been assigned. 154 happens to be divisible by 7.

Aha! You are indeed utterly correct, and I have thus demonstrated myself to
be an utter fool :)

Thank you kindly.

--
Darren Grey

Hi!
I've never even heard about this thing, divisible by 7. So, what things
affect amount of talents?

I failed miserably to keep a straight face when I read that
on 10 Mar 2005 06:32:34 -0800, jonatanlehtonen@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi!
> I've never even heard about this thing, divisible by 7. So, what things
> affect amount of talents?

The following is in the manual, section F (start ADOM, type 'mf'):

Initial Talents
---------------

The initial number of talents is determined according to the following
rules:

- Every character receives one base talent.
- Characters born under the sign of Falcon or Candle receive one
free talent.
- Characters with a Mana score of 18 or more receive one free
talent.
- Gnomes and hurthlings receive one free talent.
- Bards, merchants and farmers receive one free talent.
- Characters whose sum of attributes is divisable by 7 receive one
free talent (this represents some inborn magical luck or talent).

Léon (aka Oliphaunt)

--
"Linux is very fast.
It can do an infinite loop in about 5 seconds."