Which CPU - AMD or Intel?

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am building a new system, and have not decided on AMD or Intel. If Intel, I plan on using the ASUS CUSL2 and a P3 800EB. If AMD, I will use the ABIT KT7-RAID with a 900MHZ Thunderbird.

My concerns are the stability issues with the VIA chipsets used on the AMD platforms. Are they less stable then the Intel 815? I am looking for a rock solid system.

My other concern is the power consumption and heat production of the Thunderbird. I will use AMD certified parts (300w power supply and AMD cooling fan). Is the heat produced by the Thunderbird an issue? The P3 uses about half the power and produces less heat. Should I even be concerned about this? My PC will be on 18 hours a day.

I am leaning towards AMD as it is less expensive, but have doubts as to the stability of the platform as a whole.

Any opinions? THANX!

G

I would go for the AMD chip at the moment...
I have a T-Bird 800 and plenty of other bits in with it and keep the PC on For weeks at a time and suffer no probs at all.... if you are worried about the heat put an extra case fan in ....

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You might want to consider the MSI K7T Pro2 board instead of the Abit. I've heard it's the most stable AMD board. I would recommend an AMD system.

Here's a socket A motherboards roundup:
<A HREF="http://www2.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1374" target="_new">http://www2.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1374</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AMD may make the best processor, but Intel hands down makes the best chipset. After suffering compatability issues for years with Via chipsets, I gave up on AMD until someone invents something better! Remember that compatability is just as big an issue for some of us as stability or performance. A PIII 700 is cheap and goes to 933 with plenty of room to spare.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
GO with the CUSL2 and 800E CPU for the highest compatability and performance.
If you buy AMD you might get a lil higher Mhz, alot less compatable and probably run you close to the same price at the end. Also you will have to wait for new AMD chipset to be released.
Heat is not really an issue, unless your CPU fan fails = AMD blows goats. AMD has no logic in CPU to prevent it from burning itself up. Intel does.

Remeber Intel is not in the business of making a AMD compatable CPU. and AMD is not 100% compatable.

Like AMD with its $50 price difference = Mhz is really gonna break the bank. If you cant afford the $50 bucks you deserve AMD.

The same analogy applies to 700Mhz celeron vs 700Mhz Tbird.
Celeron is cheaper, does that make it better? I dont think so.

G

Do what fugger said he seems to know what he is talking about. A real expert.;)

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Go with AMD, I have not had any compatibility problems and you don't have to worry about your chip getting recalled.
Wow, maybe that was a cheap shot.

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Pull your head out, FUGGER. Have you ever used an Athlon system? I think not!

Going with an Athlon system is a no brainer!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You are so stupid!!! FUGGER is right. You are a [-peep-]er.

"700 celeron vs 700 tbird, the celeron is cheaper does that make it better"

few things to say:

1. You just dissed Intel
2. celeron isn't cheaper than Thunderbird
3. It's more like this: "700 celeron vs. 700 tbird, the tbird is cheaper and faster, that makes it better"
4. even if the 700 celeron was a bit cheaper than the 700 tbird, it wouldn't be the best cause it's 30%-50% slower.
5. You just dissed Intel!

G

Only note I have as I'll stay out of the holy wars this is sparking is that FUGGER has repeatedly shown no objectivity in his posts and I would recommend not paying them any attention. At least until he can get beyond his bias I will not read anything he posts except for the humor value of it.

End recommendation, listen to facts, not hype.

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Depends on what you plan to use your system for, but for the most part, go towards AMD.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

I have used many different types of CPU's; but the Intel line was the most reliable for me. Stick with leader you will be better off. Once the CPU is been in use for a while in the market the intel's keep their value and can be recycled easier for your older PC's.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Let's settle this once and for all VIA is CRAP..Garbage..I can't even believe that any companies would put them in a system that they have to warantee, unless they are Compaq or were Packard Bell! I have a LOT of experience with AMD's on VIA chipsets. And always, driver issues, system crashes, or poor performance. As soon as I got all the VIA drivers loaded the performance went up, but with an even greater problem with instability and incompatability. ALWAYS. Every single time! I quit selling ANYTHING with a VIA chipset because the service work would have eventually put me out of business!
I am talking, on average, 2 hours of labor a week on any sytem with a VIA chipset. I always used to blame Windows, and the problem is in part the fault of software writers who write their stuff with only intel in mind, but GIVE ME A BREAK! So, when NVIDIA and MICRON finally release their chipsets, MORE POWER TO THEM! VIA is going DOWN for the hell they put me through! I used to build AMD systems on ALI or SIS chipsets because the lower performance was offset by higher reliability. I love AMD, I love what they've done for the consumer, and I think their processor is FAR SUPERIOR to the PIII, but I will NOT MAKE ANOTHER SACRIFICE for VIA!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i agree VIA is crap. i used to think so till it was P-III, i suffered most with their TX98 and BX98. but with KT133, i think VIA has done one hell of a job. not only they have produced a superb performance machine, but seems to be more compatible than any of their other chipsets, especially their southbridges. i took a chance for them with a DAMN Luckystar K7VAT (I wanted the MSI or Biostar, but my dealer dint have them (I might add that I am in India where dealers dont have to keep what users need, users have to buy what the dealers have) my wallet was not ready for A7V) and troubles started from day one, and strange troubles. i lost my mouse one day, got it back after a reboot. the system rebooted out of the blue occasionally, and "one of" my CD-ROM drives dint work. i blamed it on windows, hard disk, memory and what not. it was the same old story i had with the VIA BX98. i was pretty sure it wasnt the KT133, until one fine day i got out and bought an A7V! since then, my Duron 600 on A7V runs fine, never had such an experience with intel chips and chipsets. till date i havent had *any* compatibility problems and the machine is stable as a rock. i am thinking of overclocking it to its limit.

i guess the motherboard maker has to make better boards, chipsets are good in their own right. be it a bit expensive, make sure you get a *good* board from a reputed manufacturer for once.

girish

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
and keep SiS out. dont even utter S-I-S, period.

and as far as ALi goes, i have had pretty good experiences with it. may not perform at par with their peers (although the AMD K6-II 350 on my RedFox ALi1542/1543 (that too - older version with no ATA/66 support) board runs like a P-II) but they are sure reliable. and i havent had any compatibility probs with it either. and i am much excited about their ALiMAgik1 chipset, it is indeed a better option *if* the motherboard makers use its ability to use both standard PC66/PC100/PC133 SDRAM as well as DDR266-SDRAM (although not at once) it would be a better option for upgrade concious people, start with SDR amd migrate to DDR. hoping to try it sometime next year.

girish

G

you want <b>rock solid</b>? ok, that fine. use fingers to count.
you can build a rock solid system with luck.
just do a little bit more search around this forum.
you'll get some idea on it.
i.e. A7V - some ppl built a ROCK SOLID system from ground up smoothly while some others keep asking for help and their parts list are almost the same! (t-bird, golden orb, sblive, gf2...)

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>