how to drink from pools?

Teach me, please, how to use pools. Every time I drink from pools I
soon get dommed and all good I have removed.

Which approach one should use to get smth useful from pool and not die
due to negative effects? Currently I am runnning very promising Dark
Elf archer lvl17, I found a pool in Big Room.

Bye.
Sincerely yours, Mike.

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
[some advices]

Some times I managed to survive and drink all pools in darkforge (for
example) but outcome was always negative -- i.e. regardless how much
positive stuff I get I always end with negative balance at the end.
Sometimes it was like RNG is mocking me -- I did trip to dwarftown's
altar thrice in a row just because every time I was receiving dooming
with every first sip :))

By the way -- today my god destroyed my equipment with SLB :((. I was
converting neutral altar.

Spolier: I came to dwarftown extremely chaotic, priest asked me to
convert before we could speak. I sac'ed 1 gold on dwarftown's altar and
became NC immediately :)

Bye.
Sincerely yours, Mike.

Crusader Mike wrote:

Fairly spoily I guess

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

> Teach me, please, how to use pools. Every time I drink from pools I
> soon get dommed and all good I have removed.
>
> Which approach one should use to get smth useful from pool and not die
> due to negative effects? Currently I am runnning very promising Dark
> Elf archer lvl17, I found a pool in Big Room.

The most important thing you need is a co-aligned altar reasonably
close by, and good piety. A single sacrifice will remove cursing and
dooming and restore lucky and fate smiles, if you have the piety level.
I seem to recall reading that a pool will never grant a wish if you
are currently doomed, so unless it's a major trek away, as soon as
you are doomed you should remove it before you drink again.

Other than that, a means of curing sickness (this can be an altar if
it's very close, or more usually curia mancox herbs), ability to cure
or fight poison for when water snakes appear, and generally being of
sufficient power to tackle a water elemental, should the need arise.
Teleport control from an item, or a spare blink dog corpse, are also
highly desirable, though not necessary to survive.