Sign in with
Your question

Can't get any sound from pc to tv

Last response: in Windows 7
January 2, 2013 4:53:12 AM

Hello,
I bought a new computer and it doesn't have a HDMI plug on it, but it does have a DVI plug, I bought an adapter to make it HDMI and when I pluged the HDMI cable tomy tv HSMI plug I can get netflix to come on but I have no sound. I even took a audio cable that plugs in speaker slot and red and white audio into tv still nothing. CAN ANYONE tell me what I have to do to get sound?

More about : sound

January 2, 2013 5:27:35 AM

play around with your tv audio settings. it takes a bit of tinkering for your tv to detect the source of the audio especially from the PC, sometimes.

a 2.5/3.5mm audio connector to composite audio like yours has failed me twice in the past, so i suggest trying a 2.5mm/3.5mm audio connector from PC to TV.

or easier yet, if your tv doesn't have a 2.5/3.5mm audio input port, use a speaker or a headphone/earphone if you don't have any, to connect straight from the PC. personally, slightly better audio than the one on the TV in most cases.
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2013 5:29:02 AM

The HDMI/DVI/VGA plugs on the TV are usually set so that only sound coming through the HDMI cable will be played. (unless your tv has the option to switch audio channels or specific inputs for audio for the hdmi port)

Look on the back of your TV and see if there is such a thing like the ones in the following picture.

then all you gotta do is connect a 3.5mm cable from the green connector on the back of your computer to the linked sound connector.
m
l
January 2, 2013 5:31:09 AM

If your converting dvi to hdmi youll need to route the sound using phono connectors; as shown above.
m
l
!