Samsung SW-252B and Dimension 8400

So, I replaced the rather noisy Sony CD-RW drive in my Dimension 8400 with
the Samsung SW-252B CD-RW and installed the Nero software which came with
it. The drive works fine although somewhat slower than it burned on my old
desktop. The buffer keeps bottoming out which is slowing it down. But the
CD which I just made works just fine.

Anyway, when booting the system up I get a message that it can't recognize
the CD-RW drive and to hit F1 to continue or F2 to run the setup utility.
Hitting F2 just puts me in the BIOS and I don't see any place to set up
that drive. Hitting F1 just boots as normal. Does anyone know of how I
can either set up the BIOS to recognize the drive on booting or set it up
so I don't get that message that it doesn't recognize the drive?

One more thing while we're on the topic, I noticed while I had the case
open that both the DVD-ROM and CD-RW drive were set up for cable select
instead of master and slave. I left it on cable select at first, but after
the not recognizing message on bootup I changed it to master and slave.
Which is better?

Dave
--
We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

US Army Signal Corps!
www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

If you removed the Sony and plugged in the Samsung, the BIOS should have
been set properly already. Cable select is correct for most modern
computers. Assuming you changed nothing else, my guess is something is
jumpered incorrectly.

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:22:56 GMT, WSZsr wrote:

> If you removed the Sony and plugged in the Samsung, the BIOS should have
> been set properly already. Cable select is correct for most modern
> computers. Assuming you changed nothing else, my guess is something is
> jumpered incorrectly.

Yeah, just swapped them out. I might try switching the two drives around
and I'll set them both back to cable select when I'm back in there. I
don't know what else there is to jumper other than the master/slave/cable
select plug.

Dave
--
We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

US Army Signal Corps!
www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:22:56 GMT, WSZsr wrote:

> If you removed the Sony and plugged in the Samsung, the BIOS should have
> been set properly already. Cable select is correct for most modern
> computers. Assuming you changed nothing else, my guess is something is
> jumpered incorrectly.

This is the error message I'm getting:

Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE Slave)

It doesn't really give much information. I'm searching the 'net now to see
if there is any information on this, but so far it's not looking good.

Dave
--

> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:22:56 GMT, WSZsr wrote:
>
>> If you removed the Sony and plugged in the Samsung, the BIOS should have
>> been set properly already. Cable select is correct for most modern
>> computers. Assuming you changed nothing else, my guess is something is
>> jumpered incorrectly.
>
> This is the error message I'm getting:
>
> Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE Slave)
>
> It doesn't really give much information. I'm searching the 'net now to
> see
> if there is any information on this, but so far it's not looking good.
>
> Dave

Tempest, teapot deal.

Jumper both drives to cable select /CS, boot up into BIOS and press ALT+F to
default all settings and force IDE re-detection. Escape/right arrow to
save/exit. Enter.

System should re-detect all drives immediately after exit. As long as the
CDRW is cabled securely with nothing loose or isn't buggy, that should cure
it.

Stew

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:07:55 -0500, S.Lewis wrote:

>> This is the error message I'm getting:
>>
>> Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE Slave)
>>
>> It doesn't really give much information. I'm searching the 'net now to
>> see
>> if there is any information on this, but so far it's not looking good.
>
> Tempest, teapot deal.
>
> Jumper both drives to cable select /CS, boot up into BIOS and press ALT+F to
> default all settings and force IDE re-detection. Escape/right arrow to
> save/exit. Enter.
>
> System should re-detect all drives immediately after exit. As long as the
> CDRW is cabled securely with nothing loose or isn't buggy, that should cure
> it.

Okay, I'll go do that now and let you know. Thanks for your help!

Dave
--
We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

US Army Signal Corps!
www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:07:55 -0500, S.Lewis wrote:

> Tempest, teapot deal.
>
> Jumper both drives to cable select /CS, boot up into BIOS and press ALT+F to
> default all settings and force IDE re-detection. Escape/right arrow to
> save/exit. Enter.
>
> System should re-detect all drives immediately after exit. As long as the
> CDRW is cabled securely with nothing loose or isn't buggy, that should cure
> it.

Now it's not detecting either of the optical drives. I have a DVD-ROM at
the end of the IDE cable with the Samsung drive in the middle. Both are
set to cable select. I'm getting Drive 4 not found and drive 5 not found
errors. When I boot to Windows I can see the Samsung drive but not the DVD
drive at all. It's not even listed in the device manager.

I'm going to swap the position of the drives on the cable and see what
happens.

Dave
--
We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

US Army Signal Corps!
www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

And, to be doubly sure, check that both drives have their jumpers in the CS
(cable select) position... Ben Myers

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 02:38:57 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:

>>I'm going to swap the position of the drives on the cable and see what
>>happens.
>
> And, to be doubly sure, check that both drives have their jumpers in the CS
> (cable select) position... Ben Myers

Swapping the drives position on the cable did the trick! Yes, both were
set to CS. I moved the DVD-ROM drive from the master position (end of the
IDE cable) to the slave position (middle connector) and the Samsung CD-RW
drive from the middle to the end of the IDE cable. Booted up and went all
the way into Windows where XP detected and installed drivers for both
drives. Rebooted into BIOS and both were showing up just fine.

Thanks all and here is the information for the next person who searches
Google looking for an answer! :)

Dave
--

> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 02:38:57 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
>
>>>I'm going to swap the position of the drives on the cable and see what
>>>happens.
>>
>> And, to be doubly sure, check that both drives have their jumpers in the
>> CS
>> (cable select) position... Ben Myers
>
> Swapping the drives position on the cable did the trick! Yes, both were
> set to CS. I moved the DVD-ROM drive from the master position (end of the
> IDE cable) to the slave position (middle connector) and the Samsung CD-RW
> drive from the middle to the end of the IDE cable. Booted up and went all
> the way into Windows where XP detected and installed drivers for both
> drives. Rebooted into BIOS and both were showing up just fine.
>
> Thanks all and here is the information for the next person who searches
> Google looking for an answer! :)
>
> Dave
> --

Glad you found your solution. As a side note:

1) Some drives don't play well together and will require a certain cable
position no matter how you jumper the drives. You apparently found that
combination with your optical drives.

2) A flaky or dying drive (hard disk OR optical drive) can puke an entire
IDE channel, meaning, make other drives disappear or corrupt both drive IDs
in BIOS.

Stew

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:26:34 -0500, S.Lewis wrote:

> Glad you found your solution. As a side note:
>
> 1) Some drives don't play well together and will require a certain cable
> position no matter how you jumper the drives. You apparently found that
> combination with your optical drives.

I had wondered that and was going to try swapping them anyway since I would
be using the CD-RW drive a lot more than the DVD-ROM drive.

> 2) A flaky or dying drive (hard disk OR optical drive) can puke an entire
> IDE channel, meaning, make other drives disappear or corrupt both drive IDs
> in BIOS.

One thing I did find and repair was the power connector which was going to
the DVD-ROM drive at the end of the cable. One of the metal plugs was bent
a little wider than the others. I bent it back with a small screwdriver.
I'm not sure if that might have been a problem because the DVD-ROM drive
had been working before but my plugging and unplugging the power cable
during all this might have widened it too much.

Dave
--
We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

US Army Signal Corps!
www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:50:16 -0600, David Casey
<sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:22:56 GMT, WSZsr wrote:
>
>> If you removed the Sony and plugged in the Samsung, the BIOS should have
>> been set properly already. Cable select is correct for most modern
>> computers. Assuming you changed nothing else, my guess is something is
>> jumpered incorrectly.
>
>This is the error message I'm getting:
>
>Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE Slave)
>
>It doesn't really give much information. I'm searching the 'net now to see
>if there is any information on this, but so far it's not looking good.
>
>Dave

I've gotten this same error message several times on my 2 week old XPS
Gen3 box, relating to the DVD\RW drive. A reboot has always "fixed"
it. Wonder what's up with that.