Pentium 4 upgrade?

G

I remember seeing something about the Pentium 4 (current) being outdated by a socket change in the near future. Does anyone know when the "new" version of the P4 will be introduced? Seems silly to pick one up now(if that is your flavor of processor).

Thanks,
Jon

G

I think, though I may be mistaken, that this was referring to the fact that Intel keeps changing their socket specs with each new processor. The life of the P3 was relatively short and the socket of the P4 is incompatible with that of the P3. Expectations are that Intel will either change the socket again before the end of the P4's life (about a year and a half, I expect) like they have done with the "latest and greatest" or they will just change to a new processor very soon. And, might I add, the P4 IS about to have a new brother (from most reports). Intel is supposedly working on another chip or two. Though I do not think the other chip(s) is meant for the consumer level market (a workstation or server chip). Basically, things are in such tumult right now that chipsets, sockets, RAM and processors are changing almost overnight it seems.

Charles

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Intel will be switching sockets in Q2 or Q3 2001 when they release their <i>Brookdale</i> chipset. This will have a new socket design: <i>mPGA478</i>. The current <i>Williamette</i> P4's will be phased out by the newer <i>Northwood</i> P4's released the same as the new chipset. So don't expect a long lifespan for the current P4 design.

Here's Tom's article:
<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q4/001013/roadmap-02.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q4/001013/roadmap-02.html</A>

G

Don't buy yet either if the Demand for the P4 is low (as it will be at the moment), Intel will keep dropping the price to make it sell.......

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
there will be a p4 overdrive by sum company or intel them selves. like the classic 486 + 586 overdrive those company's made alot of $$$. so expect something like that sooner or later

TRENDING THREADS