axier

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I have a 12x cd toaster that has been worked perfectly until two days ago. I have winXp installed with the 1st service pack and it has been working perfectly, recording the cds in 4/5 minutes. But two days ago it started to recording in 30-40 minutes! The cds are well done but I don't know the reason of that exaggerated time. The only thing I have changed/installed on system is some new Aspi drivers.

The cd reader goes very slowly and the system also goes very very slowly when the the cd reader or writer is working.

Do you know what can be the solution?
thanks

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Another X-post. Are you planning to post this in all the windows forums?

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Did you check on your device manager whether your primary and secondary ide ATA/ATAPI controller are set to DMA if available? Running on PIO mode will slow down a lot of things coz the data transfer will take up a lot of your processor time. While in the case of running on DMA mode, the transfer is handled by the DMA controller and free up your processor.

axier

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
but I don't know how can I check if the DMA is being used or not. At the device admin I don't see anything about that at the reader or writer's device properties.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Open System properties (WinLogo + Pause keys). Click on <b>Hardware</b> tab, then <b><font color=red>Device Manager</b></font color=red>.
Double-click on <b><font color=blue>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers</b></font color=blue>, and check if DMA is enabled on which channel that your CDRW is connected (Primary or Secondary).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.