Bizarre room effect - bug? Scummable?

Okay, I've never seen this before, and I've been playing since... ye
gods, 1997

Adom V1.1.1 Dos version, running on XPSP2

L3 or so human fighter. PC 4 or thereabouts. Get a "this room seems to
vibrate with life, insects, moss, yada yada" room message.

Here's the weird thing: Almost nobody inside the room can inflict any
damage on anyone else (with melee weapons, at least. Got badly zapped by
a dark sage). Lots and lots and lots of hits, but all 'don't manage to
harm'. A goblin slavemaster punched through my chainmail and failed to
hurt me. It's just plain bizarre. I can hold the key down continuously
for minutes at a time, and I just get hungry. I did manage to kill a bat
once, though, so it's not absolute.

Doesn't seem to be getting me any weapon marks, more's the pity.

I do seem to have raised my Find Weakness max to 100, which is muchly cool.

I've kept a copy of the savegame, and a copy of adom_dat while it was
running, in case anyone wants to fiddle with it.

jbc (just plain weirded out)

Don B. Sonozi wrote:

> Okay, I've never seen this before, and I've been playing since... ye
> gods, 1997
>
> Adom V1.1.1 Dos version, running on XPSP2
>
> L3 or so human fighter. PC 4 or thereabouts. Get a "this room seems to
> vibrate with life, insects, moss, yada yada" room message.
>
> Here's the weird thing: Almost nobody inside the room can inflict any
> damage on anyone else (with melee weapons, at least. Got badly zapped by
> a dark sage). Lots and lots and lots of hits, but all 'don't manage to
> harm'. A goblin slavemaster punched through my chainmail and failed to
> hurt me. It's just plain bizarre. I can hold the key down continuously
> for minutes at a time, and I just get hungry. I did manage to kill a bat
> once, though, so it's not absolute.
>
> Doesn't seem to be getting me any weapon marks, more's the pity.
>
> I do seem to have raised my Find Weakness max to 100, which is muchly cool.
>
> I've kept a copy of the savegame, and a copy of adom_dat while it was
> running, in case anyone wants to fiddle with it.

Sorry to disappoint you Don, but this isn't new. It's already in the
Guidebook in fact, here:

http://www.andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-0-13.html

As for the gaining weapon marks, I guess the room WILL allow you to
gain the maximum off each individual monster. I seem to recall
reading though that there is no limit for gaining missile weapon
marks from one monster. Maybe that would be useful.

Damn. Okay, I haven't been playing *continouously* ;)

I was getting that room effect confused with the 'tiny white eggs'
effect, so I didn't assume a connection.

Hmmm.

jbc

Stephen White wrote:
> Don B. Sonozi wrote:
>
>> Okay, I've never seen this before, and I've been playing since... ye
>> gods, 1997
>>
>> Adom V1.1.1 Dos version, running on XPSP2
>>
>> L3 or so human fighter. PC 4 or thereabouts. Get a "this room seems to
>> vibrate with life, insects, moss, yada yada" room message.
>>
>> Here's the weird thing: Almost nobody inside the room can inflict any
>> damage on anyone else (with melee weapons, at least. Got badly zapped
>> by a dark sage). Lots and lots and lots of hits, but all 'don't manage
>> to harm'. A goblin slavemaster punched through my chainmail and failed
>> to hurt me. It's just plain bizarre. I can hold the key down
>> continuously for minutes at a time, and I just get hungry. I did
>> manage to kill a bat once, though, so it's not absolute.
>>
>> Doesn't seem to be getting me any weapon marks, more's the pity.
>>
>> I do seem to have raised my Find Weakness max to 100, which is muchly
>> cool.
>>
>> I've kept a copy of the savegame, and a copy of adom_dat while it was
>> running, in case anyone wants to fiddle with it.
>

> Sorry to disappoint you Don, but this isn't new. It's already in the
> Guidebook in fact, here:
>
> http://www.andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-0-13.html
>
> As for the gaining weapon marks, I guess the room WILL allow you to
> gain the maximum off each individual monster. I seem to recall
> reading though that there is no limit for gaining missile weapon
> marks from one monster. Maybe that would be useful.

TRENDING THREADS