Trying to get balance ultra ending. I fed the ratling, satisfied old
crone. Being lvl48 Dark Elven Archer, crowned champion of Balance -- I
can not enter stone circle at Darknight!! Damn, guidebook specifies
that I do not need anything except ratling fed and crone satisified to
enter circle. What is wrong?

Funny thing that I do not have nor 'Healing' nor 'Food preservation'.
But since I was 'Candle' born healing was not a problem + I was VERY
cautious. Unfortunately since I have no means of getting 'Food
preservation' and no means of training (I am 48lvl) Quickling tree will
not give me much. :(

Interestingly -- it seems that archers becomes almost invincible around
lvl22. At this time they usually have enough ammo, Alertness and
dexterity gives 99% chance to dodge any bolt or magic attack. And if
you firtunate enough (like me) to get ring of immunity -- nobody could
harm you. I killed all orb guardians, killed Ancient Blue Wyrm (then I
killed Sharad-Waador, can not get my alignment back to N= since then
:)) ) -- everything without receiving a scratch.

Could someone give me advice whether I'll be able to do Ultra Ending
(it is my first unscummed game, where I am going to win :) ):
- is he vulnerable to arrows? to which arrows?
- how can I get infinite wishes with archer?
- how dangerous Filk is?
- do I need to complete unicorn quest before, or I can return from
chaos plane after defeating him?

Currently I have 6 SoCR (I was not descended into the Rift yet). And
scumming Blue Dragon cave was a bad idea since I've only got
corruptions, but no SoCRs.

Sincerely yours, Mike.

> > can not enter stone circle at Darknight!! Damn, guidebook specifies
>
> You can only enter the circle during the darkest moment of the
> Darknight; in practice the window seems to be an hour before the
> midnight. If you follow the guidebook's advice of just standing on
the
> circle and pressing '>' repeatedly, you might miss it with bad luck,
> since each '>' will spend approximately 70 to 80 minutes.

I am literate. I can read guide book. I was standing and pressing '>'
all time. Nothing happened, fourweek passed, darknight passed, oneweek
begun. I just can not enter Stone Circle. I do not know why. Maybe it
was because I did not have 'Medal of Chaos' with me, maybe because I am
champion of Balance, maybe because I killed Sharad-Waador. I do not
know. But the fact is that I can not enter this damn circle.
I'll do rift now... maybe I'll get Food Preservation here. Then I'll
have better chances for corpse in Quickling tree. (I have boots of slow
shuffle stored somewhere :) )

> > - is he vulnerable to arrows? to which arrows?
> Yep, at least demon slayers work, probably humanoid slayers too.

How much hitpoints he has?

> > - how can I get infinite wishes with archer?
>
> Same as everyone else I'd suppose, except might be harder to find the

> spellbook of wish, making the potions of exchange approach more
viable.

Pardon? Could you describe this engine? So far I wasted ~10 PoE without
any luck so far (dipping 5 rings).

> > - do I need to complete unicorn quest before, or I can return from
> > chaos plane after defeating him?
>
> No, the game ends the moment you slay him. I practically always go
for
> the black unicorn quest because of the corruption requirement to
enter
> the gate.

Why? It is not hard to be corrupted in this game... And while you are
'gathering' corruption you could scum Scintillating caves, for example.

Bye.
Sincerely yours, Mike.

Gozer

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001

> I am literate. I can read guide book.

If you want help then don't be so sarcastic. Teemu's reply was 100%
correct. It is possible to miss entering the stone circle just due to
bad luck. I had a character who had to wait until the third darknight
before he could enter.

> Maybe it was because I did not have 'Medal of Chaos' with me, maybe
> because I am champion of Balance, maybe because I killed
Sharad-Waador.

No, no, no, no, no. None of those things matter. Just stand on the
circle during darknight and keep trying to enter. Eventually you *will*
get in - but it may not be during the first darknight. You may need to
try during the next darknight (or the one after that if you are really
unlucky like my character was!)

> How much hitpoints he has?

I think I read somewhere that Andy may have around 10000 HPs, but I
can't be sure. In practice, he has a *lot*. A wand of paralyzation
and/or potion of confusion will make your quest a lot easier.

> Pardon? Could you describe this engine? So far I wasted ~10 PoE
without
> any luck so far (dipping 5 rings).

Search the newsgroup. It has been well documented in past threads.

> > No, the game ends the moment you slay him. I practically always go
> > for the black unicorn quest because of the corruption requirement
> > enter the gate.

> Why? It is not hard to be corrupted in this game... And while you are
> 'gathering' corruption you could scum Scintillating caves, for
example.

Because completing the black unicorn quest yields a very nice reward
whereas the white unicorn's reward of corruption cleansing is not of
much use for a champion of chaos or balance going for an ultra ending
because you need to be extremely corrupted before you step into the
gate anyway.

[Lots of spoilers clipped]

Please remember spoiler space.

Crusader Mike wrote:
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
>
> Trying to get balance ultra ending. I fed the ratling, satisfied old
> crone. Being lvl48 Dark Elven Archer, crowned champion of Balance -- I
> can not enter stone circle at Darknight!! Damn, guidebook specifies
> that I do not need anything except ratling fed and crone satisified to
> enter circle. What is wrong?

You can only enter the circle during the darkest moment of the
Darknight; in practice the window seems to be an hour before the
midnight. If you follow the guidebook's advice of just standing on the
circle and pressing '>' repeatedly, you might miss it with bad luck,
since each '>' will spend approximately 70 to 80 minutes.

> Could someone give me advice whether I'll be able to do Ultra Ending
> (it is my first unscummed game, where I am going to win :) ):
> - is he vulnerable to arrows? to which arrows?

Yep, at least demon slayers work, probably humanoid slayers too.
Blessing them always helps. Sometimes he might use some magic to
(unintentionally) block your line of fire, but it shouldn't happen too
often.

> - how can I get infinite wishes with archer?

Same as everyone else I'd suppose, except might be harder to find the
spellbook of wish, making the potions of exchange approach more viable.

> - how dangerous Filk is?

Not at all dangerous, he just has very high DV.

> - do I need to complete unicorn quest before, or I can return from
> chaos plane after defeating him?

No, the game ends the moment you slay him. I practically always go for
the black unicorn quest because of the corruption requirement to enter
the gate.

> Currently I have 6 SoCR (I was not descended into the Rift yet).

Six is all you need if nothing goes seriously wrong, however it never
hurts to have a little backup. You could just write some yourself if you
happen to have a writing set, it doesn't make any difference if your
mana is at 1 after you have the TotRR.

Teemu

Crusader Mike wrote:
>>> can not enter stone circle at Darknight!! Damn, guidebook
>>> specifies
>>
>> If you follow the guidebook's advice of just standing
>> on the circle and pressing '>' repeatedly, you might
>> miss it with bad luck, since each '>' will spend
>> approximately 70 to 80 minutes.
>

> I am literate. I can read guide book. I was standing and
> pressing '>' all time.

It does seem though like you have some problems reading my text. ;-)
Like I said, just standing there repeatedly pressing '>' will make you
miss it occasionally. The correct procedure is to check in advance that
you will really make the one hour window, and if it seems you will miss
it, move to the hills and back to change the cycle.

>>>- is he vulnerable to arrows? to which arrows?
>>
>>Yep, at least demon slayers work, probably humanoid slayers too.
>

> How much hitpoints he has?

I think it usually takes something like 20-30 hits to kill him with the
trident with 6d12+100ish damage.

>>> - how can I get infinite wishes with archer?
>>
>> the potions of exchange approach
>
> Pardon? Could you describe this engine? So far I wasted
> ~10 PoE without any luck so far (dipping 5 rings).

You might need a little more than that to get it going. The whole thing
is described here: http://tinyurl.com/6d4rl

>>> unicorn quest
>>
>> No, the game ends the moment you slay him. I practically
>> always go for the black unicorn quest because of the
>> corruption requirement to enter the gate.
>
> Why? It is not hard to be corrupted in this game...
> And while you are 'gathering' corruption you could
> scum Scintillating caves, for example.

No, it's not hard but I rather choose those potions of gain attributes
instead of clearing the corruption when it isn't necessary. Of course it
all comes down to your playing style, but the way I play I could usually
eat the corpse of Keriax (back when it still made sense), do the black
unicorn quest and get crowned chaotic, and would still have to wait for
some extra corruption after clearing D:50.

Teemu

> Please remember spoiler space.

Just do not read threads that has spoiler place in the root message...
I could add [spoily] at the subject if you insist. Do you insist?

Sincerely yours, Mike.

> If you want help then don't be so sarcastic. Teemu's reply was 100%
> correct. It is possible to miss entering the stone circle just due to
> bad luck. I had a character who had to wait until the third darknight
> before he could enter.

Sorry, guys. I was just pissed off :) and missed that part. RNG was
sometimes really harsh with this hero, and 'bug' with stone circle
really upset me.

> Because completing the black unicorn quest yields a very nice reward
> whereas the white unicorn's reward of corruption cleansing is not of
> much use for a champion of chaos or balance going for an ultra ending
> because you need to be extremely corrupted before you step into the
> gate anyway.

Oops. forgot about reward from Black Unicorn.

Bye.
Sincerely yours, Mike.

> > I am literate. I can read guide book. I was standing and
> > pressing '>' all time.
>
> It does seem though like you have some problems reading my text. ;-)
> Like I said, just standing there repeatedly pressing '>' will make
you
> miss it occasionally. The correct procedure is to check in advance
that
> you will really make the one hour window, and if it seems you will
miss
> it, move to the hills and back to change the cycle.

Sorry, I missed some parts of your explanation. Also it was some kind
of joke, where game word 'literate' applied to real-world situation.
:))

> > Pardon? Could you describe this engine? So far I wasted
> > ~10 PoE without any luck so far (dipping 5 rings).
>
> You might need a little more than that to get it going. The whole
thing
> is described here: http://tinyurl.com/6d4rl

Thanks a lot.

Bye.
Sincerely yours, Mike.

Crusader Mike wrote:

> frobnoid wrote:

Don't snip these attribution lines.

>>Please remember spoiler space.
>

> Just do not read threads that has spoiler place in the root message...
> I could add [spoily] at the subject if you insist. Do you insist?

It wouldn't hurt, but in practice, many readers may jump from thread to
thread without checking the Subject line first, including unspoiled
players. We don't play favourites, so we add spoiler space for their sake.

As for the root message, news servers vary in the length of time they
hang onto old messages, and sometimes the earlier posts in the thread
are simply unavailable. That's one reason why we leave in spoiler space
and attributions.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Birthplace of Teenage Angst

> > Just do not read threads that has spoiler place in the root
message...
> > I could add [spoily] at the subject if you insist. Do you insist?
>
> It wouldn't hurt, but in practice, many readers may jump from thread
> thread without checking the Subject line first, including unspoiled
> players. We don't play favourites, so we add spoiler space for their
sake.

Sorry, but there should be a reasonable balance between 'everyone is
stupid' and 'everyone is smart' or we could end attaching to every
message a big chunk of 'spoiler place', warnings and so on. And what
you describe is not that 'middle point'. I will not uglify every
message just because someone browse newsgroup without reading subject
lines or whatever else he supposed to do. This remainds me a case when
one idiot decided to dry his cat in microwave oven... (unfortunately
his community was full of such idiots, so he managed to sue
manufacturer)

> As for the root message, news servers vary in the length of time they

> hang onto old messages, and sometimes the earlier posts in the thread

> are simply unavailable. That's one reason why we leave in spoiler
space
> and attributions.

Maybe... but this thread is not long-lived enough for this to come into
effect.

Bye.
Sincerely yours, Mike.

Crusader Mike wrote:
>>>Just do not read threads that has spoiler place in the root
>>>message...
>>
>>It wouldn't hurt, but in practice, many readers may jump from thread
>>to thread without checking the Subject line first, including unspoiled
>>players. We don't play favourites, so we add spoiler space for their
>>sake.
>
> Sorry, but there should be a reasonable balance between 'everyone is
> stupid' and 'everyone is smart' or we could end attaching to every
> message a big chunk of 'spoiler place', warnings and so on.

To every spoily message, that is.
And indeed I would urge you to follow that policy:

http://www.andywlms.com/adom/rgrafaq.html#3.1
http://www.andywlms.com/adom/rgrafaq.html#3.5

Malte

Malte Helmert wrote:

>>> It wouldn't hurt, but in practice, many readers may jump from thread
>>> to thread without checking the Subject line first, including unspoiled
>>> players. We don't play favourites, so we add spoiler space for their
>>> sake.
>>

>> Sorry, but there should be a reasonable balance between 'everyone is
>> stupid' and 'everyone is smart' or we could end attaching to every
>> message a big chunk of 'spoiler place', warnings and so on.
>

> To every spoily message, that is.
> And indeed I would urge you to follow that policy:
>
> http://www.andywlms.com/adom/rgrafaq.html#3.1
> http://www.andywlms.com/adom/rgrafaq.html#3.5

And I'd like to point out to you, Crusader Mike, that, while it's fine
to question authority or even rebel under certain circumstances, posting
to r.g.r.a. is not one one of those circumstances. Nobody is forcing you
or anyone else to post here. If you wish to be taken seriously, you
ought to follow our wishes. We can't stop you from posting your way; my
point is that, if you continue to post your way, you might as well not
post at all because everyone will ignore you.