EGG's stroke

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

In case you hadn't heard:
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
151 answers Last reply
More about stroke
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Ubiquitous and said

    > In case you hadn't heard:
    > http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802

    I have and frankly I don't care.

    --
    Rob Singers
    "All your Ron are belong to us"

    Ubiquitous wrote:
    > In case you hadn't heard:
    > http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802

    Thanks for sharing this! I had no idea.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Out from under a rock popped Ubiquitous and said
    >
    > > In case you hadn't heard:
    > > http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802
    >
    > I have and frankly I don't care.

    I pity all those whom you would call friend or family. It's one thing
    to say that to you his welfare means no more or less than any other
    particular human being; or that his health aside you never have cared for
    his writing style; or that you met him once and he pissed in your Cheerios
    and therefore you don't like him; but to post THIS is _going out of your
    way_ to voice a callous disregard for him. At the very least, as one of the
    three men responsible for the very existence of the hobby that you _would_
    ostensibly care about you owe him better than that.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    In rec.games.frp.dnd Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote:
    : Ubiquitous wrote:

    :> In case you hadn't heard:
    :> http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802

    : I have and frankly I don't care.

    Brrr! That's cold, man.

    --
    ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    In rec.games.frp.dnd Duane VanderPol <duanevp@earthlink.net> wrote:

    : I pity all those whom you would call friend or family. It's one thing
    : to say that to you his welfare means no more or less than any other
    : particular human being; or that his health aside you never have cared for
    : his writing style; or that you met him once and he pissed in your Cheerios
    : and therefore you don't like him; but to post THIS is _going out of your
    : way_ to voice a callous disregard for him. At the very least, as one of the
    : three men responsible for the very existence of the hobby that you _would_
    : ostensibly care about you owe him better than that.

    Gygax is like the Bill Shatner of D&D; take that analogy as you will.

    --
    This is forged posting. It is in no way coming from the rightful owner
    of the account it (appeared to have) originated from. It is not

    Ubiquitous wrote:
    > In rec.games.frp.dnd Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote:
    > : Ubiquitous wrote:
    >
    > :> In case you hadn't heard:
    > :> http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802
    >
    > : I have and frankly I don't care.
    >
    > Brrr! That's cold, man.

    No, that's not cold it's blasphemy ..... BURN THE HERETIC!

    We'll ignore the concept of "Any man's death diminishes me", because
    that's obviously beyond Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com>
    mental abilities. But think for a moment: didn't Gygax do for
    roleplaying games (and their current computer-based incarnations) what
    Gates did for the computer? Sure, someone else would possibly have
    eventually done what they did if Gary & Bill had not already, but those
    two names stand out.

    I am curious that EGG is comfortable with "The Spirit of Jehovah God",
    though. Weren't the Witnesses out for his blood during D&D's heyday,
    claiming that Dungeons & Dragons was demon/devil worshipping?

    --
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    By the Beans of Java my thoughts acquire speed, my teeth acquire stain,

    MagsTheAxe <magsmarie@att.net> wrote in message
    > Ubiquitous wrote:
    > > In case you hadn't heard:
    > > http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802
    >

    > Thanks for sharing this! I had no idea.
    --------
    I had no idea the man was so religious... sort of ironic, really.

    --
    You are Not entering Chapeltown.
    We walk on two legs, the one abstract

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:17:33 +0100, Certic <PJS@winDEATHTOSPAMMERSwaed.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    > MagsTheAxe <magsmarie@att.net> wrote in message
    >> Ubiquitous wrote:
    >> > In case you hadn't heard:
    >> > http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802
    >>

    >> Thanks for sharing this! I had no idea.
    > --------
    > I had no idea the man was so religious... sort of ironic, really.

    It could be a recent thing ("I *am* mortal, better clean up") -- it's
    not that uncommon a reaction to a big scare. It could have been there
    all along, but kept private. If it brings him comfort right now, that's
    good enough for me.

    Which is, IMO, as it should be. A person's religious beliefs (or lack
    thereof) are entirely nobody else's business. As long as you are
    running around setting people on fire or otherwise threatening their
    livelihood, I don't *care* what gods you follow or how.

    I'm willing -- sometimes, and with particular people -- to discuss *my*
    beliefs, but there are few I care to do that with. That group consists
    of the same people I'd be willing to hear about their beliefs. It's a
    small, *small* group.

    Keith
    --
    Keith Davies "Your ability to bang your head against
    keith.davies@kjdavies.org reality in the hope that reality will

    >>I had no idea the man was so religious... sort of ironic, really.
    >
    >It could be a recent thing ("I *am* mortal, better clean up") -- it's
    >not that uncommon a reaction to a big scare. It could have been there
    >all along, but kept private. If it brings him comfort right now, that's
    >good enough for me.

    I don't think he was commenting on his religiousness, but rather that
    D&D has always been looked at by fundamental Xianity as a "bad thing".
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    <slidge@slidge.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > >>I had no idea the man was so religious... sort of ironic, really.
    > >
    > >It could be a recent thing ("I *am* mortal, better clean up") -- it's
    > >not that uncommon a reaction to a big scare. It could have been there
    > >all along, but kept private. If it brings him comfort right now, that's
    > >good enough for me.
    >
    > I don't think he was commenting on his religiousness, but rather that
    > D&D has always been looked at by fundamental Xianity as a "bad thing".

    It is a good thing that not all Christians are fundys. In fact they are the
    minority - unfortunately the vocal minority.

    It is surprising none the less - good on God.

    peace,
    Frank
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Duane VanderPol wrote:

    > "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Out from under a rock popped Ubiquitous and said
    >>

    >>>In case you hadn't heard:
    >>>http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802
    >>
    >>I have and frankly I don't care.
    >
    > I pity all those whom you would call friend or family. It's one thing
    > to say that to you his welfare means no more or less than any other
    > particular human being; or that his health aside you never have cared for
    > his writing style; or that you met him once and he pissed in your Cheerios
    > and therefore you don't like him; but to post THIS is _going out of your
    > way_ to voice a callous disregard for him.

    Unlikely much out of his way at all.
    Hit reply. Seven simple words. Hit send.
    Little thought or effort involved there.

    > At the very least, as one of the
    > three men responsible for the very existence of the hobby that you _would_
    > ostensibly care about you owe him better than that.

    His efforts to stagnate the hobby could be seen as overriding his
    early involvement with getting it going. There are also those who
    feel he took far more of the credit than he earned. In many ways
    he's made himself an unlikeable and detestable person.

    True, we owe better than Rob gave, out of simple humanity. But I'm
    not sure it's to Gygax we owe it. Gygax, by his own admission, is
    the cause of some of the pain he now suffers from. But to my mind,
    Rob didn't insult EGG much at all here. He insulted the otherwise
    well meaning people who care about the guy. Rob did something
    roughly along the lines of laughing at a funeral. Rather bad form that.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:53:27 GMT, slidge@slidge.com.invalid <slidge@slidge.com.invalid> wrote:
    >>>I had no idea the man was so religious... sort of ironic, really.
    >>
    >>It could be a recent thing ("I *am* mortal, better clean up") -- it's
    >>not that uncommon a reaction to a big scare. It could have been there
    >>all along, but kept private. If it brings him comfort right now, that's
    >>good enough for me.
    >
    > I don't think he was commenting on his religiousness, but rather that
    > D&D has always been looked at by fundamental Xianity as a "bad thing".

    Yeah, that is ironic. I was commenting on the 'gee, we never knew'
    aspect... and that it is *correct* that we never knew, IMO.

    Keith
    --
    Keith Davies "Your ability to bang your head against
    keith.davies@kjdavies.org reality in the hope that reality will
    crack first is impressive, but futile"
    -- Geoffrey Brent, rec.games.frp.dnd
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Frank Emanuel" <femanuel@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    > <slidge@slidge.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > >It could be a recent thing ("I *am* mortal, better clean up") -- it's
    > > >not that uncommon a reaction to a big scare. It could have been there
    > > >all along, but kept private. If it brings him comfort right now,
    that's
    > > >good enough for me.
    > >
    > > I don't think he was commenting on his religiousness, but rather that
    > > D&D has always been looked at by fundamental Xianity as a "bad thing".
    > >

    > It is a good thing that not all Christians are fundys. In fact they are
    the
    > minority - unfortunately the vocal minority.

    They're the people who hold their dogmas (dogmata?) as superior to natural
    law, morality, and ethics. In that respect, they really do care more about
    Christianity than moderates do.

    > It is surprising none the less - good on God.

    No, good on people who care about natural law, morality, and ethics more
    than they care about whatever they and their friends decide "God" means.

    --
    zimriel sbc dot
    at global net

    Certic wrote:

    > MagsTheAxe <magsmarie@att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ubiquitous wrote:
    >>
    >>>In case you hadn't heard:
    >>>http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802
    >>

    >>Thanks for sharing this! I had no idea.
    >
    > --------
    > I had no idea the man was so religious... sort of ironic, really.

    I'm forced to wonder when he became that way.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Zimri wrote:

    > "Frank Emanuel" <femanuel@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >><slidge@slidge.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>It is a good thing that not all Christians are fundys. In fact they are
    > the
    >>minority - unfortunately the vocal minority.
    >

    > They're the people who hold their dogmas (dogmata?) as superior to natural
    > law, morality, and ethics.

    Hm, I would think they hold their dogma AS natural law, morality,
    and ethics. Seperating these items is a major part of what they
    will claim is wrong with many of the rest of us.

    > In that respect, they really do care more about
    > Christianity than moderates do.

    Radicals always care more than moderates.

    >>It is surprising none the less - good on God.
    >
    > No, good on people who care about natural law, morality, and ethics more
    > than they care about whatever they and their friends decide "God" means.

    Irrespective of my friends, I believe "God" means natural law,
    ethics, and morality.

    Seriously here, how can have _any_ concept of what "God" is that
    doesn't inform, or isn't informed by, the other three?
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Steve Ashton and said

    > We'll ignore the concept of "Any man's death diminishes me", because
    > that's obviously beyond Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com>
    > mental abilities.

    There are two problems what you're saying. Firstly it's in no way
    obvious and EGG had a stroke he's not dead. There is also the issue of
    how valid your trite little aphorism is but we can probably ignore that.
    If you're going to question other people's intelligence I'd suggest you
    do it in manner that doesn't make you look like a moron.

    > But think for a moment: didn't Gygax do for
    > roleplaying games (and their current computer-based incarnations) what
    > Gates did for the computer? Sure, someone else would possibly have
    > eventually done what they did if Gary & Bill had not already, but those
    > two names stand out.

    So what? Let's leave Bill out of the discussion because basically you're
    introducing a strawman. Is adding magic to a war game in the league of
    Mother Thersa for example? How about Nelson Mandala?

    If EGG rates as significant in your world view then you should get out of
    the house and get a big dose of the real world. Go and volenteer in a
    Hospital, an old folks home, or a soup kitchen.

    --
    Rob Singers
    "All your Ron are belong to us"
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Victor Pinamont and said

    >> So what? Let's leave Bill out of the discussion because basically
    >> you're introducing a strawman.
    >
    > You're confusing an apt analogy with a strawman. A strawman is first
    > introduced as a deliberate distortion and is then conveniently
    > attacked -- since the distorted argument makes for a easy target.
    >
    > Got it, idiot?

    Bill Gates is not an apt analogy for Gygax, to compare them is a delibertae
    distortion, so in point of fact you're reinforcing my point.

    --
    Rob Singers
    "All your Ron are belong to us"
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Mere moments before death, Robert Singers hastily scrawled:
    >Out from under a rock popped Victor Pinamont and said
    >
    >>> So what? Let's leave Bill out of the discussion because basically
    >>> you're introducing a strawman.
    >>
    >> You're confusing an apt analogy with a strawman. A strawman is first
    >> introduced as a deliberate distortion and is then conveniently
    >> attacked -- since the distorted argument makes for a easy target.
    >>
    >> Got it, idiot?
    >
    >Bill Gates is not an apt analogy for Gygax, to compare them is a delibertae
    >distortion, so in point of fact you're reinforcing my point.

    <standing ovation>

    psst, rob. the standing o is for "victor".

    Ed Chauvin IV

    modifier G @ 11.

    --Terry Austin
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Victor Pinamont wrote...

    (who cares)

    Ah, I knew I'd overlooked somebody!

    I know you haven't been around much lately and all, but consider this a
    lifetime achievement award.

    *plonk*
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Steve Ashton" <sjamesashton@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Ubiquitous wrote:

    > I am curious that EGG is comfortable with "The Spirit of Jehovah God",
    > though. Weren't the Witnesses out for his blood during D&D's heyday,
    > claiming that Dungeons & Dragons was demon/devil worshipping?

    They still are and do believe that way. My mother is a devout witness, and
    while she knows and accepts the fact that I greatly enjoy everything D&D, as
    well as knowing it's just a game (she's played the thing!), I know she
    doesn't approve, but that's the way it goes. The way I see it is, as a
    former non-active JW myself (despite still believing many of the tenets of
    the faith in theory if not in practice), if in the end, the overriding
    reason why Jehovah removes me from his sight is because of the content of a
    game I like to play, I can accept that.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Zimri" <zimriel@SBCspammlesforglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > It is surprising none the less - good on God.
    >
    > No, good on people who care about natural law, morality, and ethics more
    > than they care about whatever they and their friends decide "God" means.

    No, good on God. You are entitled to your reaction but I meant what I said.

    Frank
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Out from under a rock popped Ubiquitous and said
    >
    > > In case you hadn't heard:
    > > http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802
    >
    > I have and frankly I don't care.

    What a wonderful human being you are.

    Rob
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Rob Bruce and said

    > What a wonderful human being you are.

    You fancy me don't you.

    --
    Rob Singers
    "All your Ron are belong to us"
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Robert Singers wrote:

    > Out from under a rock popped Rob Bruce and said
    >
    > > What a wonderful human being you are.
    >
    > You fancy me don't you.

    When did Terry Austin spawn, and why weren't we warned?

    - Ron ^*^
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    > Out from under a rock popped Victor Pinamont and said
    >
    > >> So what? Let's leave Bill out of the discussion because basically
    > >> you're introducing a strawman.
    > >
    > > You're confusing an apt analogy with a strawman. A strawman is first
    > > introduced as a deliberate distortion and is then conveniently
    > > attacked -- since the distorted argument makes for a easy target.
    > >
    > > Got it, idiot?
    >
    > Bill Gates is not an apt analogy for Gygax, to compare them is a
    delibertae
    > distortion, so in point of fact you're reinforcing my point.

    Bzzt... wrongo, Bozo. You prove that monkey-level brain function is
    pre-requisite enough for posting to Usenet.

    Bill gates is certainly an apt analogy. Digested and understood by a
    functioning mind, the comparison goes something like this:

    EGG, like Bill Gates, was the creator of a device that's positively affected
    the lives of many people. Much as an ailing Gates would deserve the
    sympathies of computer lovers everywhere, so too should EGG be
    well-wished -- if for nothing else -- because he was the inventor of a game
    many of us hold so dear.

    The *degree* of each man's impact is not the relevant aspect of the analogy.

    Got it, Numbnuts?
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    >>I don't think he was commenting on his religiousness, but rather that
    >>D&D has always been looked at by fundamental Xianity as a "bad thing".
    >
    >Yeah, that is ironic. I was commenting on the 'gee, we never knew'
    >aspect... and that it is *correct* that we never knew, IMO.

    Ah. Yes, I agree with that as well.
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net> wrote:
    > Rob did something roughly along the lines of laughing at a funeral.
    > Rather bad form that.

    Looks more like Rob's laughing at the strangers who show up at the wake
    hoping there'll be free food and beer.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    Bradd W. Szonye wrote:

    > Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Rob did something roughly along the lines of laughing at a funeral.
    >>Rather bad form that.
    >

    > Looks more like Rob's laughing at the strangers who show up at the wake
    > hoping there'll be free food and beer.

    Point.
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    In rec.games.frp.dnd Certic <PJS@windeathtospammerswaed.demon.co.uk> wrote:
    : MagsTheAxe <magsmarie@att.net> wrote:

    :> Thanks for sharing this! I had no idea.
    : --------
    : I had no idea the man was so religious... sort of ironic, really.

    How so?

    --
    This is forged posting. It is in no way coming from the rightful owner
    of the account it (appeared to have) originated from. It is not
    intended for the actual user of the account to which it was sent. It
    is intended for another person who claims to have stolen the account.
    It is intended in no way for the user of this account.
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    A thousand monkeys banging on keyboards posted the following under the
    name "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com>:

    >Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net> wrote:
    >> Rob did something roughly along the lines of laughing at a funeral.
    >> Rather bad form that.
    >
    >Looks more like Rob's laughing at the strangers who show up at the wake
    >hoping there'll be free food and beer.

    *perks up*

    --

    Magister Mundi sum!

    Aughra: Where is he?
    Jen: He's dead.
    Aughra: Could be anywhere, then.
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:26:02 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
    <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

    >Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net> wrote:
    >> Rob did something roughly along the lines of laughing at a funeral.
    >> Rather bad form that.
    >
    >Looks more like Rob's laughing at the strangers who show up at the wake
    >hoping there'll be free food and beer.

    This operates on the theory the equivelent strangers in this thread
    expected anything out of it, which I fail to see. As such the analogy
    fails rather hideously unless you're implying something I don't get,
    Bradd.
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:38:54 -0400, Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net>
    wrote:

    >Irrespective of my friends, I believe "God" means natural law,
    >ethics, and morality.
    >
    >Seriously here, how can have _any_ concept of what "God" is that
    >doesn't inform, or isn't informed by, the other three?

    To a deist, God doesn't have to have anything to do with at least two
    of those. He just winds up the Universe, what we do in it is
    _entirely_ up to us.
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in

    > Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net> wrote:
    >> Rob did something roughly along the lines of laughing at a funeral.
    >> Rather bad form that.
    >
    > Looks more like Rob's laughing at the strangers who show up at the wake
    > hoping there'll be free food and beer.

    Damnit! Now I have a craving for beer. I don't even usually like beer.
    Damn your subliminal messages!

    --
    Justisaur
    http://justisaur.tripod.com/well.htm for my encounter generator, xp

    Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:26:02 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
    ><bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
    >>Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net> wrote:
    >>> Rob did something roughly along the lines of laughing at a funeral.
    >>> Rather bad form that.
    >>
    >>Looks more like Rob's laughing at the strangers who show up at the wake
    >>hoping there'll be free food and beer.
    >
    > This operates on the theory the equivelent strangers in this thread
    > expected anything out of it, which I fail to see. As such the analogy
    > fails rather hideously unless you're implying something I don't get,
    > Bradd.

    They get social recognition out of it. Some folks see that kind of
    "social handshake" as even more important than free food & beer; others
    find that sort of thing unnecessary at best and pathetic at worst. I'm
    guessing that Rob is in the latter category.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    Wayne Shaw wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:38:54 -0400, Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Irrespective of my friends, I believe "God" means natural law,
    >>ethics, and morality.
    >>
    >>Seriously here, how can have _any_ concept of what "God" is that
    >>doesn't inform, or isn't informed by, the other three?
    >

    > To a deist, God doesn't have to have anything to do with at least two
    > of those. He just winds up the Universe, what we do in it is
    > _entirely_ up to us.

    Have you read Paine and Jefferson?
    Any valid concept of morality and ethics, for a Deist, must be in
    sync with natural law. The lack of an active God does not absolve
    a Deist from morality or ethics or provide a loophole for "Do what
    thou wilt".
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Justisaur" <justisaur@removespam.net> wrote in message
    > "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net> wrote:
    > >> Rob did something roughly along the lines of laughing at a funeral.
    > >> Rather bad form that.
    > >
    > > Looks more like Rob's laughing at the strangers who show up at the wake
    > > hoping there'll be free food and beer.
    >
    > Damnit! Now I have a craving for beer. I don't even usually like beer.
    > Damn your subliminal messages!

    <homer>Mmmmm... beer.</homer>

    --
    zimriel sbc dot
    at global net
    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/zimriel/blog/zimblog.html
    because everyone else is doing it
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:45:43 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
    <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

    >Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:26:02 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
    >><bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Looks more like Rob's laughing at the strangers who show up at the wake
    >>>hoping there'll be free food and beer.
    >>
    >> This operates on the theory the equivelent strangers in this thread
    >> expected anything out of it, which I fail to see. As such the analogy
    >> fails rather hideously unless you're implying something I don't get,
    >> Bradd.
    >
    >They get social recognition out of it. Some folks see that kind of

    There's no indication that's got anything to do with the responses,
    and it's reaching to assume it does; in fact, it comes across as just
    hunting for a utilitarian reason.

    >"social handshake" as even more important than free food & beer; others
    >find that sort of thing unnecessary at best and pathetic at worst. I'm
    >guessing that Rob is in the latter category.

    And if so, is clearly a mind reader, since it requires projecting
    motives on the other respondants.
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    name Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com>:

    >Out from under a rock popped Ubiquitous and said
    >
    >> In case you hadn't heard:
    >> http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802
    >
    >I have and frankly I don't care.

    ....and wackiness ensues.

    --

    Magister Mundi sum!

    Aughra: Where is he?
    Jen: He's dead.
    Aughra: Could be anywhere, then.
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Zimri wrote:

    > "Justisaur" <justisaur@removespam.net> wrote in message
    > > "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in

    > > > Looks more like Rob's laughing at the strangers who show up at the wake
    > > > hoping there'll be free food and beer.
    > >
    > > Damnit! Now I have a craving for beer. I don't even usually like beer.
    > > Damn your subliminal messages!
    >
    > <homer>Mmmmm... beer.</homer>

    Mmmmm... Embalmed corpse...

    - Ron ^*^
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Out from under a rock popped Ubiquitous and said
    >
    > > In case you hadn't heard:
    > > http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=219802
    >
    > I have and frankly I don't care.

    Good post-whoring technique, Rob ;-)

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in message
    > Wayne Shaw <shaw@caprica.com> wrote:

    > > This operates on the theory the equivelent strangers in this thread
    > > expected anything out of it, which I fail to see. As such the analogy
    > > fails rather hideously unless you're implying something I don't get,
    > > Bradd.
    >
    > They get social recognition out of it. Some folks see that kind of
    > "social handshake" as even more important than free food & beer;

    Blasphemy!

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:08:52 -0700, Steve Ashton
    <sjamesashton@netscape.net> carved upon a tablet of ether:

    > No, that's not cold it's blasphemy ..... BURN THE HERETIC!
    >
    > We'll ignore the concept of "Any man's death diminishes me", because
    > that's obviously beyond Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com>
    > mental abilities. But think for a moment: didn't Gygax do for
    > roleplaying games (and their current computer-based incarnations) what
    > Gates did for the computer? Sure, someone else would possibly have
    > eventually done what they did if Gary & Bill had not already, but those
    > two names stand out.

    If EGG did for rpgs what Gates did for computers I'd say we're better
    off without him. However he didn't, and I wouldn't wish a stroke on
    anyone, so I hope he gets better. That said, I don't care any more or
    less about him than I do for any random stranger.

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
    should be free."

    "Keith Davies" <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in message
    > As long as you are running around setting people on fire or
    > otherwise threatening their livelihood, I don't *care* what gods
    > you follow or how.

    Are you the mayor of Los Angeles?

    --
    ^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishment the scroll,
    I am the Master of my fate:
    I am the Captain of my soul.

  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:00:48 -0400, Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net>
    wrote:

    >Wayne Shaw wrote:
    >> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:38:54 -0400, Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Irrespective of my friends, I believe "God" means natural law,
    >>>ethics, and morality.
    >>>
    >>>Seriously here, how can have _any_ concept of what "God" is that
    >>>doesn't inform, or isn't informed by, the other three?
    >>

    >> To a deist, God doesn't have to have anything to do with at least two
    >> of those. He just winds up the Universe, what we do in it is
    >> _entirely_ up to us.
    >
    >Have you read Paine and Jefferson?
    >Any valid concept of morality and ethics, for a Deist, must be in

    Note I did not capitalize deist. The Jeffersonian model is not the
    only one.

    >sync with natural law. The lack of an active God does not absolve
    >a Deist from morality or ethics or provide a loophole for "Do what
    >thou wilt".

    No, but it does leave room for a humanist view.
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Wayne Shaw wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:00:48 -0400, Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Wayne Shaw wrote:

    >>>To a deist, God doesn't have to have anything to do with at least two
    >>>of those. He just winds up the Universe, what we do in it is
    >>>_entirely_ up to us.
    >>
    >>Have you read Paine and Jefferson?
    >>Any valid concept of morality and ethics, for a Deist, must be in
    >
    > Note I did not capitalize deist. The Jeffersonian model is not the
    > only one.

    Granted.

    >>sync with natural law. The lack of an active God does not absolve
    >>a Deist from morality or ethics or provide a loophole for "Do what
    >>thou wilt".
    >
    > No, but it does leave room for a humanist view.

    Which of course informs the morality and ethics that will be held
    as appropriate.
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:49:57 -0400, Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net>
    wrote:

    >Wayne Shaw wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:00:48 -0400, Sorcier <sNoErMcOier@cavtel.net>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Have you read Paine and Jefferson?
    >>>Any valid concept of morality and ethics, for a Deist, must be in
    >>
    >> Note I did not capitalize deist. The Jeffersonian model is not the
    >> only one.
    >
    >Granted.
    >
    >>>sync with natural law. The lack of an active God does not absolve
    >>>a Deist from morality or ethics or provide a loophole for "Do what
    >>>thou wilt".
    >>
    >> No, but it does leave room for a humanist view.
    >
    >Which of course informs the morality and ethics that will be held
    >as appropriate.

    But does not have to involve God meaningfully. A deist can view human
    ethics as entirely different from what God might theoretically like or
    dislike (or more to the point, consider the latter largely irrelevant
    to human ethics).
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    On 15 Apr 2004 03:12:22 GMT, Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Out from under a rock popped Rob Bruce and said
    >
    >> What a wonderful human being you are.
    >
    >You fancy me don't you.

    Dear Robert,

    Be funny.

    ThaADVANCEnks!

    --
    Hong Ooi | "Well, that about WANGER up the
    hong@zipworld.com.au | WANGER of your WANGER, Hong.

    Hong Ooi wrote:

    > ThaADVANCEnks!

    shouldn't it be

    AdvaTHANKSnce!

    --
    Gene Poole

    Signature sold separately
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    Wayne Shaw wrote:

    > But does not have to involve God meaningfully. A deist can view human
    > ethics as entirely different from what God might theoretically like or
    > dislike (or more to the point, consider the latter largely irrelevant
    > to human ethics).

    Disagree.
    Ethics that are at odds with natural law do not follow logically in
    even a small 'd' deism. Further, ascribing the distance of an
    active "god" as allowing a seperation of human choice and morality
    from any supreme will is quite definitely "your conception of
    God informing and being informed by your morals and ethics."
    The same applies to aetheism.
    What you believe about God will restrict or expand what you
    believe about morality and ethics.
    What you believe about ethics and morality will restrict what you
    can accept as a valid conception of "God".

Cases Games Video Games