Help booting to HP dv6 CD Rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Hi.

I have a brand new 4 hours old HP dv6 3030TX laptop with Win 7 on it. I want to also have partition with XP.

I have finally got it to boot to the xp pro setup disk however I am getting these messages at the point when the setup disk gets to.. Loading Kernal, Debugger.DLL

file acpiec.sys caused unexpeected error 32768 on line 5964 in d:xp/sprtm\base\boot\setup\setup.c

then on next try..

error vgaoem.fon could not be loaded.

Why is this, How can I get it to load?

oz

Solution
G
It sounds like a hardware problem and I would return the computer because it's so new.
G

It looks as if the drive is having problems reading the cd as the named files seem to be the stuff it loads up before installing XP. Check the disc surface and check the drive with other discs.

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Thanks fihart.

I just checked an audio CD and it played okay and looked at a data CD and it read them okay as well.

I tried two legal new XP pro setup disks and they both give similar errors.

It is driving me crazy!! :)

oz

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I have just noticed the last time I went to shut it down, I got the mesage it is downloading 38 Win 7 updates. Maybe one of thiose will fix it..

In the meantime, any ideas to check in bios etc?

Thanks

oz

G

Is it possible that XP is trying to load onto the extra drive partition created by Win7 for its own files and not finding enough space ? You may need to create a new partition for XP.

Otherwise, sounds like a problem for your HP dealer -- I can't think of an obvious solution short of a replacement drive or computer. Take the XP CD with you to demonstrate the issue.

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Oh dear!!

At first I followed the instructions to shrink the Win 7 partition 597 GB to 260GB and now have a new partition of over 250GB which I was to put XP in.

When I was doing this it asked me if I wanted to give the partiion a drive letter so I did (G:)

I have just noticed now the drive makes a few shudder type noises with the black screen and blinking cursor at left top.

How can I get my XP setup onto a usb stick as maybe this will do it for the time being?

Thanks again,

oz

Status
Not open for further replies.