Gozer

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001

spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily
spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily
spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily
spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily

I posted this message on the ADOM HOF forum but no-one could help me.
Maybe somewhere here can assist . . .

I have been playing around with my arch-mage character to try identify
the best way to scum for huge amounts of XP. Thus far wishing for AKWs
in the SMC generates the best results. Unlike greater molochs, AKWs
can't see invisible - making them easy to pick off with magic missile.
With speed minimised at 10, I can usually pick up 8 - 15 million XP per
kill for the first 20 kills or so (after that XP starts dropping
significantly).

Anyone have any thoughts on how those first 20 or so kills can be
scummed for maximum XP? High level AKWs are worth a lot more - but the
experience level of the AKWs appears to be randomly generated (varying
wildly from as low as 3 to as high as 80 or 90). Reading scrolls of
danger (regardless of b/u/c status) did not appear to affect the
likelihood of receiving an extremely experienced AKW.

I also tried boosting the speed of the AKWs by throwing blessed potions
of speed having first paralysed the AKW (throwing potions "removes"
invisibility - and an extremely experienced, speed boosted AKW can
destroy a 10000 HP character in one turn!!!) However, killing a speed
boosted AKW in the turn that its paralysation wore off, and with my own
speed at 10, earned me hardly any XP at all - which makes no sense to
me whatsoever!

Anyone got any thoughts re maximising XP scumming through speed
manipulation or monster experience boosting?

spoily
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 03:21:17 -0800, gozer wrote:

> Anyone have any thoughts on how those first 20 or so kills can be scummed
> for maximum XP? High level AKWs are worth a lot more - but the experience
> level of the AKWs appears to be randomly generated (varying wildly from as
> low as 3 to as high as 80 or 90). Reading scrolls of danger (regardless of
> b/u/c status) did not appear to affect the likelihood of receiving an
> extremely experienced AKW.

Use the SMC. That should make sure they're all highly experienced.

Gozer

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2001

Frobnoid: I am wishing for them in the SMC.

Andy: I considered an integer overflow - but as you point out, the 16
million limitation is a strange one. Is it possible TB implemented an
XP cap? I can't think of any other strategy for scumming huge XP than
speed-boosted AKWs in the SMC.

gozer wrote:

> spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily

> spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily

> spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily

> spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily spoily

> killing a speed
> boosted AKW in the turn that its paralysation wore off, and with my own
> speed at 10, earned me hardly any XP at all - which makes no sense to
> me whatsoever!

I wonder if you are running into some sort of integer overflow.
Perhaps if the XP is greater than 16 million, it wraps? A 2^24
limitation doesn't make much sense.
--
Andy Williams
ADOM Guidebook - http://www.andywlms.com/adom/

gozer wrote:

?

?

> Andy: I considered an integer overflow - but as you point out, the 16
> million limitation is a strange one. Is it possible TB implemented an
> XP cap? I can't think of any other strategy for scumming huge XP than
> speed-boosted AKWs in the SMC.

TB could have implemented a cap at 2^24. What about wishing for
Emperor Lichs? According to the formula for generating greater undead
vaults, they should be the most dangerous undead in the game. Make
backups for testing purposes. I don't like to think about an XP level
100 speed boosted Emperor Lich.
--

gozer wrote:
> Frobnoid: I am wishing for them in the SMC.
>
> Andy: I considered an integer overflow - but as you point out, the 16
> million limitation is a strange one. Is it possible TB implemented an
> XP cap? I can't think of any other strategy for scumming huge XP than
> speed-boosted AKWs in the SMC.

Overflows can happen at various points if the variables involved are
used in multiplication context.

For example, assume somebody wants to increase a value by 1% and
implements this as

new_value = old_value * 101 / 100;

then the effective useful upper limit for old_value is 2^31 / 101.
Maybe something along those lines is going on here.

Malte

PS: Please everybody tell me if you see anything fishy with this
posting. New OS and new newsclient.

Malte Helmert wrote:

> PS: Please everybody tell me if you see anything fishy with this
> posting. New OS and new newsclient.

Looks perfect to me, including headers.
--
Andy Williams