The Lucky Orc

After reading a post here earlier about trying new race/class
combinations to make things interesting, I rolled up an orcish ranger.
Tnings definitely got interesting (and spoily)...

..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

After easily dispatching Kranach, I used the reward to buy a spear of
hunting in the outlaw town shop. I then went to the puppy cave and
found a mixed tension room on PC:3. The door blew up in my face and
destroyed my shiny new spear. A bit discouraged, I equipped a backup
spear and cleared the room. In the pile of spoils was a pair of soft
boots, aka [+1, +0] 7LB. I ventured further down. PC:6 also had a
tension room, this time undead. I thought my luck couldn't get much
better when I saw a pair of [+4, +0] 7LB in the lot of treasure.

Through the uninteresting dungeon I went, where no vaults were
generated. Nothing in the HMV shop, either. Thinking good luck had
moved on, I went to the CoC. I found a ring shop, but alas, I was only
on D:6. Oh well. D:9 had a gnoll/hyena vault. My luck was apparently
still with me, as I found another pair of 7LB in the pile of stuff, as
well as a ring of ice.

Thrundarr wanted me to kill a berserker lord to prove my worth.
Figuring it might take a while to find one of these, I went below
Dwarftown. On the first level below, in the room next to the stair
room, was a mixed tension room containing three berserker lords. I went
back up, claimed my potion of literacy (being a good orc, my character
apparently learned nothing in his childhood and started with a learning
of 1) and ID'd my stuff. Amongst it all was a spear of penetration. I
equipped that, blessed my 7LB, donned a amulet of protection from
constructs, and went to Darkforge.

At only exp. level 13, I thought the golems may prove a problem, but
they didn't. I gained two levels, and found some good stuff in the
armories: a set of black DSM, some (-1, -2) [+0, +10] adamantium scale
mail, and an eternium spear. At that point, I saved the game and posted
this, because I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there any way to decrease food consumption rate? I only found one
ratling selling lizards in the arena, which netted only 31. I have a
feeling food may prove to be one of the biggest problems for this
character.

2) I think I know the answer to this, but... Is a spear of penetration
(+3, 1d8+2) generally better than an eternium spear (+2, 2d8+8)?
Polearms are at level 10, so I'm hitting pretty often.

Jason Allen wrote:
> After reading a post here earlier about trying new race/class
> combinations to make things interesting, I rolled up an orcish ranger.
> Tnings definitely got interesting (and spoily)...
>
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> [snip info]
> 1) Is there any way to decrease food consumption rate? I only found one
> ratling selling lizards in the arena, which netted only 31. I have a
> feeling food may prove to be one of the biggest problems for this
> character.

Not exactly (there are some race/class related ones, not relevant here
though), but you may be doing things to increase your current rate over
the base. Most notably, each increased Burdened/Strained/Strained! etc
level increases your food consumption. You haven't mentioned any of the
other primary causes as being likely (artifacts, invisibility).

> 2) I think I know the answer to this, but... Is a spear of penetration
> (+3, 1d8+2) generally better than an eternium spear (+2, 2d8+8)?
> Polearms are at level 10, so I'm hitting pretty often.

Depends on the enemy, of course :)

The eternium spear has a base damage 4 points higher on average, and
so will be more effective against anything with less than 4 PV. Which
isn't much that isn't easily killed with either spear anyway. Don't
forget that the eternium one won't get melted or corroded though, the
other might.

Stephen White wrote:

> Jason Allen wrote:

> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .

> > Is a spear of penetration
> > (+3, 1d8+2) generally better than an eternium spear (+2, 2d8+8)?
> > Polearms are at level 10, so I'm hitting pretty often.

> The eternium spear has a base damage 4 points higher on average, and
> so will be more effective against anything with less than 4 PV.

How do you figure? Neglecting bonuses, 1d8+2 = 3 to 10 = mean 7 to 8.
2d8+8 = 10 to 24 = mean 17. Looks like the eternium spear is 10 base
damage higher.

> Don't
> forget that the eternium one won't get melted or corroded though, the
> other might.

I would venture to say the other will melt or corrode, eventually.
Spears are made of iron, which will be corroded, melted, rusted
eventually. Rustproofing would help in the short run.
--
Andy Williams
ADOM Guidebook - http://www.andywlms.com/adom/

jasonryanallen@gmail.com wrote:

> After reading a post here earlier about trying new race/class
> combinations to make things interesting, I rolled up an orcish ranger.
> Tnings definitely got interesting (and spoily)...
>
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> 1) Is there any way to decrease food consumption rate? I only found one
> ratling selling lizards in the arena,

I've seen this happen a few times as well. Every time this happens,
I've found the other ratling trader in the HMV. I don't know if
that's by design, or if it's a bug in ADOM.

-- Jeff
-- aka The Eternal Newbie :)

When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir
cevinpl. -- Unknown

The Beerslayer wrote:
> jasonryanallen@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > After reading a post here earlier about trying new race/class
> > combinations to make things interesting, I rolled up an orcish
ranger.
> > Tnings definitely got interesting (and spoily)...
> >
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > 1) Is there any way to decrease food consumption rate? I only found
one
> > ratling selling lizards in the arena,
>
> I've seen this happen a few times as well. Every time this happens,
> I've found the other ratling trader in the HMV. I don't know if
> that's by design, or if it's a bug in ADOM.
>
> -- Jeff
> -- aka The Eternal Newbie :)

I have a current character with only one ratling, annoying indeed.
Although, I believe I have found a way around this, or, I am insanely
lucky. If this has already been tried/reported -- please excuse me.

Do not talk or buy anything until the following are complete:

1. Enter gladiator area.
2. Close the door behind you - they *will* wander away.
3. Kill of *all* monsters (even if neutral) as they may possibly attack
and kill our precious lizard trader(s).
4. Purchase all available lizards.
5. Enter Gladiator games and kill all or a majority of the 19
opponents. [1]
6. Visit the ratlings again.

They always seem to restock after a decent amount of victories.
Alignment of character seems not to make a difference. I have tried
this technique with dozens of characters and have not failed yet to see
a restock.

[1] Trying different amounts of victories works too. Kill 8. If not
restocked yet, kill a few more and go ask ratling again.

It isn't problem to buy much of cooked lizards the only thing you have to
do is press and hold '5' and wait for some minutes and then try again to
buy. You needn't to fight in the arena. Just give it a time. It will
always resuply.

kupiko wrote:
> > RecRanger wrote:

> > I have a current character with only one ratling, annoying indeed.
> > Although, I believe I have found a way around this, or, I am
insanely
> > lucky. If this has already been tried/reported -- please excuse
me.

> > Do not talk or buy anything until the following are complete:

> > 1. Enter gladiator area.
> > 2. Close the door behind you - they *will* wander away.
> > 3. Kill of *all* monsters (even if neutral) as they may possibly
attack
> > and kill our precious lizard trader(s).
> > 4. Purchase all available lizards.
> > 5. Enter Gladiator games and kill all or a majority of the 19
> > opponents. [1]
> > 6. Visit the ratlings again.

> > They always seem to restock after a decent amount of victories.
> > Alignment of character seems not to make a difference. I have
tried
> > this technique with dozens of characters and have not failed yet to
see
> > a restock.

> > [1] Trying different amounts of victories works too. Kill 8. If
not
> > restocked yet, kill a few more and go ask ratling again.

> It isn't problem to buy much of cooked lizards the only thing you
have to
> do is press and hold '5' and wait for some minutes and then try again
> buy. You needn't to fight in the arena. Just give it a time. It will
> always resuply.

Indeed. I am well aware of this. I was referring to the problem of
ratlings *not* restocking. I have had many characters die only because
of food problems. I was trying to find a way to make certain they _do_
restock.

And by the way, _holding_ 5 is suicide. Type 'w' then '5' -- you wait
until interrupted (which I guess can be a pain with the ratlings...).

TRENDING THREADS