AMD and WinMe

G

Any body run into problems with their Durons or Tbirds in Windows Millenium? I am very interested in a Tbird system, but I have seen some nightmares with them and the Asus A7V's in Millenium (blue screens, game freezes, etc.). Some people are saying to go for the KT7, it has a 3 phase CPU power supply in the board that apparently helps the CPU to run smoother. I want a Tbird (cheaper, good perf, and OC'ing, of course) but thanks to Microsoft my only OS choice is Me, so I may be forced to go P3. Does anybody know anything about any of this???

Thanks

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an A7V and a Duron @ 950 and Windows ME. I have never had a lock up or a blue screen since I bought it. (It even shocks me sometimes). Lock ups and blue screens are more a driver problem not the boards fault. Just make sure you have a good powersupply, but that goes for any motherboard.

G

I believe 98SE runs faster than ME. If you want stability you really need to go to 2K or linux. Otherwise, I find 98SE runs better on most computers than ME. Best thing you can do to improve stability/performance in 98/ME is cut down number of apps running in background. MSCONFIG is great tool for getting rid of the crap that tends to bring 98/ME to its knees. Basically problem comes down to neither handle multitasking very well and it becomes more stable the less tasks you have it running.

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."

G

Yeah, I've found it handy in 98 to clear up the startup regularly.

The reason I asked about Me is because I saw two Tbird systems, all the same hardware, only difference was one had 98SE and the other was Me. We had problems with both, ended up cleaning off the thermal tape on the heatsink and putting some grease on them. That fixed the problems on the 98 machine, but on the Me machine the user had problems with any game she tried to run, using the internet, etc. It kept locking up. The system was rebuilt, new parts, same problem. She finally made them change it to a P3 system, because noone could get the lockups to stop.

Maybe it was the video card, a generic TNT2-M64. We haven't seen problems with them in W98, maybe the combination with Me and AMD caused weird conflicts.

Anyone running A7V, Tbird, WinMe, and a Geforce (Asus or Creative, etc.) see any problems?

G

No extra problems with WinME and AMD Duron650@850 here.... I have a Chaintech 7AJA mobo and had Diamond ViperII, TNT2 Ultra and TNT2 M64 as videocards... all running well (ViperII not well enought though..... bad drivers). Go for the AMD system.... Every mainboard type/brand has it's own share of fans; active as well as passive fans .... ASUS A7V has many "active" fans, mostly because some have come a long way before their board became the fastest mainboard they'd ever seen.... Have fun with the new system!

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
in case you haven't made up your mind yet i also recommend a thunderbird system. i have a t-bird900@1000 on an epox ep-8kta+ mobo running winME. most people run into problems due to three factors...driver conflicts, they mess around and pick bad bios settings, or they don't do a proper install of the os. if you have any system building experience and some common sense then you have nothing to worry about. besides, odds are that if you do run into a problem someone else did also and can recommend an easy fix

G

This will probably draw flames from the Windows haters, but I have been astonished by the stability of WinMe in one of my 1ghz athlon systems. I blue screened and crashed along with everyone else in win 95 and win 98. When 98se came out, things improved, but under WinMe I am shocked at the stability, I daresay that it is every bit as stable as my win200 pro and slackware. I was expecting absolute #$#% from ME after reading reviews, but nothing could be further from the truth. My system does C++, Java, Web design, video and photo editing, plus tons of games, it's also hosts a small ftp server. It is very stable under all that. I've made as much fun of M$ as the next guy, but I have to call it like I see it and WinMe has been a superb product for me. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

G

Hehe, no, just got lucky. It works well about 50-70% of the time in my experience. However the loads I've done with it haven't had a lot done to them for most part. Though what does get done is usually pretty severe. I work tech training and systems I load get used by techs to see where problems can crop up and how to fix them so they tend to get tweaked at the system level a bit more than the average system does.

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with you, Windows Me, is slower and does require more memory but I do believe that it is more stable. That is what I am running now on my A7V with not only a Geforce card but an SBLive as well, I like to live dangerously.

G

Ive got an a7v a t-bird 700 and geforce and its running nicely. Actually like someone mentioned earlier its more likely to be a driver problem. And it just so happens that WinME is a bit picky on drivers (especially the dos based [-peep-] like the ones from creative).

And Allso, a question. In the system that kept crashing. where you using the the first pci slot?

coz apparntely if it´s being used it has been kvown to cause problemz with some AGP cards

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with what everone said above. It has taken a while to get my system stable but it has been driver problems. You need to update all your drivers even with WinMe.
I built a system for my partner using a P3 and the CUSL2 motherboard and found that most of the drivers were up to date for it in WinMe, but the components weren't the latest and greatest except for the motherboard. The fact that WinMe had the latest drivers for the Intel chipset says something about Intel not microbloat.
I am not a fan of Intel, my AMD system is much faster than my partner's, but I have to hand it to Intel that they make a great chipset and support it well with good drivers.
As I have said before, the biggest problem with AMD is that they have never had good chipset support for their processors.

:cool: James

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, Win Me can be made to be as fast over even faster than 98SE with a utility that completly removes the system restore and pcmonitor programs that run resident. It does appear to be more stabil also. There is also one last option which is to install a program that has its own start programs diasble functions. I kinda like winbench99. Useing this you can disable whatever program you dont want running resident and unlike the windows start manger it does not seem to out of the blue turn itself back on.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Though more resources are required, I find WinME to be more stable than Win98SE.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

bsprawka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
no problems here duron 650@900 on Win Me, just make sure you do a clean install(of ME) instead of upgrading. otherwise you will have problems after a while.

G

Thanks for all the responses, I think you guys have answered my question fully.

Thanks.

G

until bios is 1003 (T-bird 1000Mhz, A7V)

Sory about English
Kristo Vel Mefisto

G

>As I have said before, the biggest problem with AMD is >that they have never had good chipset support for their >processors.
should be better with AMD760

Sory about English
Kristo Vel Mefisto