Slot A motherboard for the thunderbird 850

AfroGeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would like a motherboard with a 4x agp slot on it. But I have a slot a thunderbird. are there any motherboards with will work that have a 4x agp slot? Official or unofficial reports are cool.

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
as far as slot-a motherboards, i believe that the boards with the kx133 chipset have agp 2x/4x support and the boards with the amd750 chipset only have agp 2x. i don't use slot-a so i don't know prices but for a quality reputation you might want to look at the abit ka7 or the asus k7v

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
they should both work since they are both slot-a boards. i remember some talk about problems with the slot-a thunderbirds but that might have been with the amd750 chipset. check around and make sure they work well with the kx133 chipset

G

be careful teh MB's with a irongate(amd chipset) north bridge have problems with geforce cards.....

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

AfroGeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey guys, So far I have had ZERO luck with the ASUS K7M, and the Soyo SY-K7VIA. I have had emailings informing me that they K7M does work. But when I called the retailer where I bought the chip from , they said that the K7M is one of the few AMD chipset motherboards that would not work with the thunderbird. The name of the company is called ACCUBYTE. The Chip might be bad. After I bought the chip , it took them 10days to get the dang thing to me leaving me with 5 days on their so called warranty. That time was spent trying to get the chip to work and after all that they said they could not exchange the chip. I feel kinda ripped by that.