1080p video on a 2560x1440 display?

josh2000

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I'm thinking about upgrading to a 2560x1440 monitor, but one thing I'm concerned about it how well blu-ray and other 1080p video will look in fullscreen. I know that for gaming, image quality is always best at native resolution, and upscaling causes pixel distortion. how noticeable is this when watching hi-res movies?

...and that for gaming....upscaling causes pixel distortion...

umm what? the game renders the frames at the resolution you choose in the settings. if you pick 2560x1440 it will render at the same. this is why we have gpu charts with different resolutions for testing fps rates.

the only part of a game which should be a static resolution are elements such as heads up displays (hud) or pre-rendered cutscenes.

movies are also static sized so yes there will be a little bit of distortion due to the scaling up of pixel resolution. things might look a little more blurry than on a 1080p screen of the same size but its not going to be to the extreme. what is the main purpose of the monitor? if for gaming then most likely the 2560x monitor might suit you better. the same goes for if you do alot of work on the pc. if you primarily use it as a blueray (1080p) or console gaming screen (720p or 1080p) in addition to pc gaming (50% or more) then staying at 1080p is most likely the wisest course of action.

josh2000

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

no, I was using games rendered at a non-native resolution as an example, of course I want to play games at 2560x1440. I'm asking if 1080p movies stretched to the higher res is NOTICEABLY worse than on a 1080p display.

right now I use a dell u2412m to watch blu-rays, which I prefer over my samsung 1080p tv because it's a higher quality panel and has better colors. I want the higher res for gaming, but I only have room on my desk for one monitor. I want to know how significant the change in image quality is from resampling 1080p video to fullscreen 2560x1440. if there's excessive bluriness, artifacting, etc. than I would rather just keep the dell.

well... see for yourself.

take any high quality image and crop out a section 1440x810 without scaling or otherwise altering the image. 1080x is roughly 75% of the size of 2560x so this image test will show you what upscaling will look like. try it out on a few images to see.

in general, scaling a lower quality feed up is much more noticible than scaling a high quality feed down.

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
I have a 1440p Samsung and I watch blurays on it. Perhaps there is a tiny bit of blurriness compared to my previous 1080p monitor but due to modern scaling algorithms performed by the gpu it's really not noticeable unless you are looking for it.

I would go ahead with the higher res monitor.

If you are still concerned, it might be best to do a test as ssddx described above.