Why I dislike Intel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

There is one thing that keeps me from liking intel, more than any other factor. It's their annoying jingle they insist on playing anytime the word Intel is mentioned in television advertising. I personally think someone should design a television that automatically mutes the sound anytime the jingle is played. That would be so nice.

DESIGN TEAM.

G

I hate the entire PII advertising campaign (in teh UK) it constsit of three green men trying to play the crappy jingle and taking about 4 attempts at getting it correct.... sounds about par fgor the course really...

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

mpjesse

Splendid
Those three guys are VERY popular performers on Broadway in NYC- except I can't remember their names. Anyways, Intel didn't make them, they merely used their fame to promote their frigin CPU's. I've seen them on stage- they do a lot with paint and wierd shaped objects. Anyhow, it's kinda funny that Intel is advertising their P4 yet...

-MP Jesse

G

umm....it's the blueman group from broadway and they're pretty cool.

G

really, there someone who likes Intel's new ads with the guys with the blue condoms over there heads, they jump around like goons, wow what a improvement LOL. Hey notice there are no mention about specific specs, like the p4 will make your pet wombat run 5 bilion times faster on the web? You wont Intel (i have to stop from typing INHELL) because in the US the new jersy attonry general sued to get in to stop making false claims on the PIII coppermines and New Jersy won, So know you have that wonderfull jingle and the blue condom boys HA HA HA LOL.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel has a lot of money invested in the PIII campaign, and the P4 cost too much to go mainstream. If ordinary buyers KNEW about the P4, they would be asking for P4's instead of PIII's, would find out how much they cost, and then buy an Athlon, assuming that since the P4 is out the PIII must be outdated! I hate intel because of the way they have abused their customers, not because of their adds.

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD probably doesn't advertise because it's a total waste of money. 99% of the users out there don't know the first thing about processors, let alone the fairly complex architecture that makes them work.

That's AMDs problem. What have they got going for them? Well, their processors are better. But the average joe doesn't know that. So, AMD really has nothing in the large scale consumer market.

Intel has Dell. They have years of marketing. They are to processors what McDonalds is to fast food. (only I have to admit, intel has a LONG way to fall before it's as bad as McDonalds)

Fact is, people buy what they know. They know Pentium, so they buy pentium. Breaking into the market is not as simple as making a faster better chip. It means having more attractive, appealing advertising on a gargantuan scale. I am not sure of the exact figures, but I am pretty sure Intel spends more on advertising than AMDs entire budget. So, if AMD channeled ALL of their money into advertising, PLUS got loans in the hundreds of millions for even MORE advertising. AND they kept it up for about 5 years, they would probably see a payoff. Perhaps right before they went bankrupt.

This is why AMD doesn't advertise. It's not cost effective right now.

What AMD needs to do is exactly what it IS doing. Which is gain a good reputation with the hardware sites like TOMs, and with power users like most of us. Once they have that market solidified, they can begin moving into corporate markets, which are more likely to accept preformance specs over catchy jingles. Also remember that in the corporate world, Intel still has a slight edge in the spec sheets. Once they get through the corporate door, they will have the financial base to dump hundreds of millions of dollars into advertising like Intel does.

Bottom line is, Intel is still the undisputed champion of marketing. Their marketing engine is to AMDs what the Athlon 1.2gig is to the P90. In this area they are untouchable right now. So the question is not why AMD doesn't advertise, but why would they waste their money on advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.