Athlon cpu and mobo

MoonSafari

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hello everyone,

i am in the process of upgrading my computer (from an athlon 750 to an athlon 1G...i need the current processor for another machine) i was wondering if you could offer any input as to the best cpu (T-Bird, socket A, Slot A, etc.) and which is the best motherboard.

this computer is used for running 3d animation programs such as 3d studio max, softimage, and maya.

and on a slightly related note...when is AMD going to release a multiple cpu board???

cheers lads

MoonSafari

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
first of all the best cpu to get (assuming you don't wait untill the 133mhz ddr fsb chips are widely available---i think about a month) would be the socket-a thunderbird (all socket-a athlons are called thunderbirds). as far as the motherboard, i'm sure there will be a lot of posts recommending either the asus a7v or the abit kt7. i have no experience with them but a lot of people seem to like them. personally, i am on a tight budget and i have had a lot of success with the epox ep-8kta+ and for the price it can't be beat (unless money is not much of a concern). as far as the multi-processor boards...i'm not to sure but i'm sure the good people of this forum could help on that one.....

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get a T-bird and either an Asus A7V, Abit KT7, or an MSI K7T Pro2. I don't much about the Epox board, but the MSI board is fairly inexpensive compared to the Asus and Abit boards (~$115).

The AMD 760MP chipset is scheduled to be released Q2 2001.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yes get a Thunderbird (socket A), and a good motherboard that has already been recommended.

As for the dual processor boards, I believe they're to be released sometime during Q1 next year.