cpu shutdown!

G

Yesterday i was just about ready to start playing NOLF and then my computer just shutdown!
after countless rebooting i found out that after a few minutes of windows time my computer shuts down by itself.
I looked in the BIOS and my cpu temp was 71c/159f , and the auto shutdown is set to 70/158 so thats probably the reason.
But why my athlon runs so hot?
i checked the fan and its doing its job at 5443 rpm.
If anyone can help PLZ do.

my specs:
slot a athlon 600 K7 (No Overclocking here)
Gigabyte 7ixe Mobo

some more bios monitoring stuff:
Vcore: 1.6
Vcache: 3.168
Vcc3: 3.168

Sorry for the long post, PLz help Thx!

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The big question is what heatsink/fan are you using? Also make sure it is aligned properly on the CPU. Sometimes the heatsink and CPU die are slightly misaligned and the heat doesn't get transferred well. Are you using thermal tape? If so, then peel it off and use a good thermal paste. You could also check the clamp to make sure the heatsink is on firmly. Your CPU shouldn't be any hotter than about 50C.

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
get some of this stuff
<A HREF="http://www.outsideloop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=olcomp&Product_Code=ARC-SMALL&Category_Code=grease" target="_new">Arctic Silver Thermal Compound</A>

make sure you only put a thin layer on the cpu core, to much will act as insulation.

Jeff

G

I never installed a CPU
is there any good guide for that?
i just dont want to screw up my CPU

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah, I would get a new heatsink/fan if I was you. Also, was that one of the first times that you played that game? What kind of computer is it? How fast is the CPU? Alpha typically makes one of the best heatsink/fan combos...

-MP Jesse