Laying computer on its side - OK to do?

I have a new Dell 2400 which won't fit in my computer cabinet in the
up-right position. It will fit if I lay it on it's side. Will this cause
any problems if I do that (or anything I need to watch out for)?

Thanks for the help!
9 answers Last reply
More about laying computer side

    If the 2400 is like other cases, you should not have any problems. Just be
    careful about covering up any air vents if the 2400 has air vents on its
    side.

    Acadia

    "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new Dell 2400 which won't fit in my computer cabinet in the
    > up-right position. It will fit if I lay it on it's side. Will this cause
    > any problems if I do that (or anything I need to watch out for)?
    >
    > Thanks for the help!

    Nope. Just be sure to do so with the removable cover up and accessible.

    Stew

    just turn your monitor sideways and you will be ok. <g>

    WSZsr wrote:

    > just turn your monitor sideways and you will be ok. <g>

    But then all the color will run out <G>

    (Anyone who remembers the Commodore/Amiga 1084 monitor will know what I'm
    talking about)

    Thanks to everyone who replied. The only problem I've seen reported
    relative to doing this involved the CD-R/W not working. Guess I'll just
    have to try it and see.

    Thanks again.

    On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 02:21:01 GMT, Pat wrote:

    > Thanks to everyone who replied. The only problem I've seen reported
    > relative to doing this involved the CD-R/W not working. Guess I'll just
    > have to try it and see.

    Not sure if your CD-RW drive has it, but I remember some drives having
    little catches you could move out to help hold a CD in when the drive
    wasn't set up normally.

    Dave
    --
    We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

    US Army Signal Corps!
    www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    David Casey wrote:

    > Not sure if your CD-RW drive has it, but I remember some drives having
    > little catches you could move out to help hold a CD in when the drive
    > wasn't set up normally.

    My experience is that Dells that are intended to run drives on the side
    have those clips, while the clips aren't on models that aren't designed
    to run on their sides. (My sample -- Dimension 4300S and Optiplex GX60
    in SFF case can be used as desktops (CDs are flat) or towers (CDs are
    vertical), however Dimension 4100, 8200, 8300 are tower only (CDs are
    flat) and lack the hooks).

    David Casey wrote:

    > On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 02:21:01 GMT, Pat wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks to everyone who replied. The only problem I've seen reported
    > > relative to doing this involved the CD-R/W not working. Guess I'll just
    > > have to try it and see.
    >
    > Not sure if your CD-RW drive has it, but I remember some drives having
    > little catches you could move out to help hold a CD in when the drive
    > wasn't set up normally.

    The old ones were movable... Most of the newer models still have tabs,
    except they're alot smaller and fixed.

    Notan

    The organic entity known as Pat communicated the following:

    > I have a new Dell 2400 which won't fit in my computer cabinet in the
    > up-right position. It will fit if I lay it on it's side. Will this
    > cause any problems if I do that (or anything I need to watch out for)?

    No problems. You just have to be that extra careful inserting end ejecting
    CD's.

    Hans

Dell Computer Computers