Mac vs. PC Palm Desktop Data ?????

January 23, 2005 2:50:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.palmtops,microsoft.public.exchange.mobility,microsoft.public.exchange.connectivity (More info?)

What's the reason for Palm Desktop User Data being stored so
completely differently on the Mac OSX platform as opposed to
Windows (I've got Win 2000 running)?

I'd like to be able to "putz around" with the data on the Mac.
But I see that the User Data seems to be stored in one giant
file, in what seems to be a DB format like Dabase or Entourage
or something. The PC stuff for, say, memos, calendar, TO-DO,
etc., seem to be stored in individual, separate text files.

Is there a way I can manipulate these files for various applications
on both platforms without going through the Palm Desktop
software? And move data between them? Or construct, say, a
memo database in another application entirely (maybe even
a text editor, like VI !??!??) and have it hotsync'ed from my IBM
laptop or Powerbook to my Treo650?

And finally, what's the deal with memos being hotsync'ed, but
memo "CATEGORIES" don't carry over? I've got to manually
reset categories or create new categories AFTER I've hotsync'ed
the data? This can't be right.

TIA

Mark

More about : mac palm desktop data

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 6:49:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In article <1106509822.852161.153460@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
gmark@svs.com wrote:

> What's the reason for Palm Desktop User Data being stored so
> completely differently on the Mac OSX platform as opposed to
> Windows (I've got Win 2000 running)?

The Desktops come from different origins.

> Is there a way I can manipulate these files for various applications
> on both platforms without going through the Palm Desktop
> software? And move data between them? Or construct, say, a
> memo database in another application entirely (maybe even
> a text editor, like VI !??!??) and have it hotsync'ed from my IBM
> laptop or Powerbook to my Treo650?

I synchronize my Tungsten E to a Windows 2000 and Mac OS 9 PC every day.

Your handheld is the go-between.

> And finally, what's the deal with memos being hotsync'ed, but
> memo "CATEGORIES" don't carry over? I've got to manually
> reset categories or create new categories AFTER I've hotsync'ed
> the data? This can't be right.

Don't know the complete answer but I've found that if my Desktop
categories don't match my handheld categories, there can be trouble.
!