Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help getting computer to display on tv

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 11, 2012 2:02:32 AM

I just finished doing my first build and while setting everything up I was using a 55" samsung tv via hdmi cable. After finishing setup, I moved computer to my room where I am using a 32" dynex tv via hdmi cable as well. For some reason, however, as soon as it gets past the windows loading screen, it loses connection to the tv. I tried reducing resolution with it hooked up to the 55" but still couldn't get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Intel i7 3770k
AMD Radeon HD 6870 XFX Double Dissipation
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
8 GB DDR3 1600 Patriot G2
128 GB Crucial M4
1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda
680W Apevia PSU

More about : computer display

May 11, 2012 9:54:02 AM

No idea, really... have you tried reducing your desktop resolution?
m
l
May 11, 2012 11:10:02 AM

pdxalex said:
No idea, really... have you tried reducing your desktop resolution?

like I said, I hooked it up to the larger one again and reduced the res but that didn't work. I can get into safe mode and view the screen but not a regular bootup of windows.
m
l
Related resources
a b x TV
May 11, 2012 11:29:16 AM

resolution of each tv?
refresh rate of each tv (60hz, 120hz or 240hz)?
were you using any special "pc mode" or other non-standard display scheme?
were you plugging the tvs in before you started up the pc?
are you using the same hdmi out port on your video card?

--

sometimes when swapping monitors around you can get issues like this...

sometimes it is as simple as the video card exporting to the other port (even though it SHOULD auto detect) or you having the wrong resolution for the device. set the resolution to the same as the device's native resolution (720p or 1080p).

like i said before, things SHOULD auto detect but i've had similar non display issues when swapping between different screens.

m
l
May 11, 2012 12:00:19 PM

ssddx said:
resolution of each tv?
refresh rate of each tv (60hz, 120hz or 240hz)?
were you using any special "pc mode" or other non-standard display scheme?
were you plugging the tvs in before you started up the pc?
are you using the same hdmi out port on your video card?

--

sometimes when swapping monitors around you can get issues like this...

sometimes it is as simple as the video card exporting to the other port (even though it SHOULD auto detect) or you having the wrong resolution for the device. set the resolution to the same as the device's native resolution (720p or 1080p).

like i said before, things SHOULD auto detect but i've had similar non display issues when swapping between different screens.

Res of large tv is 1080p; small is 720p
both are 60hz
no special mode
yes both plugged in before turning on
only 1 hdmi port on video card

I tried decreasing res on large tv then switching again to no avail.
m
l

Best solution

a b x TV
May 11, 2012 4:23:16 PM

on the large tv you should only be running at 1920x1080 resolution and on the small tv you should be only running at 1280x720. as stated prior your computer should normally default to this setting.

the tv might have trouble displaying an image if it is not receiving a format it can view. try this.
May 12, 2012 2:46:22 AM

ssddx said:
on the large tv you should only be running at 1920x1080 resolution and on the small tv you should be only running at 1280x720. as stated prior your computer should normally default to this setting.

the tv might have trouble displaying an image if it is not receiving a format it can view. try this.

thanks for trying to help me. I had already tried adjusting the resolution. I found out it was a driver that was supposed to install with catalyst control center, which for some reason failed to install. oh well....poo poo ocurs. thanks for trying to help anyway.
m
l
May 12, 2012 2:46:47 AM

Best answer selected by rcm024.
m
l
!