2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
at least 720p full hd would be nice, Really would love a non-glossy screen for photo's but they are hard to find...
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?at least 3 hrs...more the better
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? yes Its important that it can play games but i dont want something that has 1hr battery either. SC2 (Medium), Diablo 3(Medium) when it comes out, then pretty much just emulators. As long as i can run the games with good FPS on low to medium i would rather have more battery life than a power hungry card. Would like to stay away from optimus as I will be using linux...see additional comments
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
All around use, and Photo/Video editing, watching movies, some music production
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
this can be whatever i have a 125gb solid state laying around to put in
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
bluray reader would be nice but not needed
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Iwould rather not have a dell or HP, as I have had bad exp with them, open to others, really like some of the IBM and sager especially the sager np5135 but the optimus graphics kinda make it useless in linux
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Will be using Linux as my main OS and dual boot windows 7 64bit only for gaming and a few music production apps. Have read that linux has no support for nvidia optimus, which is unfortunate, would love to have the power saving feature while have great gaming performance. Good cooling, my last laptop was a first gen Intel macbook pro, heat was an issue to say the least. Like an all black case, dont like silver.
Thank you for all the help. seems like everyone likes this laptop . I dont see how the i7 would be much better than the i5 though, seems like it would drain the battery faster. I dont think there would be a noticeable difference in the i5 and i7 as far as gaming is concerned, and I could only see the i7 helping me a bit in the video editing and virtual machines, which i wont be doing much of on the laptop as I have a 6core i7 desktop rig to handle most of the hard work, im more looking for portability. Can you tell me if the i7 power boost would even be noticeable for the trade off on battery life?
Also anyone know of any good screen covers that help with negate the glossy screens?