ANNOUNCE: HA! 0.1.6 released

and there was much rejoicing:

http://www.heroicadventure.com/dev/release/HA_016.zip

(ok perhaps not much rejoicing, but I'm pretty happy about it. It's been
nearly a year since 0.1.5c I think. Told ya it wasn't dead...)

What's new? Skills, Traps, Secret Doors, new monsters, etc.

IMO the game is too hard, but most of that will be mitigated once I add
more magic items and finish the code for missile weapons, wands and
spells. Currently there are no magical weapons or armor, just regular.

I've decided to try adhering to a quarterly release schedule. 0.1.7
should roll out around the beginning of August (maybe sooner).

Also, HA! now requires the 2.0 .NET Framework. Check the HA! readme file
for a link to the dotnetfx.exe file.

Yes I know... *insert MS related tirade here* but it's my platform of
choice. You can always go MONO (http://www.go-mono.com) if you want. No
I haven't tried HA! on MONO yet, since I don't currently have a Linux
box set up. (I've had a few distros over the years... Mandrake, RedHat
and Knoppix, but I keep going back to Windows... sorry)

Yes I know... HA! looks a fair amount like ADOM. That's because ADOM is
my favorite Roguelike, and I don't see any point in reinventing the
wheel if there's a look and feel I already like.
10 answers Last reply
More about announce released
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    CK wrote:

    > On a big, big plus side though: There's source code! Who'd have
    > thought?!?! I'll bet that's a real rarity on this NG seems as how the

    > ADOM source was supposed to be released w/ ver 1.0 of ADOM but a
    certain
    > someone backed out. How brilliant. I've quit playing ADOM hardly at
    all
    > anymore. Nice cop out Tommy boy...
    >
    > Maybe once you release all of the code to HA we'll all be able to
    make
    > something better than ADOM and forget it.

    Calm down Mike3.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    AdderD wrote:
    > Heroic Adventure wrote:
    >
    >>CK wrote:
    >>
    >>> On a big, big plus side though: There's source code! Who'd have
    >>> thought?!?! I'll bet that's a real rarity on this NG seems as how
    >>> the ADOM source was supposed to be released w/ ver 1.0 of ADOM but a
    >>> certain someone backed out. How brilliant. I've quit playing ADOM hardly at
    >>> all anymore. Nice cop out Tommy boy...
    >>
    >> well with all due respect to TB, if I was treated the way he was, I'd
    >> probably do the same. It only takes a few folks to ruin it for
    >> everyone.
    >
    >> We should consider ourselves fortunate he continued developing it at
    >> all.
    >
    > Personally I would still consider it as going back on his word. You
    > don't tell people you are going to do something and string them along
    > and then up and decide not to do it at the last minute.

    "At the last minute?" The statement that the source code might not be
    published after all due to some idiots announcing variants was made
    *years* before 1.0.0. Granted, at that time it was only a "might not
    be", and it only turned into a "will not be" later, but it was hardly a
    surprise to anyone then.

    > That's just stupid any way you look at it. Whether a few idiots said
    > things or not is completed beside the point. Letting a few people
    > ruin it for everyone reflects worse on him than it does on them.

    I don't think so, but then I often don't understand the attitude that
    some people show towards other people's work, so maybe I am in a
    minority here.

    I don't know why you're starting to crosspost this thread to r.g.r.adom
    all of a sudden -- let's please keep this where it started. This topic
    has been discussed again and again over here and nothing good has come
    out of it. This is in the newsgroup FAQ, too.

    Malte
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    You act as if it's completely outside of my rights to complain that he
    has allowed a few people to ruin it for everyone else. I dont care what
    the NG FAQ says it's still a decision I don't agree with. Does he care?
    Probably not. Do I care that he doesn't care? No. I'm just voicing an
    opinion. And I haven't been cross posting as I'm apparently a different
    person that who ever posted something like this on some other NG.

    The very fact that it HAS been discussed time and time again should
    tell you that I'm not the only one disappointed by the reversal of his
    decision. I agree that it was always his choice to make but I don't
    agree with the decision itself.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    AdderD wrote:

    > The very fact that it HAS been discussed time and time again should
    > tell you that I'm not the only one disappointed by the reversal of his
    > decision. I agree that it was always his choice to make but I don't
    > agree with the decision itself.

    I didn't think that you were the only one, and I don't deny your right
    to be disappointed about how it worked out. What I am saying is that
    those discussions haven't turned out to be very fruitful in the past,
    and many people here have grown somewhat wary of them. There are good
    reasons why the previous FAQ maintainer (or was it the one before him?)
    added that entry to the FAQ; they shouldn't be too hard to google for.

    Repeating it here for everybody's convenience:
    1.2: Are there any topics I should avoid?

    Some topics have led to several ugly discussions and 'flame wars' in the
    past. If you don't want to come across as rude, you should avoid them.
    Be warned that some newsgroup denizens will react very angrily if you
    don't follow this advice. These taboo topics include:

    * The release of the source code. Everything has been said on this
    topic already. Please respect Thomas' decision.
    * The functional status of the Save feature. It is designed as a
    'save so you can continue your game later' feature, not as a 'save
    just in case something bad happens so I can avoid negative
    consequences' feature. See question 4.3: What is save scumming?
    for more details.
    * Badmouthing specific countries. You might disapprove of the USA,
    Finland, Germany, or whatever country you wish, but please keep it
    to yourself. If you must discuss politics in the newsgroup, feel
    free to criticize specific opinions or agendas, but not countries
    as a whole. Each country has its fair share of stupid and nice
    citizens.

    I've been following the discussion in r.g.r.development, and it seemed
    quite emotionally loaded, with all that "liar" stuff and so on.
    r.g.r.misc and r.g.r.development are full of flames these days. Let's
    not add this newsgroup to that list.

    To everyone: Does anyone else think we could get rid of the third entry
    of the "taboo topic" list? It always felt like "the Karkadinn rule" to
    me, if you know what I mean.

    Malte
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
    [ ... ]
    > To everyone: Does anyone else think we could get rid of the third entry
    > of the "taboo topic" list? It always felt like "the Karkadinn rule" to
    > me, if you know what I mean.

    There hasn't been anything like the mood of those days lately, so point
    three may be somewhat moot, indeed. However, it is a nice, harmless
    statement of good intent that doesn't do much harm, either, so why not leave
    it as it is? But then I might be feeling somewhat defeatist today, but
    discussing the FAQ of a newsgroup that has been, well, on hiatus for some
    weeks now...

    Cheers, Gero

    --
    Gero Kunter (gero.kunter@epost.de)
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Josh Singh wrote:
    > Gero Kunter (gero.kunter@epost.de) writes:
    >
    >>Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
    >>[ ... ]
    >>
    >>>To everyone: Does anyone else think we could get rid of the third
    >>>entry of the "taboo topic" list? It always felt like "the Karkadinn
    >>>rule" to me, if you know what I mean.
    >>
    >> There hasn't been anything like the mood of those days lately, so
    >>point three may be somewhat moot, indeed. However, it is a nice,
    >>harmless statement of good intent that doesn't do much harm, either,
    >>so why not leave it as it is?

    Because it sounds so arbitrary. There are lots of trollish things that
    could be included there but aren't, like inciting religious debates, or
    operating system battles, or whatever.

    >>But then I might be feeling somewhat
    >>defeatist today, but discussing the FAQ of a newsgroup that has been,
    >>well, on hiatus for some weeks now...

    There's nothing like meta-discussions for getting the ole post flow up
    to speed. If you've been following r.g.r.misc and r.g.r.development
    lately, I don't need to tell you that.

    > On the third taboo topic, I say take it out. Then people can make fun of
    > Canadians. I would find that interesting. It's amusing to see what bullshit
    > people have in their heads about the way we live.

    To this outsider, it didn't look so different from south of the border. :->

    Malte
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
    > Josh Singh wrote:
    >> Gero Kunter (gero.kunter@epost.de) writes:
    >>
    >>>Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
    >>>[ ... ]

    [ ... ]
    >>>so why not leave it as it is?

    > Because it sounds so arbitrary. There are lots of trollish things that
    > could be included there but aren't, like inciting religious debates, or
    > operating system battles, or whatever.

    Okay, I see your point. Abolish the Lex Karkadinnes, then, and maybe
    replace it by a formulation along the lines of "as billions of Usenet posts
    have proven, it is impossible to change another poster's mind over some
    topics, so don't even try".

    >>>But then I might be feeling somewhat defeatist today, but discussing the
    >>>FAQ of a newsgroup that has been, well, on hiatus for some weeks now...

    > There's nothing like meta-discussions for getting the ole post flow up
    > to speed. If you've been following r.g.r.misc and r.g.r.development
    > lately, I don't need to tell you that.

    Indeed. Yet I don't think that anyone might want that type of discussion
    here as well.

    >> On the third taboo topic, I say take it out. Then people can make fun of
    >> Canadians. I would find that interesting. It's amusing to see what
    >> bullshit people have in their heads about the way we live.

    > To this outsider, it didn't look so different from south of the border. :->

    No, Malte, that's a very inaccurate observation. To start with, all
    Canadians speak French as their first language, and if they don't, they say
    odd things like "feighd it oat" when they mean "fight it out". :)

    Cheers, Gero

    --
    Gero Kunter (gero.kunter@epost.de)
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    Gero Kunter (gero.kunter@epost.de) writes:
    > Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
    >> Josh Singh wrote:
    >
    >>> On the third taboo topic, I say take it out. Then people can make
    >>> fun of Canadians. I would find that interesting. It's amusing to
    >>> see what bullshit people have in their heads about the way we live.
    >
    >> To this outsider, it didn't look so different from south of the
    >> border. :->

    That's probably because, despite our lack of military and our Commie
    tendencies, it isn't.

    > No, Malte, that's a very inaccurate observation. To start with, all
    > Canadians speak French as their first language, and if they don't,
    > they say odd things like "feighd it oat" when they mean "fight it
    > out". :)

    I doon't know what you talkin' aboot. English and French are the same
    language, anyway.

    You can walk around the streets of Toronto all day and never hear a word of
    French, except perhaps out of immigrants from Cote D'Ivoire. Hell, you might
    not hear a word of English, either. You'll hear plenty of Gujarati, Tamil,
    Mandarin, Italian, Portuguese, Polish (kielbasa!), Greekian, Armenian,
    Arabic... Latin, Sanskrit, Gothic... how many languages are there in the
    world? Whatever that number is, subtract English and French and that's the
    number of languages in Canada.

    Well, I will say this about multiculturalism: lots and lots of tasty dishes.

    --
    Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
    The Pandora's Box of the Internet

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:53:57 -0400, Josh Singh wrote:

    > You can walk around the streets of Toronto all day and never hear a word
    > of French, except perhaps out of immigrants from Cote D'Ivoire. Hell, you
    > might not hear a word of English, either. You'll hear plenty of Gujarati,

    I have to say that my vacation to Nova Scotia last year was very nice. Of
    course, it'd have been even better if I had known everything in NS was
    closed on Sunday, and that everything was also closed on Monday (which
    happened to be Labor day).
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.adom (More info?)

    frobnoid (frobnoid@orders2.tmok.com) writes:

    > I have to say that my vacation to Nova Scotia last year was very
    > nice. Of course, it'd have been even better if I had known everything
    > in NS was closed on Sunday, and that everything was also closed on
    > Monday (which happened to be Labor day).

    Well I can't say much about that. I've known Nova Scotians, but I've never
    been myself and they've never mentioned that. But this has reminded me of
    that odd belief that Americans seem to have that all Canadians know all
    other Canadians, i.e. "Do you know Jenny from Vancouver?" Oh yeah, I saw her
    the other day. In fact, I've met all thirty million Canadians through the
    ten provinces and three territories.

    Damn, I just don't get people. Not that I'm saying you're one of those
    folks, of course.

    --
    Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
    The Pandora's Box of the Internet
    http://chat.carleton.ca/~jsingh3/
    or http://www.currybucket.cjb.net/

Video Games