ANNOUNCE: HA! 0.1.6 released

Last response: in Video Games
April 27, 2005 3:38:43 AM

and there was much rejoicing:

http://www.heroicadventure.com/dev/release/HA_016.zip

(ok perhaps not much rejoicing, but I'm pretty happy about it. It's been
nearly a year since 0.1.5c I think. Told ya it wasn't dead...)

What's new? Skills, Traps, Secret Doors, new monsters, etc.

IMO the game is too hard, but most of that will be mitigated once I add
more magic items and finish the code for missile weapons, wands and
spells. Currently there are no magical weapons or armor, just regular.

I've decided to try adhering to a quarterly release schedule. 0.1.7
should roll out around the beginning of August (maybe sooner).

Also, HA! now requires the 2.0 .NET Framework. Check the HA! readme file
for a link to the dotnetfx.exe file.

Yes I know... *insert MS related tirade here* but it's my platform of
choice. You can always go MONO (http://www.go-mono.com) if you want. No
I haven't tried HA! on MONO yet, since I don't currently have a Linux
box set up. (I've had a few distros over the years... Mandrake, RedHat
and Knoppix, but I keep going back to Windows... sorry)

Yes I know... HA! looks a fair amount like ADOM. That's because ADOM is
my favorite Roguelike, and I don't see any point in reinventing the
wheel if there's a look and feel I already like.

More about : announce released

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 3:37:39 PM

CK wrote:

> On a big, big plus side though: There's source code! Who'd have
> thought?!?! I'll bet that's a real rarity on this NG seems as how the

> ADOM source was supposed to be released w/ ver 1.0 of ADOM but a
certain
> someone backed out. How brilliant. I've quit playing ADOM hardly at
all
> anymore. Nice cop out Tommy boy...
>
> Maybe once you release all of the code to HA we'll all be able to
make
> something better than ADOM and forget it.

Calm down Mike3.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 2:46:41 AM

AdderD wrote:
> Heroic Adventure wrote:
>
>>CK wrote:
>>
>>> On a big, big plus side though: There's source code! Who'd have
>>> thought?!?! I'll bet that's a real rarity on this NG seems as how
>>> the ADOM source was supposed to be released w/ ver 1.0 of ADOM but a
>>> certain someone backed out. How brilliant. I've quit playing ADOM hardly at
>>> all anymore. Nice cop out Tommy boy...
>>
>> well with all due respect to TB, if I was treated the way he was, I'd
>> probably do the same. It only takes a few folks to ruin it for
>> everyone.
>
>> We should consider ourselves fortunate he continued developing it at
>> all.
>
> Personally I would still consider it as going back on his word. You
> don't tell people you are going to do something and string them along
> and then up and decide not to do it at the last minute.

"At the last minute?" The statement that the source code might not be
published after all due to some idiots announcing variants was made
*years* before 1.0.0. Granted, at that time it was only a "might not
be", and it only turned into a "will not be" later, but it was hardly a
surprise to anyone then.

> That's just stupid any way you look at it. Whether a few idiots said
> things or not is completed beside the point. Letting a few people
> ruin it for everyone reflects worse on him than it does on them.

I don't think so, but then I often don't understand the attitude that
some people show towards other people's work, so maybe I am in a
minority here.

I don't know why you're starting to crosspost this thread to r.g.r.adom
all of a sudden -- let's please keep this where it started. This topic
has been discussed again and again over here and nothing good has come
out of it. This is in the newsgroup FAQ, too.

Malte
May 15, 2005 4:29:47 PM

You act as if it's completely outside of my rights to complain that he
has allowed a few people to ruin it for everyone else. I dont care what
the NG FAQ says it's still a decision I don't agree with. Does he care?
Probably not. Do I care that he doesn't care? No. I'm just voicing an
opinion. And I haven't been cross posting as I'm apparently a different
person that who ever posted something like this on some other NG.

The very fact that it HAS been discussed time and time again should
tell you that I'm not the only one disappointed by the reversal of his
decision. I agree that it was always his choice to make but I don't
agree with the decision itself.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 2:38:56 AM

AdderD wrote:

> The very fact that it HAS been discussed time and time again should
> tell you that I'm not the only one disappointed by the reversal of his
> decision. I agree that it was always his choice to make but I don't
> agree with the decision itself.

I didn't think that you were the only one, and I don't deny your right
to be disappointed about how it worked out. What I am saying is that
those discussions haven't turned out to be very fruitful in the past,
and many people here have grown somewhat wary of them. There are good
reasons why the previous FAQ maintainer (or was it the one before him?)
added that entry to the FAQ; they shouldn't be too hard to google for.

Repeating it here for everybody's convenience:
1.2: Are there any topics I should avoid?

Some topics have led to several ugly discussions and 'flame wars' in the
past. If you don't want to come across as rude, you should avoid them.
Be warned that some newsgroup denizens will react very angrily if you
don't follow this advice. These taboo topics include:

* The release of the source code. Everything has been said on this
topic already. Please respect Thomas' decision.
* The functional status of the Save feature. It is designed as a
'save so you can continue your game later' feature, not as a 'save
just in case something bad happens so I can avoid negative
consequences' feature. See question 4.3: What is save scumming?
for more details.
* Badmouthing specific countries. You might disapprove of the USA,
Finland, Germany, or whatever country you wish, but please keep it
to yourself. If you must discuss politics in the newsgroup, feel
free to criticize specific opinions or agendas, but not countries
as a whole. Each country has its fair share of stupid and nice
citizens.

I've been following the discussion in r.g.r.development, and it seemed
quite emotionally loaded, with all that "liar" stuff and so on.
r.g.r.misc and r.g.r.development are full of flames these days. Let's
not add this newsgroup to that list.

To everyone: Does anyone else think we could get rid of the third entry
of the "taboo topic" list? It always felt like "the Karkadinn rule" to
me, if you know what I mean.

Malte
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 5:15:49 AM

Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
[ ... ]
> To everyone: Does anyone else think we could get rid of the third entry
> of the "taboo topic" list? It always felt like "the Karkadinn rule" to
> me, if you know what I mean.

There hasn't been anything like the mood of those days lately, so point
three may be somewhat moot, indeed. However, it is a nice, harmless
statement of good intent that doesn't do much harm, either, so why not leave
it as it is? But then I might be feeling somewhat defeatist today, but
discussing the FAQ of a newsgroup that has been, well, on hiatus for some
weeks now...

Cheers, Gero

--
Gero Kunter (gero.kunter@epost.de)
Anonymous

Josh Singh wrote:
> Gero Kunter (gero.kunter@epost.de) writes:
>
>>Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
>>[ ... ]
>>
>>>To everyone: Does anyone else think we could get rid of the third
>>>entry of the "taboo topic" list? It always felt like "the Karkadinn
>>>rule" to me, if you know what I mean.
>>
>> There hasn't been anything like the mood of those days lately, so
>>point three may be somewhat moot, indeed. However, it is a nice,
>>harmless statement of good intent that doesn't do much harm, either,
>>so why not leave it as it is?

Because it sounds so arbitrary. There are lots of trollish things that
could be included there but aren't, like inciting religious debates, or
operating system battles, or whatever.

>>But then I might be feeling somewhat
>>defeatist today, but discussing the FAQ of a newsgroup that has been,
>>well, on hiatus for some weeks now...

There's nothing like meta-discussions for getting the ole post flow up
to speed. If you've been following r.g.r.misc and r.g.r.development
lately, I don't need to tell you that.

> On the third taboo topic, I say take it out. Then people can make fun of
> Canadians. I would find that interesting. It's amusing to see what bullshit
> people have in their heads about the way we live.

To this outsider, it didn't look so different from south of the border. :->

Malte
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:53:27 PM

Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> Josh Singh wrote:
>> Gero Kunter (gero.kunter@epost.de) writes:
>>
>>>Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
>>>[ ... ]

[ ... ]
>>>so why not leave it as it is?

> Because it sounds so arbitrary. There are lots of trollish things that
> could be included there but aren't, like inciting religious debates, or
> operating system battles, or whatever.

Okay, I see your point. Abolish the Lex Karkadinnes, then, and maybe
replace it by a formulation along the lines of "as billions of Usenet posts
have proven, it is impossible to change another poster's mind over some
topics, so don't even try".

>>>But then I might be feeling somewhat defeatist today, but discussing the
>>>FAQ of a newsgroup that has been, well, on hiatus for some weeks now...

> There's nothing like meta-discussions for getting the ole post flow up
> to speed. If you've been following r.g.r.misc and r.g.r.development
> lately, I don't need to tell you that.

Indeed. Yet I don't think that anyone might want that type of discussion
here as well.

>> On the third taboo topic, I say take it out. Then people can make fun of
>> Canadians. I would find that interesting. It's amusing to see what
>> bullshit people have in their heads about the way we live.

> To this outsider, it didn't look so different from south of the border. :->

No, Malte, that's a very inaccurate observation. To start with, all
Canadians speak French as their first language, and if they don't, they say
odd things like "feighd it oat" when they mean "fight it out". :)

Cheers, Gero

--
Gero Kunter (gero.kunter@epost.de)
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:53:57 PM

Gero Kunter (gero.kunter@epost.de) writes:
> Malte Helmert <helmert@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
>> Josh Singh wrote:
>
>>> On the third taboo topic, I say take it out. Then people can make
>>> fun of Canadians. I would find that interesting. It's amusing to
>>> see what bullshit people have in their heads about the way we live.
>
>> To this outsider, it didn't look so different from south of the
>> border. :->

That's probably because, despite our lack of military and our Commie
tendencies, it isn't.

> No, Malte, that's a very inaccurate observation. To start with, all
> Canadians speak French as their first language, and if they don't,
> they say odd things like "feighd it oat" when they mean "fight it
> out". :)

I doon't know what you talkin' aboot. English and French are the same
language, anyway.

You can walk around the streets of Toronto all day and never hear a word of
French, except perhaps out of immigrants from Cote D'Ivoire. Hell, you might
not hear a word of English, either. You'll hear plenty of Gujarati, Tamil,
Mandarin, Italian, Portuguese, Polish (kielbasa!), Greekian, Armenian,
Arabic... Latin, Sanskrit, Gothic... how many languages are there in the
world? Whatever that number is, subtract English and French and that's the
number of languages in Canada.

Well, I will say this about multiculturalism: lots and lots of tasty dishes.

--
Curry Bucket's Controversial Web Presence:
The Pandora's Box of the Internet

On Thu, 19 May 2005 11:53:57 -0400, Josh Singh wrote:

> You can walk around the streets of Toronto all day and never hear a word
> of French, except perhaps out of immigrants from Cote D'Ivoire. Hell, you
> might not hear a word of English, either. You'll hear plenty of Gujarati,

I have to say that my vacation to Nova Scotia last year was very nice. Of
course, it'd have been even better if I had known everything in NS was
closed on Sunday, and that everything was also closed on Monday (which
happened to be Labor day).
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:20:29 AM

frobnoid (frobnoid@orders2.tmok.com) writes:

> I have to say that my vacation to Nova Scotia last year was very
> nice. Of course, it'd have been even better if I had known everything
> in NS was closed on Sunday, and that everything was also closed on
> Monday (which happened to be Labor day).

Well I can't say much about that. I've known Nova Scotians, but I've never
been myself and they've never mentioned that. But this has reminded me of
that odd belief that Americans seem to have that all Canadians know all
other Canadians, i.e. "Do you know Jenny from Vancouver?" Oh yeah, I saw her
the other day. In fact, I've met all thirty million Canadians through the
ten provinces and three territories.

Damn, I just don't get people. Not that I'm saying you're one of those
folks, of course.

--
!