I am looking to buy a new laptop in Febuary. I want an i7 but wonder if all I really need is an i5. Also do I want to get the RAM memory from the manufacurer. I have read that 4 GB Ram should be all I need. Maybe I can expand later. I want to use the Intel Wireless Display, the i7 6XXM series of cpu are the only i7 that use that tech. The i5 & i3s have more selection. NVidia also seems like my best Video chocie. I could be swayed to the ATI side maybe. Do I really need 1GB video Ram or will 512 mb be enough? I do alot of traveling around the world and need a all in one entertainment machine. How I would like long battery time, but I realize the best I will get is 2 hours if I am lucky.
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15' to 17" I understand I can get better resilutions on the 17"
3. What screen resolution do you want?
I have 1680 X 1050
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
2 + hours
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I would like High settings but could settle for medium. The games, CODMW, CODMW2, Mass Effect, Crysis, Civ V. etc.....
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Movies, Photo editing, lite Video editing
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
at least 250 gb
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Blu-ray ROM/ dvd/ cd RW
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Overall, the new Core i5 processors are far more evolutionary than revolutionary. While these new processors are actually quite a bit different from the Core i7 processors currently available, many features, such as the enhanced turbo boost and dual-channel memory, are shared with new Core i7 processors.
As I look further into the WiDi tech I find that I would have to sacrifice gameplay to use it. No dedicated video card, must have the intel onboard grafics. So, I am going for the i7. Now the difference between NVida or ATI, which would be better? are they about the same? will price be different? Do I need 1Gb video?
the one i mentioned above is a good choice since it has ati 5870 which is a fast GPU plus less power consumption as compared with similarly powered nvidia(gtx460) so it will provide betetr temperatures and standby timings.