Check-out time (I hope)

G

This board has been incredibly helpful in helping me to get all these parts straight. I _think_ I've got everything in order and just wanted to post the whole thing incase I have overlooked something that will end up costing me down the road. As of right now, this is the system:

-THUNDERBIRD P1200MHZ SOCKET A (200Mhz BUS)
-Abit Socket A Ultra ATA100 Raid VIA KT133 ATX
-Hedgehog Heatsink 238 for Socket A with fan
-2x IBM 30.7GB Ultra-ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
-256MB PC133 memory CL=2 (from crucial)
-Pioneer DVD-105S 16X EIDE Slot Load
-GUILLEMOT 3D Prophet II GTS ULTRA 64MB DDR AGP With TV/OUT
-Sound Blaster LIVE X-GAMER 5.1
-Studio PC Pro TV tuner card
-MWAVE CI-6606/3 MIDDLE TOWER W/300W
-ADA880 Dolby System (5 pc) *** 80w RMS Subwoofer with 4 top quality satellite speakers,Dolby® Pro Logic Surround Sound, True Digital Audio

Just a few questions:

1) How much of a performance boost will the DDR mobos and DDR ram provide? Specifically, 256 MB of PC133 Vs 128MB of DDR (266MHz FSB). Is it worth it to wait?

2) With this being a slow year for PCs, would it be too horrible to buy this thing before xmas? I'd like to have it built (if possible) before the next semester starts (Jan 5).

Thanks again for all the great help on this board!

Krazydave

G

You may like to take a look at the Asus 7700 AGP cards. Tom did a review, and they seemed to come out top, if you want video in/out. They also do a model with TV tuner built in.
Seeing as you are aiming for a really smoking system, the best soundcard for professional use is probably the Yamaha SW1000XG. For midi, and audio production, it is the way to go. It really depends what you are looking to do with your system...for serious multimedia, those two are worth a look.

Good luck.

DESIGN TEAM

G

Make sure your PC133 is using 7ns which will be stable up to 143Mhz, if you picked a 7.5ns which only goes 133Mhz then forget about O/C, unless you reduce it to 100Mhz to start with.

more ram have nothing to do with fast ram.

If the software you use does not take up ram then little ram with more ram will have no difference

If the software you use is processing on a 300MB database, then even 256MB will not be enough, and virtual memory comes in which slows the system down.

So ultimately always have fatest kind of ram, there are no places to buy DDR easily and if you need PC for work now, then you have no choice but to buy now.

oh yes, there are also some PC133 at 6ns, heck even 7ns is hard to find, worst most retailers might not even know what you are talking about.

Best regards
cx5