New mobo/processor won't boot win7

overclocked2x

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
I upgraded to a new processor, motherboard, and gpu. I insalled all the new hardware and turned it on. Windows 7 won't/can't load and can't repair. I can't lose the data on the HDD because there's some very important stuff on there.

Sapphire 7950 HD
Corsair cx500
AMD FX 6100
Hyper 212 evo
WD 1TB green
6gb RAM
5 120mm fans
Cooler master 430 elite case

Unless it's the same chipset on the mobo Windows will need to be reinstalled to really do it right. Like poster said above, you can try to contact MS to allow you to activate but it's a crapshoot since they really don't have to (OEM is tied to the mobo it's installed on).

Edit: If there's important data on there, it should be backed up on an external hard drive.

You *could* put the old system back together, use a free partitiion manager to make a C: and D: drive with all your data to save on D:, get MS to unlock or spend $100 on OEM windows, put the new system together and install on C:. Regardless, back up the data.

bucknutty

Distinguished
If the new mother board is a completely new chipset the windows install on your drive will have trouble with the drivers. Some times you can load safe mode and install the drivers manually from the manufactures website, but normally a reinstall is in order.

Can you install windows to another hdd to access your current drive as a slave?

Maybe you can bread board the old mother board and cpu on a table top just long enough to boot of the hdd and save all your stuff onto a usb drive or over the network.

overclocked2x

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
How do I run it in safe mode? Theres no option on startup. and I have a 64gb flash drive so it should work but I'm downloading Linux on it atm to make sure it's not the HDD itself. I'm also reconstructing my old rig in a new case to try to get it running agian.

bucknutty

Distinguished
As you power on the computer just tap F8 to interupt the boot. Windows will then ask you what you want to do. Pick safe mode.

If your going to try to put the drive back on the old motherboard, you are better off not installing the drivers for the new motherboard in safe mode. You might just muck stuff up worse.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
I changed MB, CPU and RAM from AMD 64 3000+ socket 939 and DDR"1" to Pentium G860 and my old Win7 boots w/o any problems or questions:) I was surprised to be honest and I can see now that I was very lucky.

bucknutty

Distinguished
It really is a crap shoot. I have moved hdds from intel g31 boards to g41 boards with the same cpu and ram and had windows explode. Recently I moved 3 hdds from 3 different nvidia 750i mobos to new intel z77s and all 3 work fine. You really never know.