Sign in with
Your question

Thinking of doing a fresh install of Win 7 how should I go about this?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 2, 2013 7:03:26 PM

Is it more complicated than "delete OS, re-install OS, download things you need"? Would all my components work without their drivers and such?

Forgive me for the dumb question, but I've looked this up and nothing says a word about drivers.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
January 2, 2013 7:38:57 PM

Your hardware will not work without the proper driver installed. Windows 7 will supply some but not all the third-party drivers you need. Those that are missing, you will have to download from your PC manufacturer's website if it's factory-built, or from the motherboard manufacturer's website if the PC was not factory-built.
Related resources
January 8, 2013 10:41:17 PM

phil22 said:
Your hardware will not work without the proper driver installed. Windows 7 will supply some but not all the third-party drivers you need. Those that are missing, you will have to download from your PC manufacturer's website if it's factory-built, or from the motherboard manufacturer's website if the PC was not factory-built.

It's a hybrid I suppose. It was factory built until I put in a new GPU an PSU. The manufacturers website has no motherboard drivers, but the foxconn (makers of the motherboard) supposedly does. No clue if those would work. And how would I install drivers on an operating system that doesn't work yet? Burn the drivers on a CD with a different computer and install through that? And would motherboard drivers be the only thing I would need to get it up and running enough to get other drivers directly?
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 1:21:11 AM

Even without drivers, the OS will still work. Like phil22 said, windows 7 comes with many specific and generic drivers. You will likely still need to install a few. Don't use the Manufactuer of the board or card for the drivers. Go straight to the chipset manufacturers site.
!