Is everyone on vacation?

Batman? wrote:
> This Newsgroup has been dead as of late.

I rely on this newsgroup for entertainment in the slow times at work.
I've been reading this newsgroup on and off for about 3 years and I've
never seen a lull like this. Come on guys! Have questions!

-Ryan

rdougher wrote:
> Batman? wrote:
>
>> This Newsgroup has been dead as of late.
>

> I rely on this newsgroup for entertainment in the slow times at work.
> I've been reading this newsgroup on and off for about 3 years and I've
> never seen a lull like this. Come on guys! Have questions!
>
> -Ryan

The frontier of ADOM discussion was centered around discovering the
game's mechanisms. It seems like the knowledge that this group has
amassed is at the threshold of what may be discerned without
disassembling the binary. Short of a few room or level messages, Andy's
Guide Book has most of the game fleshed out. Of course, knowing /about/
the game is no substitute for the excitement experienced by actually
playing.

Since Thomas has clearly stated that he is vehemently against code
diving and is at least squeamish about discussing secrets, he has
stymied the group's most valued contributors. Knowing all about Black
Unicorns doesn't make finding a tension room full of them any less
terrifying. I think that all but the most hardened ADOM players still
feel a quickening of the pulse when their character hears their first
*THUMB*.

Without discussion of mechanics, this group's most interesting topic has
been annihilated. Sure, I could tell you guys about how the RNG gobbled
my last 1,000 characters, but that's not (particularly) exciting.
Discovering how ADOM works *is*.

Now there's talk of a Mac version (which shouldn't be too tough to port
to; OS X is supposed to be very similar to BSD), and work on JADE, but
what I want is another ADOM release! As a community, r.g.r.a has
play-tested ADOM for countless hours, outlined the bugs, stumbled upon
the rough edges, and even, in some cases wrote patches for the bugs
themselves!

We love this game, but it's looking more like Thomas doesn't want to
deal with it anymore. Information on development is rare. The old bug
registry is untouched. ADOM Deluxe is sitting on a shelf somewhere next
to Duke Nukem Forever.

I really would like development on ADOM to continue, and I would gladly
volunteer my time to help; I have already contributed my money. I don't
want my negative comments to discourage Thomas, but my negativity is
reinforced by his, and this group's, silence. There is something very
special about ADOM that is worth sustaining. I don't want to waste my
days playing Nethack-alikes; I want a new version of ADOM!

--Mike

Mike Meehan wrote:
> We love this game, but it's looking more like Thomas doesn't want to
> deal with it anymore. Information on development is rare. The old
bug
> registry is untouched. ADOM Deluxe is sitting on a shelf somewhere
next
> to Duke Nukem Forever.
>
> I really would like development on ADOM to continue, and I would
gladly
> volunteer my time to help; I have already contributed my money. I
don't
> want my negative comments to discourage Thomas, but my negativity is
> reinforced by his, and this group's, silence. There is something
very
> special about ADOM that is worth sustaining. I don't want to waste
my
> days playing Nethack-alikes; I want a new version of ADOM!

FWIW, I just downloaded two games that look fairly promising: The
Legend of Saladir, and the trial version of a commerical game called
Unreal World. Anyone else played these? Opinions?

--T.J.

T.J. Swoboda wrote:
> Mike Meehan wrote:
<snip>
> > I really would like development on ADOM to continue, and I would
> > gladly volunteer my time to help; I have already contributed my
> > money. I don't want my negative comments to discourage Thomas,
> > but my negativity is reinforced by his, and this group's, silence.
> > There is something very special about ADOM that is worth
> > sustaining. I don't want to waste my days playing Nethack-alikes; I
> > want a new version of ADOM!
>
> FWIW, I just downloaded two games that look fairly promising: The
> Legend of Saladir, and the trial version of a commerical game called
> Unreal World. Anyone else played these? Opinions?
>
> --T.J.

I don't believe Saladir to be in development anymore. Or, are you
interested in the code diving of it? I really liked Saladir at first -
but - then I started running into strange 'animals' that ruined the
feel of the game. A dull looking chairman?!? I like fantasy-based
roguelikes that limit the use of the 'kitchen sink'. There also
appeared to be no randomly generated floor items.

Unreal World: I was impressed by the trial download, but didn't work
correctly... While I like roguelikes due to the depth (as opposed to
Eye Candy), UW seemed to have a *too* much detail...

Mike Meehan wrote:

> rdougher wrote:
>> Batman? wrote:
>>
>>> This Newsgroup has been dead as of late.
>>

>> I rely on this newsgroup for entertainment in the slow times at work.

Me too!

>> I've been reading this newsgroup on and off for about 3 years and
>> I've
>> never seen a lull like this. Come on guys! Have questions!
>>
>> -Ryan

[snip]
> We love this game, but it's looking more like Thomas doesn't want to
> deal with it anymore. Information on development is rare. The old
> bug
> registry is untouched. ADOM Deluxe is sitting on a shelf somewhere
> next to Duke Nukem Forever.
>
> I really would like development on ADOM to continue, and I would
> gladly
> volunteer my time to help; I have already contributed my money. I
> don't want my negative comments to discourage Thomas, but my
> negativity is
> reinforced by his, and this group's, silence. There is something very
> special about ADOM that is worth sustaining. I don't want to waste my
> days playing Nethack-alikes; I want a new version of ADOM!
>
> --Mike

There was a week or two ago a mail from Malte to all adom bug volunteers
stating that TB has a REALLY big pile of work to do and he is moving as
well, so we'll have to wait even longer now.

--
Don't steal; thou'lt never thus compete successfully in business.
Cheat.

rgra bug list http://adombugs.100free.com/

xhoch3 <xhoch3@safe-mail.net> wrote:
> Mike Meehan wrote:

> There was a week or two ago a mail from Malte to all adom bug volunteers
> stating that TB has a REALLY big pile of work to do and he is moving as
> well, so we'll have to wait even longer now.

There was? A wee or two ago? Hmmm... :(

Przemyslaw Brojewski wrote:
> xhoch3 <xhoch3@safe-mail.net> wrote:
>
>>Mike Meehan wrote:
>

>>There was a week or two ago a mail from Malte to all adom bug volunteers
>>stating that TB has a REALLY big pile of work to do and he is moving as
>>well, so we'll have to wait even longer now.
>
> There was? A wee or two ago? Hmmm... :(

Three weeks ago, sent 18th of April, 14:42. You are on the list of
recipients, and it did not bounce. E-mail me if you haven't received it.

Malte