1. What is your budget?
looking to stay around or under $2,000
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I have a 17.3 toshiba qosmio at the moment and its dead in less than 2 years. So i would be open to a 15.6 if need be
3. What screen resolution do you want?
I'd prefer to get the best available resolution available. 1900 x 800 if possible or more
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I have an ASUS desktop that is about 2 years old now still runs okay for my needs. I would like a suitable setup in a laptop though for certain
5. How much battery life do you need?
Battery would love to get 4 hours or more running office and powerpoint at graduate school since class lasts at least that long.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I haven't ever been a big gameer I can't recall the last time I even played the Xbox, but I would like decent card for video editing and movie playback when traveling.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Yes photo video editing, watching movies - even blu ray if possible, finances and a bit of a home business as well as for grad school projects.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
havent ever used up a 250 gig HD yet but i now that is small in comparison now days so I am open to more.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I have looked at newegg, dell, toshiba, bought my last one from bestbuy
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years if it lasts that long. I use it extensively and they seem to burn out quicker than I'd like them too.
11. What kind of Optical drive
do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I would like a DVD RW and is possible Blu Ray as well as all my netflix movies are now coming in blu ray but not a deal killer
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I liked Toshiba but feel it died pretty early in life for the price i paid for it. I havent ever had good luck with anything from HP.
I have owned a few Dell and they have been solid but are overpriced. I love my ASUS desktop, Havent heard much about Lenovo and MSI and ACER and the other brands newegg carries. I would like something that is reliable if that is a particular brand then lead me that direction. SOny I have heard both good and bad about as well.
I have so far looked at the Dell Vostro and Lattitude and the Toshiba Sattelie series and the ASUS G series
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I am looking to purchase and have it delivered ASAP as I have a huge thesis due in early December and have lost quite alot of data due to the Toshiba black screening and locking up and having to force shutdown and lose all my work to that point is really frustrating.
It must be able to easily connect to Wireless lan and not drop off connectioin once established since I have to use the wireless internet at school. I am not a huge fan of the touch pad that depresses and doesnt have seprate left and right buttons underneath it I saw that yesterday on the macbook air and I'm not sure I'd like that. It would take some getting used to for sure.
I hope this can help people to better find their ideal notebook.
I think this is a very informative questionare that hits all the key components so to avoid a pitfall purchase. Thanks for the great template.
Additionally... you should also consider what support options are available in your area. If say you buy something abroad, will you be able to have it fixed near where you live? Does the warranty apply? How quickly do local accredited technicians fix laptops?
Thanks for your time I appreciate you helping me make a more informed decision than I could on my own.