The influence of D&D utility software on your game

Last response: in Video Games
June 6, 2004 1:20:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 7:05:18 AM

Ubiquitous wrote:

>How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
>We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
>game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

I use a couple of different freeware programs to set up adventures.
That and the SRD have become invaluable to me as a GM. I can whip up an
adventure in under an hour with full creature stats, treasure and decent
thumb nail ideas of NPC's easily. I rarely crack a book now when
planning an adventure. I don't own any of the more complex programs
because of cost and system requirements. But I would if money were no
object.

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Ubiquitous startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following words of
wisdom

> How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
> We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
> game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

It makes me deeply morose, but no more so than Usenet.

--
Rob Singers
"All your Ron are belong to us"

"Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote in message
| How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
| We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
| game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

I use no programs for my game except WinAmp to play mood music during the
sessions.

--
Tarrax Ironwolf
psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com

---
June 6, 2004 12:06:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

"Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote in message
> How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
> We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
> game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

I use Core Rules 2 quite a bit. It's added quite a lot to my game over the
years.
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 12:15:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> writes
>How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
>We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
>game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

Absolutely no influence whatsoever. I've yet to find a piece of D&D
software that (a) does what I want it to, and/or (b) isn't too
cumbersome or slow to be worthwhile using.

--
Ian R Malcomson
Anonymous

Ubiquitous wrote:
> How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
> We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
> game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

Haven't been using any programs for a long long time, the only program I have
used is FREncG, which keept track of time and random encounters for me, but
haven't had time to port it to linux nor have I tested to see if it works
under MorphOS, but it does work under AmigaOS.
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 2:31:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

I use Core Rules Exp all the time for generating unplanned encounters and
for creating levelled monster enemies. Other than that there are a few guys
who use Palm based dice systems and that is it.

peace,
Frank

"Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote in message
> How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
> We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
> game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

> ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

Anonymous
June 6, 2004 2:45:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

I use PCGen and it has been very usefull :)

Ubiquitous wrote:
> How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
> We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
> game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

Anonymous
June 6, 2004 3:25:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

"Ubiquitous" schrieb
> How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
> We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
> game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

I'm using DM's Familiar and Weathermaster. The Familiar has been incredibly
useful, and I haven't even begun using its full range of capabilities. The
combat board alone is worth it and has enabled me to do combats with 30 or
more participants without difficulty.
The weathermaster is fun , too, if you like realistic weather patterns.

Markus
June 6, 2004 9:28:35 PM

"Chris Simpson" <Chriss@mho.com> wrote in message
> I use PCGen and it has been very usefull :)
>
> Ubiquitous wrote:
> > How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
> > We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
> > game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

Yes, it is great to be able to hand a copy of you PC to the GM if the GM
asks for it.
And to be able to replace the FUBARed character sheet (pizza).
Having a copy of your lower level PC for raise Dead is good too.
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 10:24:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Ubiquitous wrote:

>How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
>We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
>game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

I'm DM'ing with a laptop and have quite a bit of useful tools and
software installed.
Core Rules 2, TableSmith, CampaignSage, WeatherMaster, CC2 and Ebon are
those that I find to be most useful and which speed up gameplay immensely.

Clarence
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 11:04:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

"Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote in message
> How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
> We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
> game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

I have used PCGen and RPM and now am using Campaign Suite by Twin Rose
software. I am using it mostly because it supports the campaign world I am
now playing in (Midnight). My D20 Modern campaign is, for all intents and
purposes, over. I have returned to D&D, though Midnight uses some
modifications (some different core classes, etc.). I found RPM worked
pretty well for D20 Modern, but does not support Midnight too well.

DM
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 3:39:05 PM

weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message news:<kZ-dnW97bL8a4l_dRVn_iw@comcast.com>...
> How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
> We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
> game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

I use tablesmith. Pretty good randomizer, and I love random stuff.

--
@ @ Nockermensch, a random guy
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 08:15:44 +0100, Ian R Malcomson
<ian@domicus.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> writes
>>How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
>>We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
>>game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.
>
>Absolutely no influence whatsoever. I've yet to find a piece of D&D
>software that (a) does what I want it to, and/or (b) isn't too
>cumbersome or slow to be worthwhile using.

That was how I felt when I was running; all I used was a word
processor.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 12:33:03 AM

In rec.games.frp.dnd, Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
> How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
> We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
> game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

since i'm a programmer, i'm never happy with other people's code, and
write an awful lot of my own tools. mostly random generators and the
like. some of which are on my website. but combat uses DICE, damnit.

--
___ ._.
| ._|---.---.---.-| | drow@visi.com <http://www.visi.com/~drow/&gt;
| ._| . | _ | ._| _ | ---------------------------------------------------
|_| |_|_|___|_| |___| Fnord is the echo of silence.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 5:29:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 21:20:55 -0500, weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
carved upon a tablet of ether:

> How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
> We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
> game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

I've tried various chargen spreadsheets and utilities, including PCGen
and none of them are really satisfactory for my needs. The same goes
for every other utility I've tried. I find I do better doing chargen
on paper and writing the final result up on a wordprocessor. The same
applies to new critters, game notes, & etc. For maps I do any
world-building on paper or with a spreadsheet made up as I go along
(if I need stats for land area, etc.), then I rough out a draft on
paper, and then I do a 'good' copy on paper. If I need an electronic
copy of a map I get better results scanning a hardcopy than I do with
any piece of software I've tried.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Out from under a rock popped Rupert Boleyn and said

> I've tried various chargen spreadsheets and utilities, including PCGen
> and none of them are really satisfactory for my needs. The same goes
> for every other utility I've tried. I find I do better doing chargen
> on paper and writing the final result up on a wordprocessor.

I found that PCGen took a long time to use *well*.

--
Rob Singers
"All your Ron are belong to us"

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

On 8 Jun 2004 03:47:58 GMT, Robert Singers
<rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Out from under a rock popped Rupert Boleyn and said
>
> > I've tried various chargen spreadsheets and utilities, including PCGen
> > and none of them are really satisfactory for my needs. The same goes
> > for every other utility I've tried. I find I do better doing chargen
> > on paper and writing the final result up on a wordprocessor.
>
> I found that PCGen took a long time to use *well*.

For some reason the custom item creation part of it broke a while
back, and will not function for me. Re-installation didn't help. This
makes it effectively useless for comprehensive design and write ups of
characters higher than about 3rd level.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 7:04:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

> Ubiquitous wrote:
>> How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns? We've
>> recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
>> game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

I used to have all my characters on an excel file, and made a new level a new sheet, so I
would have a record of progression of my character. Pretty anal, but it was interesting to
see how I made it up through the ranks, or what different sub-characters did. Now I'm
working on a filemaker pro program to do so as well, but just a template, as I haven't
found a gaming group yet.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
-till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

No one mentioned using anything for map generation yet?

It's not released yet, but I am looking at Dundjinni
http://www.dundjinni.com/products/index.htm
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
-till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>
consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com ((remove the INVALID to email))
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 8:25:20 PM

CARRIER LOST wrote:
> since i'm a programmer, i'm never happy with other people's code, and
> write an awful lot of my own tools. mostly random generators and the
> like. some of which are on my website. but combat uses DICE, damnit.

You ever play the computer version of Monopoly, came out in the 80's. One thing I loved
about the game was that they had a pair of dice 'rolling' on the screen, and had a cool
sound effect for it. *nocka nocka nocka* :)
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
-till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>
consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com ((remove the INVALID to email))
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 4:48:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:06:59 -0700, ~consul
<consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote:

>No one mentioned using anything for map generation yet?

I didn't think about it; I did indeed use Campaign Cartographer I.
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 5:00:58 AM

"Wayne Shaw" <shaw@caprica.com> wrote in message
| On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:06:59 -0700, ~consul
| <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote:
|
| >No one mentioned using anything for map generation yet?
|
| I didn't think about it; I did indeed use Campaign Cartographer I.

While I have the CC2, CD2, and DD2, I have yet to use the products at this
time... What am I waiting for? Not a clue. I just haven't gotten around to
using them yet. But sometime soon though.

--
Tarrax Ironwolf
psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an
elf." -- Homer Simpson

---
June 10, 2004 8:26:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:00:58 GMT, "Tarrax Ironwolf"
<psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com> wrote:

>"Wayne Shaw" <shaw@caprica.com> wrote in message
>| On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:06:59 -0700, ~consul
>| <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote:
>|
>| >No one mentioned using anything for map generation yet?
>|
>| I didn't think about it; I did indeed use Campaign Cartographer I.
>
>While I have the CC2, CD2, and DD2, I have yet to use the products at this
>time... What am I waiting for? Not a clue. I just haven't gotten around to
>using them yet. But sometime soon though.

I found CC1 had a bit of a learning curve, but once I got used to it
it allowed me to make _much_ better maps (particularly outdoor maps)
than I could by myself, and at a reasonable pace.
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 9:07:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

In article <Euxwc.5947$Pk.5866@newssvr32.news.prodigy.com>,
psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com wrote:
>"Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote in message

>| How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
>| We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
>| game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.
>
>I use no programs for my game except WinAmp to play mood music during the
>sessions.

I never understood the need to play "mood music" during a game.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 9:09:58 AM

In article <ca81i3$8g0$4@gist.usc.edu>, consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com wrote:
>> Ubiquitous wrote:

>>> How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns? We've
>>> recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
>>> game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.
>
>I used to have all my characters on an excel file, and made a new level a new
>sheet, so I would have a record of progression of my character. Pretty anal,
>but it was interesting to see how I made it up through the ranks, or what
>different sub-characters did. Now I'm working on a filemaker pro program to
>do so as well, but just a template, as I haven't found a gaming group yet.

Ahhh, you must be using Bob's Spreadsheet ™. I have several 3E characters
in multi-page workbooks using that. Unfortunately, he quit updating it about
a year or so after 3E came out, IIRC.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 9:12:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

In article <ca81m4$8g0$5@gist.usc.edu>, consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com
wrote:

>No one mentioned using anything for map generation yet?

Campaign Cartographer is an oldie but goodie, or so I am told.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 3:09:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Ubiquitous startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following words of
wisdom

>>I found that PCGen took a long time to use *well*.
>
> And required constant tinkering to make work.

No.

--
Rob Singers
"All your Ron are belong to us"

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 11:09:54 GMT, Robert Singers
<rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Ubiquitous startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following words of
> wisdom
>
> >>I found that PCGen took a long time to use *well*.
> >
> > And required constant tinkering to make work.
>
> No.

So, try and get rid of that -5 for Ride that your character has for
not having a saddle.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 3:37:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Out from under a rock popped Rupert Boleyn and said

> Robert Singers carved upon a tablet of ether:
>
>> Ubiquitous startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following words
>> of wisdom

>> > And required constant tinkering to make work.
>>
>> No.
>
> So, try and get rid of that -5 for Ride that your character has for
> not having a saddle.

The subject of my sentence was PCGen. Ubi didn't change the subject.
You've changed it to my character not PCGen.

And who the hell stole my saddle. Bet it was Sinner.

--
Rob Singers
"All your Ron are belong to us"
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 8:46:17 PM

| In article <Euxwc.5947$Pk.5866@newssvr32.news.prodigy.com>,
| psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com wrote:
| >"Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote in message
|
| >| How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
| >| We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
| >| game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.
| >
| >I use no programs for my game except WinAmp to play mood music during
the
| >sessions.
|
| I never understood the need to play "mood music" during a game.

For the same reason why their is music in movies... We use combat music
during combat, appropriate music for towns, castles, churches, etc... It
just adds to the ambieance created.

--
Tarrax Ironwolf
psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an
elf." -- Homer Simpson

---
June 23, 2004 7:04:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

WE have just started using a utility which shall remain nameless until
I'm convinced it's worth mentioning. It is used mostly for dice
rolling and inpromptu NPC creation, and rule look ups, which have
increased the speed at which I can adjudicate on things. Not to
scruffy so far.......
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 9:00:00 PM

Ubiquitous wrote:
> In article <ca81i3$8g0$4@gist.usc.edu>, consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com wrote:
>>>Ubiquitous wrote:
>>I used to have all my characters on an excel file, and made a new level a new
>>sheet, so I would have a record of progression of my character. Pretty anal,
>>but it was interesting to see how I made it up through the ranks, or what
>>different sub-characters did. Now I'm working on a filemaker pro program to
>>do so as well, but just a template, as I haven't found a gaming group yet.
> Ahhh, you must be using Bob's Spreadsheet ™. I have several 3E characters
> in multi-page workbooks using that. Unfortunately, he quit updating it about
> a year or so after 3E came out, IIRC.

Don't know about the Bob's Spreadsheet, but it was probably similar. Not much you can do
with a spreadsheet. :)
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
-till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>
consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com ((remove the INVALID to email))
July 2, 2004 5:38:45 PM

"~consul" <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in message
> Ubiquitous wrote:
> >>I used to have all my characters on an excel file, and made a new
level a new
> >>sheet, so I would have a record of progression of my character. Pretty
anal,
> >>but it was interesting to see how I made it up through the ranks, or
what
> >>different sub-characters did. Now I'm working on a filemaker pro
program to
> >>do so as well, but just a template, as I haven't found a gaming group
yet.
> > Ahhh, you must be using Bob's Spreadsheet ™. I have several 3E
characters
> > in multi-page workbooks using that. Unfortunately, he quit updating it
about
> > a year or so after 3E came out, IIRC.
>
> Don't know about the Bob's Spreadsheet, but it was probably similar. Not
much you can do
> with a spreadsheet. :)

You can do pretty much anything you need with an Excel spreadsheet if you
use VBA.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 5:38:46 PM

JB wrote:
> "~consul" <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in message
>>Don't know about the Bob's Spreadsheet, but it was probably similar. Not much you can do
>>with a spreadsheet. :)
> You can do pretty much anything you need with an Excel spreadsheet if you
> use VBA.

I wasn't knocking Excel, I was just saying I exhausted all the various 'looks' of what a
spreadsheet can look like. The calcs is the easy part.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
-till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>
consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com ((remove the INVALID to email))
July 2, 2004 10:17:12 PM

~consul wrote:

> JB wrote:
>
>> "~consul" <consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Don't know about the Bob's Spreadsheet, but it was probably similar.
>>> Not much you can do
>>> with a spreadsheet. :)
>>
>> You can do pretty much anything you need with an Excel spreadsheet if you
>> use VBA.
>

> I wasn't knocking Excel

Don't worry I'm not Bill Gates!

> I was just saying I exhausted all the various
> 'looks' of what a spreadsheet can look like. The calcs is the easy part.

Ah artistic merit. Wouldn't know anything about that.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 12:45:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

After using CC2 for about a week I suddenly found myself going back to
pencil and paper. I am a hundred times faster with a pencil than CC2 ever
dreamed of being.
> In article <ca81m4$8g0$5@gist.usc.edu>, consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com
> wrote:
>
> >No one mentioned using anything for map generation yet?
>
> Campaign Cartographer is an oldie but goodie, or so I am told.

> ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 3:24:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Mere moments before death, Johnfp hastily scrawled:
>After using CC2 for about a week I suddenly found myself going back to
>pencil and paper. I am a hundred times faster with a pencil than CC2 ever
>dreamed of being.

But are you as good as CC2?

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 2:28:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

In article <kZ-dnW97bL8a4l_dRVn_iw@comcast.com>, weberm@polaris.net
wrote:

>How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
>We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
>game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.

I have been out of the role playing games for the last 12 years or
so busy working and raising kids. My wife and I now have a little
time and we have started a campaign of sorts in the Greyhawk
setting. I have a group of six that play and we started in the Forge
of Fury module. I read the return to the temple of elemental evil
and thought that would be fun also! In the forge of fury, there is a
room that has some fungus in it. I won't eloborate so I don't spoil
it for anyone. However, I used the fungus as a means of transporting
some of Zuggtmoy's essense into one of the PC's as a means of a hook
for them to head over to Hommlet and start the adventure.

I bought DMGenie when I started the RttTEE adventure and it has been
a real gem! Worth every penny! I, having more money than time, am
always on the look out for time saving devices for my game. I don't
have the time or smarts to script but as a lurker I would be more
than willing to compensate people that do take the time to transpose
the modules or books into DMGenie format.

I noticed a LOT of people use the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.
It was just coming out when we got out of role playing. Is there
more background information on the FR than on Greyhawk? Greyhawk
seems to have enough background info for me to build my world, and
with the living greyhawk at conventions, I thought this would be the
way to go. What are your thoughts?

Please enlighten someone that has been out of touch for the last 10-
15 years.

Andy
slave to campaigns.
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 5:03:02 AM

aboyce5215 wrote:

> I noticed a LOT of people use the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.
> It was just coming out when we got out of role playing. Is there
> more background information on the FR than on Greyhawk? Greyhawk
> seems to have enough background info for me to build my world, and
> with the living greyhawk at conventions, I thought this would be the
> way to go. What are your thoughts?

Greyhawk is (to the consternation and rage of petulant fans, at least on the
Wizards of the Coast webfora) not supported by product releases. The Third
Edition core rules, as you probably realise, use a thin layer of
Greyhawk-specific information (spell names and deities, mostly), but as you
correctly surmise most of the Greyhawk information available comes from the
Living Greyhawk campaigns.

The Forgotten Realms, on the other hand, have a very large Third Edition product
range - over a dozen supplements ranging from a campaign setting corebook (and a
"Player's Guide" which updates for revised Third Edition) to information on
magic, deities, evil organisations, monsters, et cetera, to adventures like
"City of the Spider Queen", to area sourcebooks like "Silver Marches" and
"Unapproachable East".

The Forgotten Realms setting is criticised by many for having "too much" magic,
items, high-level NPCs, whereas Greyhawk has a more moderate reputation. The
real advantage of FR is that Wizards support it with products; Greyhawk works
through the awkward auspices of LG.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nath Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

You're not a bad person. You're a terrific person. You're my favorite person.
But every once in a while you just can be a real cunt.
- Bill
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:55:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

In article <tnZBc.235$e71.54@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com wrote:
>"Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

>| I never understood the need to play "mood music" during a game.
>
>For the same reason why their is music in movies... We use combat music
>during combat, appropriate music for towns, castles, churches, etc... It
>just adds to the ambieance created.

I find it only serves as a distraction in the times I've seen it used.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:56:44 PM

In article <cbsvq6$juu$1@gist.usc.edu>, consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com wrote:
>Ubiquitous wrote:

>> Ahhh, you must be using Bob's Spreadsheet ™. I have several 3E characters
>> in multi-page workbooks using that. Unfortunately, he quit updating it about
>> a year or so after 3E came out, IIRC.
>
> Don't know about the Bob's Spreadsheet, but it was probably similar. Not much
> you can do with a spreadsheet. :)

You'd be surprised at how much this one did. :-)

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 7:06:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Mere moments before death, Wayne Shaw hastily scrawled:

>Maybe you should do the same. The person said he was _faster_ with a
>pencil; he in no way indicated the maps he made that way were of the
>same or better quality.

Explaining English to Ubi is like explaining the Unsenet to a dog.

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 12:03:31 AM

In article <2igus4FmmvlfU1@uni-berlin.de>, SirClarence@eudoramail.com wrote:
>Ubiquitous wrote:

>>How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
>>We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
>>game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.
>
>I'm DM'ing with a laptop and have quite a bit of useful tools and
>software installed.
>Core Rules 2, TableSmith, CampaignSage, WeatherMaster, CC2 and Ebon are
>those that I find to be most useful and which speed up gameplay immensely.

My group isn't quite that far along yet, but we are slowly drifting
towards that point. I guess I'm going to need to find some extension
cords at some point...

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 9:36:57 AM

Ubiquitous wrote:
> In article <2igus4FmmvlfU1@uni-berlin.de>, SirClarence@eudoramail.com wrote:
>
>>Ubiquitous wrote:
>

>>>How influencial are D&D campaign software in your campaigns?
>>>We've recently begun using DM Genie to run all aspects of our
>>>game and am curious about how deeply it has affected others.
>>
>>I'm DM'ing with a laptop and have quite a bit of useful tools and
>>software installed.
>>Core Rules 2, TableSmith, CampaignSage, WeatherMaster, CC2 and Ebon are
>>those that I find to be most useful and which speed up gameplay immensely.
>

> My group isn't quite that far along yet, but we are slowly drifting
> towards that point. I guess I'm going to need to find some extension
> cords at some point...

I don't think my groups would get any software at all, maybe for we lack
laptops and there aren't much for linux when it comes to thi kind of software.

//Aho
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 11:43:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <2r9lt6F17693rU1@uni-berlin.de>, user@example.net wrote:
>Ubiquitous wrote:

>> My group isn't quite that far along yet, but we are slowly drifting
>> towards that point. I guess I'm going to need to find some extension
>> cords at some point...
>
>I don't think my groups would get any software at all, maybe for we lack
>laptops and there aren't much for LINUX when it comes to thi kind of software.

Isn't there a version of DNgenie for LINUX?

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 9:53:04 AM

Ubiquitous wrote:
> In article <2r9lt6F17693rU1@uni-berlin.de>, user@example.net wrote:
>
>>Ubiquitous wrote:
>

>>>My group isn't quite that far along yet, but we are slowly drifting
>>>towards that point. I guess I'm going to need to find some extension
>>>cords at some point...
>>
>>I don't think my groups would get any software at all, maybe for we lack
>>laptops and there aren't much for LINUX when it comes to thi kind of software.
>

> Isn't there a version of DNgenie for LINUX?

pcgen.sourceforge.net

It's written in Java, so should work in all machines that has a JVM, but it's
for a game that I really don't play and gets a bit useless for me.

//Aho
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 1:24:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.frp.dnd-util,alt.games.adnd,rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Excuse me.
I am a new comer for D&D and I am very interested in the utility software
you mentioned. Is it a system ( editor ) that can help me writing down the
idea of my advanturer? My computer is based on Win2000, and where can I
download the toolkit for evaluation?
Thanks a lot.

p.s. I hope that is not like the map-editor of Nerver Winter : )
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 11:16:13 PM

In rec.games.frp.dnd MingChieh <jmj@machvision.com.tw> wrote:

: I am a new comer for D&D and I am very interested in the utility software
: you mentioned. Is it a system ( editor ) that can help me writing down the
: idea of my advanturer? My computer is based on Win2000, and where can I
: download the toolkit for evaluation?
: Thanks a lot.

Yes, DMgenie can be used to store campaigns and help run combat encounters.

http://www.dmgenie.com/
!