Shopping for New Monitor... Need Help.

deejaybos

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I posted a few months ago about needing a new monitor. For a while I put it off because I saw stuff from the CES show and figured, "I'll wait to see what starts hitting the market." Well, I'm starting to get that itch again, but I'm having a hard time finding something.

After getting my tax return, I thought I'd just go all out and get myself the U3011, but the more I think about it, the more I'm realizing that with a monitor like that, my next computer upgrade would also require some major "beefiness", and because there aren't really a lot of 30" monitors available in a lower budget level, I'm bumping back down to my original intentions of a 27".

I've spent a while reading reviews on 27" monitors by ASUS, ViewSonic, LG, Samsung, Dell, HP, Planar, etc. and what I've concluded is that... I can't find one that isn't complained about. Either it doesn't tilt, has ghosting, light bleed, you name it, someone's complaining. I usually buy based on user review and not editors because I usually assume that they'll talk something up because they get incentive from the manufacturer.

I was originally considering an IPS, but that goes back to needing a higher end PC/GPU because of the increased resolution. I'm now willing to settle for a nice 1080 monitor.

I play games (mostly FPS), I watch movies, I don't need 3D, these are my main requirements. I liked some of the ASUS but, I don't necessarily need/want built-in speakers/webcams. Samsung had complaints of wobbly stands... everything had issues.

So I'm back again asking for TH user's opinions on a quality 27" monitor that won't break the bank and doesn't have to have a major GPU to run it at its native resolution.

I don't really have a price point, but I'd say the Dell U2711 at ~$900 would be my max, if I'm spending that much, I mine as well get the IPS.

deejaybos

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

deejaybos

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
After some more research, I'd like to throw in that I would like one of the features to be that it's a 120Hz monitor. This probably really limits my options. So far all I've seen is the Samsung 950D and the ASUS VG series.

Any other help/suggestions are appreciated.

deejaybos

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
OK, even after reading lots of reviews I'm still torn... here's another question I want to ask everybody.

All costs aside, as a computer gamer, which would be better... the 120Hz refresh rate or the IPS?

Apparently either way, I'm going to have to build a new computer, which is something I wanted to do anyway in order to use the monitor to it's abilities. A 120Hz refresh rate or a higher resolution of an IPS panel both require a better video card. So... which way should I go?

I know the Dell IPS (ultrasharps) always get rave reviews, so I were to get an IPS, I'd probably go with theirs. Doesn't seem like there's a lot of 120Hz monitors available, so I like opinions on which would be best in that department. Too bad no one makes a 120Hz-IPS panel yet.