In the Animated Forest, it is possible to cast Burning Hands without
making the trees mad.

I've used fire bolt with a drakish elementalist, without annoying the
buggers. Is there anything in there about killing off the entire
forrest? I've done that a few times, with the same elementalist.
burning hands and fireball pissed the trees off though.

Kafubaruba <kafubaruba@gmail.com> wrote:
> spoily...
> !
> !
> !
> !
> !
> !
> !
> !
> !
> !
> In the Animated Forest, it is possible to cast Burning Hands without
> making the trees mad.

Well, it may be possible that there is some luck involved, but my test
character's just aggravated the forest by casting Burning Hands (Baptism of
Fire, actually, but I really don't think that this makes any difference),
after the first attempt. I don't think that the section in the Guidebook
needs to be changed, to be honest: "One thing to avoid entirely is any kind
of fire magic in the forest. The whole forest becomes hostile." describes
the situation quite appropriately for Burning Hands as well.

Cheers, Gero

--
Gero Kunter (gero.kunter@epost.de)

Some of the information that you've mentioned may be spoily for someone
not too familiar with the animated forest, so I've added some spoiler space.
You might want to have a look at the section on spoily information in the
newsgroup FAQ (http://www.andywlms.com/adom/rgrafaq.html#3).
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
NIm <bladedpenguin@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've used fire bolt with a drakish elementalist, without annoying the
> buggers.

That's interesting, indeed, and corrects my assertion that the wording in
the Guidebook is sufficient.

> Is there anything in there about killing off the entire forrest? I've done
> that a few times, with the same elementalist. burning hands and fireball
> pissed the trees off though.

My test character didn't have a fireball spell ready, so I couldn't test
that source of fire magic. Wands of fireballs, however, also aggravate the
trees, while wands of fire and fire bolts both are capable of burning the
trees without an increased fury.

I agree that this might be worth adding to the Guidebook.

Cheers, Gero

--

Gero Kunter wrote:

> Some of the information that you've mentioned may be spoily for someone
> not too familiar with the animated forest, so I've added some spoiler space.
> You might want to have a look at the section on spoily information in the
> newsgroup FAQ (http://www.andywlms.com/adom/rgrafaq.html#3).

> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .

> NIm wrote:

> > I've used fire bolt with a drakish elementalist, without annoying the
> > buggers.

> That's interesting, indeed, and corrects my assertion that the wording in
> the Guidebook is sufficient.

> > Is there anything in there about killing off the entire forrest? I've done
> > that a few times, with the same elementalist. burning hands and fireball
> > pissed the trees off though.

> My test character didn't have a fireball spell ready, so I couldn't test
> that source of fire magic. Wands of fireballs, however, also aggravate the
> trees, while wands of fire and fire bolts both are capable of burning the
> trees without an increased fury.

This is a very interesting observation and corrects some long-held
beliefs. I did some testing of my own with a g16p2 wizard and confirm
everything. The fireball spell works the same way.

Thanks, the GB and mirror have been updated.
--
Andy Williams
ADOM Guidebook - http://www.andywlms.com/adom/