The history of the Death Knight

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
to Dragonlance later.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
37 answers Last reply
More about history death knight
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> writes
    >How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    >campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    >to Dragonlance later.

    He did? More originated in DL and moved to Ravenloft...

    --
    Ian R Malcomson
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    No he was from Krynn....
    biquitous wrote:
    > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    > to Dragonlance later.

  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message news:<Q_-dnUXk1eyB7k3dRVn-jw@comcast.com>...
    > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    > to Dragonlance later.

    He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.

    --
    @ @ Nockermensch, now stop asking obvious questions and go back to
    replying to month old threads.

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Ubiquitous wrote:

    > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    > to Dragonlance later.

    Er he did? I coulda sworn I had stats for him in DL well before I got the
    1st Ed Realms box set....

    The first DK reference I had was Fiend Folio but I dont know if my
    personal chronology fits the release chronology.

    Tim
    --
    When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
    ICQ: 5178568

    "Nockermensch" <nockermensch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message
    > > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    > > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    > > to Dragonlance later.
    >
    > He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.

    Dekkion...made a death knight by the big evil dude because...something about
    his family or something. For some reason the name Dekkion is about all I
    remember about the cartoon entirely...I could even be wrong about the name.
    That would pre-date DL...not sure on the FF though.

    Rich
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    In article <4769522f.0406170241.43fac06a@posting.google.com>,
    nockermensch@hotmail.com wrote:
    >weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:

    >> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    >> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    >> to Dragonlance later.
    >
    >He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.

    In which campaign setting is that?

    ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in news:Q_-dnUXk1eyB7k3dRVn-
    jw@comcast.com:

    > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    > to Dragonlance later.

    Soth was created for the Dragonlance chonicles, but, through the setting of
    Raveloft, which is a "brider world" between the many various Worlds
    belonging to TSR, he became a part of Raveloft (because he fits in better
    there.) and as such, can move between the various planes of existence.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:22:40 -0500, in rec.games.frp.dnd
    weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:

    >In article <4769522f.0406170241.43fac06a@posting.google.com>,
    >nockermensch@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:
    >
    >>> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    >>> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    >>> to Dragonlance later.
    >>
    >>He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.
    >
    >In which campaign setting is that?

    It was retrofitted into FR by a comic book (a free promo giveaway
    IIRC), where the characters from the cartoon were still stuck and were
    in their 20s (again, IIRC).

    Bill
    --
    By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually
    get to be boss and work twelve hours a day. - Robert Frost

    weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message news:<MqOdndO27J0NYEzdRVn-jA@comcast.com>...
    > In article <4769522f.0406170241.43fac06a@posting.google.com>,
    > nockermensch@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:
    >
    > >> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    > >> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    > >> to Dragonlance later.
    > >
    > >He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.
    >
    > In which campaign setting is that?

    Saturday Morning Land, where magical bows shot entangling cords and
    the best use for a magical club is to pound the ground to create
    earthquakes.

    --
    @ @ Nockermensch, and where, by some strange reason, Tiamat is
    something akin to the Tarrasque on PMS

    "Eyebyte" <rbrouwer@removethis.rogers.com> wrote in message news:<sfhAc.303699$Ar.131991@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
    > "Nockermensch" <nockermensch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message
    > > > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    > > > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    > > > to Dragonlance later.
    > >
    > > He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.
    >
    > Dekkion...made a death knight by the big evil dude because...something about
    > his family or something. For some reason the name Dekkion is about all I
    > remember about the cartoon entirely...I could even be wrong about the name.
    > That would pre-date DL...not sure on the FF though.

    Dekkion was a Skeletal Warrior, not a Death Knight. He betrayed the
    Celestial Knights, and Venger made him into a Skeletal Warrior. Sad to
    say, I have all the episodes, and I watch them, too. ;-)

    Ralph Glatt

    Member, Old Farts Club
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message news:<MqOdndO27J0NYEzdRVn-jA@comcast.com>...
    > In article <4769522f.0406170241.43fac06a@posting.google.com>,
    > nockermensch@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:
    >
    > >> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    > >> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    > >> to Dragonlance later.
    > >
    > >He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.
    >
    > In which campaign setting is that?

    The cartoon had very little to do with real D&D, unfortunately. None
    of the published settings were used in the cartoon.

    Ralph Glatt

    Member, Old Farts Club
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    Tim Fitzmaurice <tjf11@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<Pine.SOL.3.96.1040617084233.11571E-100000@libra.cus.cam.ac.uk>...
    > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Ubiquitous wrote:
    >
    > > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    > > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    > > to Dragonlance later.
    >
    > Er he did? I coulda sworn I had stats for him in DL well before I got the
    > 1st Ed Realms box set....
    >
    > The first DK reference I had was Fiend Folio but I dont know if my
    > personal chronology fits the release chronology.
    >
    > Tim

    You wouldn't happen to be an Enchanter, would you? ;-)

    First mention of Death Knights was indeed the Fiend Folio, which
    predates both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance.

    Leave it to an old fart to have all the answers. ;-p

    Ralph Glatt

    Member, Old Farts Club
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    "Sean" <SV_So@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in news:Q_-dnUXk1eyB7k3dRVn-
    > jw@comcast.com:
    >
    > > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    > > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    > > to Dragonlance later.
    > >

    > Soth was created for the Dragonlance chonicles, but, through the setting
    of
    > Raveloft, which is a "brider world" between the many various Worlds
    > belonging to TSR, he became a part of Raveloft (because he fits in better
    > there.) and as such, can move between the various planes of existence.

    Can't people in Ravenloft specifically _not_ move between other planes? I
    thought the mists kept anyone entering Ravenloft from leaving under any
    normal (as in, not by using ascension to godhood to remake the form of the
    demiplane itself) circumstances.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    Ralph Glatt startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following words of
    wisdom

    > First mention of Death Knights was indeed the Fiend Folio, which
    > predates both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance.
    >
    > Leave it to an old fart to have all the answers. ;-p

    I had a feeling it was in a early White Dwarf magazine as well but I can't
    be bothered looking.

    --
    Rob Singers
    "All your Ron are belong to us"

    "Justin Hilyard" <rpg@eoni.com> wrote in message

    | "Sean" <SV_So@comcast.net> wrote in message
    | > weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in news:Q_-dnUXk1eyB7k3dRVn-
    | > jw@comcast.com:
    | >
    | > > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    | > > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but
    moved
    | > > to Dragonlance later.
    | > >

    | > Soth was created for the Dragonlance chonicles, but, through the
    setting
    | of
    | > Raveloft, which is a "brider world" between the many various Worlds
    | > belonging to TSR, he became a part of Raveloft (because he fits in
    better
    | > there.) and as such, can move between the various planes of existence.
    |
    | Can't people in Ravenloft specifically _not_ move between other planes?
    | thought the mists kept anyone entering Ravenloft from leaving under any
    | normal (as in, not by using ascension to godhood to remake the form of
    the
    | demiplane itself) circumstances.

    If I recall correctly, Lord Soth has free reign to move back and forth as
    he wishes.

    --
    Tarrax Ironwolf
    psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com

    ---
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns950D65E9E273Arsingers@IP-Hidden>...
    > Ralph Glatt startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following words of
    > wisdom
    >
    > > First mention of Death Knights was indeed the Fiend Folio, which
    > > predates both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance.
    > >
    > > Leave it to an old fart to have all the answers. ;-p
    >
    > I had a feeling it was in a early White Dwarf magazine as well but I can't
    > be bothered looking.

    Ah, might be. I did check the Dragon magazine archives, first mention
    there was in an article about the Fiend Folio.

    Ralph Glatt

    Member, Old Farts Club
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    julian814@hotmail.com (Ralph Glatt) wrote in

    > weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message
    >> In article <4769522f.0406170241.43fac06a@posting.google.com>,
    >> nockermensch@hotmail.com wrote:

    >> >He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.
    >>
    >> In which campaign setting is that?
    >
    > The cartoon had very little to do with real D&D, unfortunately. None
    > of the published settings were used in the cartoon.
    >

    > Ralph Glatt
    >
    > Member, Old Farts Club

    Well when the cartoon was being created, TSR really didn't have that
    many published worlds to choose from ...
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:13:43 -0700, "Justin Hilyard" <rpg@eoni.com>
    wrote:

    >"Sean" <SV_So@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in news:Q_-dnUXk1eyB7k3dRVn-
    >> jw@comcast.com:
    >>
    >> > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    >> > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    >> > to Dragonlance later.
    >> >

    >> Soth was created for the Dragonlance chonicles, but, through the setting
    >of
    >> Raveloft, which is a "brider world" between the many various Worlds
    >> belonging to TSR, he became a part of Raveloft (because he fits in better
    >> there.) and as such, can move between the various planes of existence.
    >
    >Can't people in Ravenloft specifically _not_ move between other planes? I
    >thought the mists kept anyone entering Ravenloft from leaving under any
    >normal (as in, not by using ascension to godhood to remake the form of the
    >demiplane itself) circumstances.

    Yes, but people can move _into_ it rather more easily than they'd
    like.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    On 18 Jun 2004, Ralph Glatt wrote:

    > Tim Fitzmaurice <tjf11@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<Pine.SOL.3.96.1040617084233.11571E-100000@libra.cus.cam.ac.uk>...
    > > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Ubiquitous wrote:
    > > The first DK reference I had was Fiend Folio but I dont know if my
    > > personal chronology fits the release chronology.
    > >
    > > Tim
    >
    > You wouldn't happen to be an Enchanter, would you? ;-)

    No, for merely many people know me as Tim, not some....

    > First mention of Death Knights was indeed the Fiend Folio, which
    > predates both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance.

    Well my sanity level creeps back towards levels where I have not heard of
    Cthulu then :)

    > Leave it to an old fart to have all the answers. ;-p

    Is it all the index cards needed to assist the failing eyes and dodgy
    memory.... :)

    Tim
    --
    When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
    ICQ: 5178568
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    Death Knights in general are first mentioned in the Fiend Folio

    HOWEVER,

    Lord Soth is a creation in Dragonlance, who, for a time, was trapped in
    Ravenloft in his own realm.

    He was then able to leave and then return to Ansalon.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    "Tarrax Ironwolf" <psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com> wrote in

    > If I recall correctly, Lord Soth has free reign to move back and
    > forth as he wishes.

    No. Absolutely not. After a visit in Barovia (Count Strahd von
    Zarovich's domain), he gets his own domain-prison (Sithicus)....
    and....

    ***spoiler below********

    *************

    .......at the end of the second novel pertaining to his (un)life in
    Ravenloft, "Spectre of the Black Rose", he returns to Krynn as Sithicus
    is destroyed!!!!! He is officially back in Dragonlance now.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    MpanaHs <not@valid.com> wrote in news:cbb5gj$149l$1@ulysses.noc.ntua.gr:

    > "Tarrax Ironwolf" <psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com> wrote in
    >

    >> If I recall correctly, Lord Soth has free reign to move back and
    >> forth as he wishes.
    >>

    > No. Absolutely not. After a visit in Barovia (Count Strahd von
    > Zarovich's domain), he gets his own domain-prison (Sithicus)....
    > and....
    >
    > ***spoiler below********

    > *************
    >
    > ......at the end of the second novel pertaining to his (un)life in
    > Ravenloft, "Spectre of the Black Rose", he returns to Krynn as
    Sithicus
    > is destroyed!!!!! He is officially back in Dragonlance now.

    Except that James has a unpublished novel with him back in Ravenloft ...
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    I meet Lort Soth for the first time i a Dragon Lance book, then later He get
    "teleport" to the realms of Ravenloft...
    I have NEVER meet him in the Forgotten Realms

    Brian
    DK

    "Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote in message
    > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    > to Dragonlance later.

    > ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:02:40 +0200, in rec.games.frp.dnd "Brian
    Jensen" <BJ82@jensen.tdcadsl.dk> wrote:

    >I meet Lort Soth for the first time i a Dragon Lance book, then later He get
    >"teleport" to the realms of Ravenloft...
    >I have NEVER meet him in the Forgotten Realms

    I meet him in my back yard for 'smores.

    Bill
    --
    By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually
    get to be boss and work twelve hours a day. - Robert Frost
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    "Wildwood" <wildwood72@pipeline.com.invalid> wrote in message
    | On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:02:40 +0200, in rec.games.frp.dnd "Brian
    | Jensen" <BJ82@jensen.tdcadsl.dk> wrote:
    |
    | >I meet Lort Soth for the first time i a Dragon Lance book, then later He
    get
    | >"teleport" to the realms of Ravenloft...
    | >I have NEVER meet him in the Forgotten Realms
    | >

    | I meet him in my back yard for 'smores.

    Interesting... He came to my house for a fried baloney sandwich. And boy
    does that guy have a thing for baloney.

    --
    Tarrax Ironwolf
    psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com
    "We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an
    elf." -- Homer Simpson

    ---
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    "Ralph Glatt" <julian814@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Eyebyte" <rbrouwer@removethis.rogers.com> wrote in message
    > > "Nockermensch" <nockermensch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.
    > >
    > > Dekkion...made a death knight by the big evil dude because...something
    about
    > > his family or something. For some reason the name Dekkion is about all
    > > remember about the cartoon entirely...I could even be wrong about the
    name.
    > > That would pre-date DL...not sure on the FF though.
    >
    > Dekkion was a Skeletal Warrior, not a Death Knight. He betrayed the
    > Celestial Knights, and Venger made him into a Skeletal Warrior. Sad to
    > say, I have all the episodes, and I watch them, too. ;-)

    damn your lucky. i miss watching the cartoon. wish i could find some.

    > Ralph Glatt
    >
    > Member, Old Farts Club
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    "Texas Rebel" <texas_rebel99@msn.com> wrote in message news:<10e9rvjq6kqjq12@corp.supernews.com>...
    > "Ralph Glatt" <julian814@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Eyebyte" <rbrouwer@removethis.rogers.com> wrote in message
    > > > "Nockermensch" <nockermensch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > moved

    > > > Dekkion...made a death knight by the big evil dude because...something
    > about
    > > > his family or something. For some reason the name Dekkion is about all
    > > > remember about the cartoon entirely...I could even be wrong about the
    > name.
    > > > That would pre-date DL...not sure on the FF though.
    > >
    > > Dekkion was a Skeletal Warrior, not a Death Knight. He betrayed the
    > > Celestial Knights, and Venger made him into a Skeletal Warrior. Sad to
    > > say, I have all the episodes, and I watch them, too. ;-)
    >
    > damn your lucky. i miss watching the cartoon. wish i could find some.

    Well, I can't promise anything, but email me at my hotmail address,
    and I'll see if I can't tape you a copy. Even at EP speed, the
    episodes take up two and a half tapes.

    Ralph Glatt

    Member, Old Farts Club
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    > > damn your lucky. i miss watching the cartoon. wish i could find some.
    >
    > Well, I can't promise anything, but email me at my hotmail address,
    > and I'll see if I can't tape you a copy. Even at EP speed, the
    > episodes take up two and a half tapes.
    >

    > Ralph Glatt
    >
    > Member, Old Farts Club

    IIRC, they have them out on DVD now, I seem to remember seeing either the
    disk, or an advert for them in the video stores.
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    Ok, the scoop on Death Knights is as follows:

    The Death Knight first surfaced in the offices of White Dwarf ca. 1980, when
    it was the UK gaming magazine pretty much exclusive to D&D and later AD&D
    (this is pre-Games Workshop house organ days for White Dwarf).

    The Fiend Folio was a production of TSR UK. It was reviled at the time for
    some really bad monsters and really dark line art (the modrons and the rest
    of those Lawful neutral silly things come from the Fiend Folio and the White
    Dwarf contributors/authors who contributed a lot to TSR UK in those days.)

    But the Fiend Folio had some cool monsters too: The Githyanki, Githzerai,
    Slaad, Bloodhawks, and the Death Knight.

    The Death Knight was exactly that - just a critter. 20 hit die fireball,
    power word kill, cool skeletal knight retainers, etc.. The ultimate in
    power gamer undead monsters - until DragonLance (which got all the cool
    development $$ and art at that time at TSR, being 1984-85) took this cool
    power gamer monster and placed one on Krynn. But they just didn't make it a
    monster - they gave it a name. They turned it into Lord Soth. A monster
    with a name, a background, tragic past and *gasp* motivations.

    This was a big deal in 1985. Not many monsters had been turned in to NPCs
    with backgrounds and motivations prior to that. That sort of treatment was
    for humanoid NPCs - not monsters. Lord Soth's popularity (he was not the
    first "NPCized" monster but he was certainly the first "popular one")
    confirmed a trend at TSR/WotC that has not stopped since - to the betterment
    of the game.

    Lord Soth was a complete hit. He quickly became the favorite villain of most
    gamers and a famous painting by Parkinson created for the DragonLance
    calendar sealed the deal by capturing a Ringwraithy element to Soth and his
    cohort. (Note: the Dragonlance Adventures mod team have spent about 1200
    hours doing horse animations for NWN pretty much because we think this
    painting is so friggin cool).

    Despite the strong Ringwraith overtones, there was still something unique
    about Soth and he never devolved into parody. While he was simply an
    example of a Death Knight, in time he became to be viewed as THE Death
    Knight.

    Soth was moved over to Ravenloft as a marketing gimmick for novel because -
    at the time DL was finally fading and Ravenloft needed all the help it could
    get. And well, Tracy Hickman created Strahd and Lord Soth too so - why not?

    Most DragonLance purists rebelled at the idea and never accepted it. (They
    tried to put Spelljamming ports in Palanthus on Krynn too *boo hiss*).

    Ultimately that didn't work out too well and as people tired of that, WotC
    moved Lord Soth back to Dargaard Keep on Krynn. It turned out to be
    temporarily only.

    In Dragons of a Vanished Moon, the last Weis and Hickman novel set in Krynn,
    after the absence of the Gods and the gathering war of Souls strips Soth of
    his banshees and his retainers for about 30 years, he was finally able to
    stop BROODING and being afraid of his past, afraid of Takhisis and afraid of
    death.

    Takhisis calls upon Lord Soth in the novel through her Chosen One and Soth
    outright refused her. He was then killed (for real) in Dargaard Keep by
    Takhisis as the old rotting beams crashed down upon him. He embraced his
    death willingly and finally escaped his undeath.

    [the end]
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    In article <Xns950D65E9E273Arsingers@IP-Hidden>, rsingers@finger.hotmail.com
    wrote:
    >Ralph Glatt startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following words of
    >wisdom

    >> First mention of Death Knights was indeed the Fiend Folio, which
    >> predates both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance.
    >>
    >> Leave it to an old fart to have all the answers. ;-p
    >
    >I had a feeling it was in a early White Dwarf magazine as well but I can't
    >be bothered looking.

    A lot of the monsters in the FF originated there, but not all of them.

    ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    In article <4769522f.0406170241.43fac06a@posting.google.com>,
    nockermensch@hotmail.com wrote:
    >weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message

    >> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
    >> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
    >> to Dragonlance later.
    >
    >He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.

    There was a Death Knight in that?

    ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

    In article <1rLAc.39$WM2.46476@news.uswest.net>, sidhideach@qwest.net wrote:

    >Ralph has all the Dungeons & Dragons episodes?!? I would be eternally
    >grateful if you could tell me how I might acquire these episodes as well.

    I found some on Kaza. You might also wish to vote for them on Rhino
    Records' "What show do you wish to see on DVD?" poll.

    >I've been playing D&D for 20 years... does this qualify me for the Old Farts
    >Club?

    Only twenty?

    ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    >>Can't people in Ravenloft specifically _not_ move between other planes? I
    >>thought the mists kept anyone entering Ravenloft from leaving under any
    >>normal (as in, not by using ascension to godhood to remake the form of the
    >>demiplane itself) circumstances.

    Is Ravenloft a part of the shadowplane?
    --
    "... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
    -till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

    ~consul wrote:

    > >>Can't people in Ravenloft specifically _not_ move between other planes? I
    > >>thought the mists kept anyone entering Ravenloft from leaving under any
    > >>normal (as in, not by using ascension to godhood to remake the form of the
    > >>demiplane itself) circumstances.
    >
    > Is Ravenloft a part of the shadowplane?

    Ravenloft os found in the Demiplane of Dread, IIRC.

    --
    Gene Poole

    Signature sold separately
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    In article <ceb84g$iul$1@gist.usc.edu>, consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com wrote:

    >>>Can't people in Ravenloft specifically _not_ move between other planes? I
    >>>thought the mists kept anyone entering Ravenloft from leaving under any
    >>>normal (as in, not by using ascension to godhood to remake the form of the
    >>>demiplane itself) circumstances.
    >
    >Is Ravenloft a part of the shadowplane?

    I don't think it is. IIRC, it's a demiplane.

    ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    Gene Poole <poolespam@yahoo.com> wrote in

    >> Is Ravenloft a part of the shadowplane?
    >
    > Ravenloft os found in the Demiplane of Dread, IIRC.

    If you want definitive answers, head over to rasalvatore.com .. in the
    Other Authors section, James Lowder has an ongoing Interactive thread. Ask
    your questions there. When it comes to Lord Soth, he's the man to ask ...
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

    In article <Xns95477172928D5SVSocomcastnet@204.127.204.17>, SV_So@comcast.net
    wrote:
    >Gene Poole <poolespam@yahoo.com> wrote in news:4109BCE9.EC24F7A6@yahoo.com:

    >>> Is Ravenloft a part of the shadowplane?
    >>
    >> Ravenloft os found in the Demiplane of Dread, IIRC.
    >
    >If you want definitive answers, head over to rasalvatore.com .. in the
    >Other Authors section, James Lowder has an ongoing Interactive thread. Ask
    >your questions there. When it comes to Lord Soth, he's the man to ask ...

    Cool.

    ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

Migrate Games Video Games