The history of the Death Knight

Last response: in Video Games
June 16, 2004 3:19:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
to Dragonlance later.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

More about : history death knight

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 10:56:34 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> writes
>How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
>campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
>to Dragonlance later.

He did? More originated in DL and moved to Ravenloft...

--
Ian R Malcomson
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

No he was from Krynn....
biquitous wrote:
> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
> to Dragonlance later.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 7:41:56 AM

weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message news:<Q_-dnUXk1eyB7k3dRVn-jw@comcast.com>...
> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
> to Dragonlance later.

He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.

--
@ @ Nockermensch, now stop asking obvious questions and go back to
replying to month old threads.

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Ubiquitous wrote:

> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
> to Dragonlance later.

Er he did? I coulda sworn I had stats for him in DL well before I got the
1st Ed Realms box set....

The first DK reference I had was Fiend Folio but I dont know if my
personal chronology fits the release chronology.

Tim
--
When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
ICQ: 5178568

"Nockermensch" <nockermensch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message
> > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
> > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
> > to Dragonlance later.
>
> He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.

Dekkion...made a death knight by the big evil dude because...something about
his family or something. For some reason the name Dekkion is about all I
remember about the cartoon entirely...I could even be wrong about the name.
That would pre-date DL...not sure on the FF though.

Rich
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 7:22:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

In article <4769522f.0406170241.43fac06a@posting.google.com>,
nockermensch@hotmail.com wrote:
>weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:

>> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
>> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
>> to Dragonlance later.
>
>He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.

In which campaign setting is that?

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
June 18, 2004 1:32:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in news:Q_-dnUXk1eyB7k3dRVn-
jw@comcast.com:

> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
> to Dragonlance later.

Soth was created for the Dragonlance chonicles, but, through the setting of
Raveloft, which is a "brider world" between the many various Worlds
belonging to TSR, he became a part of Raveloft (because he fits in better
there.) and as such, can move between the various planes of existence.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 7:10:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:22:40 -0500, in rec.games.frp.dnd
weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:

>In article <4769522f.0406170241.43fac06a@posting.google.com>,
>nockermensch@hotmail.com wrote:
>>weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:
>
>>> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
>>> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
>>> to Dragonlance later.
>>
>>He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.
>
>In which campaign setting is that?

It was retrofitted into FR by a comic book (a free promo giveaway
IIRC), where the characters from the cartoon were still stuck and were
in their 20s (again, IIRC).

Bill
--
By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually
get to be boss and work twelve hours a day. - Robert Frost

weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message news:<MqOdndO27J0NYEzdRVn-jA@comcast.com>...
> In article <4769522f.0406170241.43fac06a@posting.google.com>,
> nockermensch@hotmail.com wrote:
> >weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:
>
> >> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
> >> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
> >> to Dragonlance later.
> >
> >He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.
>
> In which campaign setting is that?

Saturday Morning Land, where magical bows shot entangling cords and
the best use for a magical club is to pound the ground to create
earthquakes.

--
@ @ Nockermensch, and where, by some strange reason, Tiamat is
something akin to the Tarrasque on PMS

"Eyebyte" <rbrouwer@removethis.rogers.com> wrote in message news:<sfhAc.303699$Ar.131991@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> "Nockermensch" <nockermensch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message
> > > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
> > > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
> > > to Dragonlance later.
> >
> > He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.
>
> Dekkion...made a death knight by the big evil dude because...something about
> his family or something. For some reason the name Dekkion is about all I
> remember about the cartoon entirely...I could even be wrong about the name.
> That would pre-date DL...not sure on the FF though.

Dekkion was a Skeletal Warrior, not a Death Knight. He betrayed the
Celestial Knights, and Venger made him into a Skeletal Warrior. Sad to
say, I have all the episodes, and I watch them, too. ;-)

Ralph Glatt

Member, Old Farts Club
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 1:50:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message news:<MqOdndO27J0NYEzdRVn-jA@comcast.com>...
> In article <4769522f.0406170241.43fac06a@posting.google.com>,
> nockermensch@hotmail.com wrote:
> >weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote:
>
> >> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
> >> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
> >> to Dragonlance later.
> >
> >He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.
>
> In which campaign setting is that?

The cartoon had very little to do with real D&D, unfortunately. None
of the published settings were used in the cartoon.

Ralph Glatt

Member, Old Farts Club
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 1:52:33 PM

Tim Fitzmaurice <tjf11@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<Pine.SOL.3.96.1040617084233.11571E-100000@libra.cus.cam.ac.uk>...
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
> > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
> > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
> > to Dragonlance later.
>
> Er he did? I coulda sworn I had stats for him in DL well before I got the
> 1st Ed Realms box set....
>
> The first DK reference I had was Fiend Folio but I dont know if my
> personal chronology fits the release chronology.
>
> Tim

You wouldn't happen to be an Enchanter, would you? ;-)

First mention of Death Knights was indeed the Fiend Folio, which
predates both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance.

Leave it to an old fart to have all the answers. ;-p

Ralph Glatt

Member, Old Farts Club
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 9:13:43 PM

"Sean" <SV_So@comcast.net> wrote in message
> weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in news:Q_-dnUXk1eyB7k3dRVn-
> jw@comcast.com:
>
> > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
> > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
> > to Dragonlance later.
> >

> Soth was created for the Dragonlance chonicles, but, through the setting
of
> Raveloft, which is a "brider world" between the many various Worlds
> belonging to TSR, he became a part of Raveloft (because he fits in better
> there.) and as such, can move between the various planes of existence.

Can't people in Ravenloft specifically _not_ move between other planes? I
thought the mists kept anyone entering Ravenloft from leaving under any
normal (as in, not by using ascension to godhood to remake the form of the
demiplane itself) circumstances.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 2:01:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

Ralph Glatt startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following words of
wisdom

> First mention of Death Knights was indeed the Fiend Folio, which
> predates both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance.
>
> Leave it to an old fart to have all the answers. ;-p

I had a feeling it was in a early White Dwarf magazine as well but I can't
be bothered looking.

--
Rob Singers
"All your Ron are belong to us"

"Justin Hilyard" <rpg@eoni.com> wrote in message

| "Sean" <SV_So@comcast.net> wrote in message
| > weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in news:Q_-dnUXk1eyB7k3dRVn-
| > jw@comcast.com:
| >
| > > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
| > > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but
moved
| > > to Dragonlance later.
| > >

| > Soth was created for the Dragonlance chonicles, but, through the
setting
| of
| > Raveloft, which is a "brider world" between the many various Worlds
| > belonging to TSR, he became a part of Raveloft (because he fits in
better
| > there.) and as such, can move between the various planes of existence.
|
| Can't people in Ravenloft specifically _not_ move between other planes?
| thought the mists kept anyone entering Ravenloft from leaving under any
| normal (as in, not by using ascension to godhood to remake the form of
the
| demiplane itself) circumstances.

If I recall correctly, Lord Soth has free reign to move back and forth as
he wishes.

--
Tarrax Ironwolf
psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com

---
June 19, 2004 10:46:57 AM

Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns950D65E9E273Arsingers@IP-Hidden>...
> Ralph Glatt startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following words of
> wisdom
>
> > First mention of Death Knights was indeed the Fiend Folio, which
> > predates both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance.
> >
> > Leave it to an old fart to have all the answers. ;-p
>
> I had a feeling it was in a early White Dwarf magazine as well but I can't
> be bothered looking.

Ah, might be. I did check the Dragon magazine archives, first mention
there was in an article about the Fiend Folio.

Ralph Glatt

Member, Old Farts Club
June 19, 2004 7:22:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

julian814@hotmail.com (Ralph Glatt) wrote in

> weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message
>> In article <4769522f.0406170241.43fac06a@posting.google.com>,
>> nockermensch@hotmail.com wrote:

>> >He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.
>>
>> In which campaign setting is that?
>
> The cartoon had very little to do with real D&D, unfortunately. None
> of the published settings were used in the cartoon.
>

> Ralph Glatt
>
> Member, Old Farts Club

Well when the cartoon was being created, TSR really didn't have that
many published worlds to choose from ...
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 11:09:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:13:43 -0700, "Justin Hilyard" <rpg@eoni.com>
wrote:

>"Sean" <SV_So@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in news:Q_-dnUXk1eyB7k3dRVn-
>> jw@comcast.com:
>>
>> > How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
>> > campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
>> > to Dragonlance later.
>> >

>> Soth was created for the Dragonlance chonicles, but, through the setting
>of
>> Raveloft, which is a "brider world" between the many various Worlds
>> belonging to TSR, he became a part of Raveloft (because he fits in better
>> there.) and as such, can move between the various planes of existence.
>
>Can't people in Ravenloft specifically _not_ move between other planes? I
>thought the mists kept anyone entering Ravenloft from leaving under any
>normal (as in, not by using ascension to godhood to remake the form of the
>demiplane itself) circumstances.

Yes, but people can move _into_ it rather more easily than they'd
like.
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 10:42:34 PM

On 18 Jun 2004, Ralph Glatt wrote:

> Tim Fitzmaurice <tjf11@cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<Pine.SOL.3.96.1040617084233.11571E-100000@libra.cus.cam.ac.uk>...
> > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Ubiquitous wrote:
> > The first DK reference I had was Fiend Folio but I dont know if my
> > personal chronology fits the release chronology.
> >
> > Tim
>
> You wouldn't happen to be an Enchanter, would you? ;-)

No, for merely many people know me as Tim, not some....

> First mention of Death Knights was indeed the Fiend Folio, which
> predates both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance.

Well my sanity level creeps back towards levels where I have not heard of
Cthulu then :)

> Leave it to an old fart to have all the answers. ;-p

Is it all the index cards needed to assist the failing eyes and dodgy
memory.... :)

Tim
--
When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
ICQ: 5178568
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 2:00:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

Death Knights in general are first mentioned in the Fiend Folio

HOWEVER,

Lord Soth is a creation in Dragonlance, who, for a time, was trapped in
Ravenloft in his own realm.

He was then able to leave and then return to Ansalon.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 9:47:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

"Tarrax Ironwolf" <psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com> wrote in
news:D ePAc.25710$eH1.12029122@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

> If I recall correctly, Lord Soth has free reign to move back and
> forth as he wishes.

No. Absolutely not. After a visit in Barovia (Count Strahd von
Zarovich's domain), he gets his own domain-prison (Sithicus)....
and....

***spoiler below********

*************

.......at the end of the second novel pertaining to his (un)life in
Ravenloft, "Spectre of the Black Rose", he returns to Krynn as Sithicus
is destroyed!!!!! He is officially back in Dragonlance now.
June 23, 2004 6:16:00 PM

MpanaHs <not@valid.com> wrote in news:cbb5gj$149l$1@ulysses.noc.ntua.gr:

> "Tarrax Ironwolf" <psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com> wrote in
> news:D ePAc.25710$eH1.12029122@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:
>

>> If I recall correctly, Lord Soth has free reign to move back and
>> forth as he wishes.
>>

> No. Absolutely not. After a visit in Barovia (Count Strahd von
> Zarovich's domain), he gets his own domain-prison (Sithicus)....
> and....
>
> ***spoiler below********

> *************
>
> ......at the end of the second novel pertaining to his (un)life in
> Ravenloft, "Spectre of the Black Rose", he returns to Krynn as
Sithicus
> is destroyed!!!!! He is officially back in Dragonlance now.

Except that James has a unpublished novel with him back in Ravenloft ...
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 2:02:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

I meet Lort Soth for the first time i a Dragon Lance book, then later He get
"teleport" to the realms of Ravenloft...
I have NEVER meet him in the Forgotten Realms

Brian
DK

"Ubiquitous" <weberm@polaris.net> wrote in message
> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
> to Dragonlance later.

> ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.

Anonymous
June 26, 2004 2:02:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:02:40 +0200, in rec.games.frp.dnd "Brian
Jensen" <BJ82@jensen.tdcadsl.dk> wrote:

>I meet Lort Soth for the first time i a Dragon Lance book, then later He get
>"teleport" to the realms of Ravenloft...
>I have NEVER meet him in the Forgotten Realms

I meet him in my back yard for 'smores.

Bill
--
By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually
get to be boss and work twelve hours a day. - Robert Frost
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 10:22:25 PM

"Wildwood" <wildwood72@pipeline.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:o spqd01g2ulbdmu6qkif865et2durrg75b@4ax.com...
| On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:02:40 +0200, in rec.games.frp.dnd "Brian
| Jensen" <BJ82@jensen.tdcadsl.dk> wrote:
|
| >I meet Lort Soth for the first time i a Dragon Lance book, then later He
get
| >"teleport" to the realms of Ravenloft...
| >I have NEVER meet him in the Forgotten Realms
| >

| I meet him in my back yard for 'smores.

Interesting... He came to my house for a fried baloney sandwich. And boy
does that guy have a thing for baloney.

--
Tarrax Ironwolf
psyberwolfREM@VEiwon.com
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an
elf." -- Homer Simpson

---
July 2, 2004 4:17:41 AM

"Ralph Glatt" <julian814@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Eyebyte" <rbrouwer@removethis.rogers.com> wrote in message
> > "Nockermensch" <nockermensch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message
> > >
> > > He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.
> >
> > Dekkion...made a death knight by the big evil dude because...something
about
> > his family or something. For some reason the name Dekkion is about all
> > remember about the cartoon entirely...I could even be wrong about the
name.
> > That would pre-date DL...not sure on the FF though.
>
> Dekkion was a Skeletal Warrior, not a Death Knight. He betrayed the
> Celestial Knights, and Venger made him into a Skeletal Warrior. Sad to
> say, I have all the episodes, and I watch them, too. ;-)

damn your lucky. i miss watching the cartoon. wish i could find some.

> Ralph Glatt
>
> Member, Old Farts Club
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 9:58:13 AM

"Texas Rebel" <texas_rebel99@msn.com> wrote in message news:<10e9rvjq6kqjq12@corp.supernews.com>...
> "Ralph Glatt" <julian814@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Eyebyte" <rbrouwer@removethis.rogers.com> wrote in message
> > > "Nockermensch" <nockermensch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> moved

> > > Dekkion...made a death knight by the big evil dude because...something
> about
> > > his family or something. For some reason the name Dekkion is about all
> > > remember about the cartoon entirely...I could even be wrong about the
> name.
> > > That would pre-date DL...not sure on the FF though.
> >
> > Dekkion was a Skeletal Warrior, not a Death Knight. He betrayed the
> > Celestial Knights, and Venger made him into a Skeletal Warrior. Sad to
> > say, I have all the episodes, and I watch them, too. ;-)
>
> damn your lucky. i miss watching the cartoon. wish i could find some.

Well, I can't promise anything, but email me at my hotmail address,
and I'll see if I can't tape you a copy. Even at EP speed, the
episodes take up two and a half tapes.

Ralph Glatt

Member, Old Farts Club
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 6:56:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

> > damn your lucky. i miss watching the cartoon. wish i could find some.
>
> Well, I can't promise anything, but email me at my hotmail address,
> and I'll see if I can't tape you a copy. Even at EP speed, the
> episodes take up two and a half tapes.
>

> Ralph Glatt
>
> Member, Old Farts Club

IIRC, they have them out on DVD now, I seem to remember seeing either the
disk, or an advert for them in the video stores.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 9:06:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

Ok, the scoop on Death Knights is as follows:

The Death Knight first surfaced in the offices of White Dwarf ca. 1980, when
it was the UK gaming magazine pretty much exclusive to D&D and later AD&D
(this is pre-Games Workshop house organ days for White Dwarf).

The Fiend Folio was a production of TSR UK. It was reviled at the time for
some really bad monsters and really dark line art (the modrons and the rest
of those Lawful neutral silly things come from the Fiend Folio and the White
Dwarf contributors/authors who contributed a lot to TSR UK in those days.)

But the Fiend Folio had some cool monsters too: The Githyanki, Githzerai,
Slaad, Bloodhawks, and the Death Knight.

The Death Knight was exactly that - just a critter. 20 hit die fireball,
power word kill, cool skeletal knight retainers, etc.. The ultimate in
power gamer undead monsters - until DragonLance (which got all the cool
development $$ and art at that time at TSR, being 1984-85) took this cool
power gamer monster and placed one on Krynn. But they just didn't make it a
monster - they gave it a name. They turned it into Lord Soth. A monster
with a name, a background, tragic past and *gasp* motivations.

This was a big deal in 1985. Not many monsters had been turned in to NPCs
with backgrounds and motivations prior to that. That sort of treatment was
for humanoid NPCs - not monsters. Lord Soth's popularity (he was not the
first "NPCized" monster but he was certainly the first "popular one")
confirmed a trend at TSR/WotC that has not stopped since - to the betterment
of the game.

Lord Soth was a complete hit. He quickly became the favorite villain of most
gamers and a famous painting by Parkinson created for the DragonLance
calendar sealed the deal by capturing a Ringwraithy element to Soth and his
cohort. (Note: the Dragonlance Adventures mod team have spent about 1200
hours doing horse animations for NWN pretty much because we think this
painting is so friggin cool).

Despite the strong Ringwraith overtones, there was still something unique
about Soth and he never devolved into parody. While he was simply an
example of a Death Knight, in time he became to be viewed as THE Death
Knight.

Soth was moved over to Ravenloft as a marketing gimmick for novel because -
at the time DL was finally fading and Ravenloft needed all the help it could
get. And well, Tracy Hickman created Strahd and Lord Soth too so - why not?

Most DragonLance purists rebelled at the idea and never accepted it. (They
tried to put Spelljamming ports in Palanthus on Krynn too *boo hiss*).

Ultimately that didn't work out too well and as people tired of that, WotC
moved Lord Soth back to Dargaard Keep on Krynn. It turned out to be
temporarily only.

In Dragons of a Vanished Moon, the last Weis and Hickman novel set in Krynn,
after the absence of the Gods and the gathering war of Souls strips Soth of
his banshees and his retainers for about 30 years, he was finally able to
stop BROODING and being afraid of his past, afraid of Takhisis and afraid of
death.

Takhisis calls upon Lord Soth in the novel through her Chosen One and Soth
outright refused her. He was then killed (for real) in Dargaard Keep by
Takhisis as the old rotting beams crashed down upon him. He embraced his
death willingly and finally escaped his undeath.

[the end]
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:18:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

In article <Xns950D65E9E273Arsingers@IP-Hidden>, rsingers@finger.hotmail.com
wrote:
>Ralph Glatt startled all and sundry by ejaculating the following words of
>wisdom

>> First mention of Death Knights was indeed the Fiend Folio, which
>> predates both Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance.
>>
>> Leave it to an old fart to have all the answers. ;-p
>
>I had a feeling it was in a early White Dwarf magazine as well but I can't
>be bothered looking.

A lot of the monsters in the FF originated there, but not all of them.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:19:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

In article <4769522f.0406170241.43fac06a@posting.google.com>,
nockermensch@hotmail.com wrote:
>weberm@polaris.net (Ubiquitous) wrote in message

>> How did the Death Knight get introduced (and migrate) to the various
>> campaign settings? For example, Soth originated in the Realms but moved
>> to Dragonlance later.
>
>He's from that Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, you silly.

There was a Death Knight in that?

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 11:22:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd (More info?)

In article <1rLAc.39$WM2.46476@news.uswest.net>, sidhideach@qwest.net wrote:

>Ralph has all the Dungeons & Dragons episodes?!? I would be eternally
>grateful if you could tell me how I might acquire these episodes as well.

I found some on Kaza. You might also wish to vote for them on Rhino
Records' "What show do you wish to see on DVD?" poll.

>I've been playing D&D for 20 years... does this qualify me for the Old Farts
>Club?

Only twenty?

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 1:20:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

>>Can't people in Ravenloft specifically _not_ move between other planes? I
>>thought the mists kept anyone entering Ravenloft from leaving under any
>>normal (as in, not by using ascension to godhood to remake the form of the
>>demiplane itself) circumstances.

Is Ravenloft a part of the shadowplane?
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
-till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

~consul wrote:

> >>Can't people in Ravenloft specifically _not_ move between other planes? I
> >>thought the mists kept anyone entering Ravenloft from leaving under any
> >>normal (as in, not by using ascension to godhood to remake the form of the
> >>demiplane itself) circumstances.
>
> Is Ravenloft a part of the shadowplane?

Ravenloft os found in the Demiplane of Dread, IIRC.

--
Gene Poole

Signature sold separately
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 6:43:23 PM

In article <ceb84g$iul$1@gist.usc.edu>, consul@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com wrote:

>>>Can't people in Ravenloft specifically _not_ move between other planes? I
>>>thought the mists kept anyone entering Ravenloft from leaving under any
>>>normal (as in, not by using ascension to godhood to remake the form of the
>>>demiplane itself) circumstances.
>
>Is Ravenloft a part of the shadowplane?

I don't think it is. IIRC, it's a demiplane.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
August 16, 2004 9:08:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

Gene Poole <poolespam@yahoo.com> wrote in

>> Is Ravenloft a part of the shadowplane?
>
> Ravenloft os found in the Demiplane of Dread, IIRC.

If you want definitive answers, head over to rasalvatore.com .. in the
Other Authors section, James Lowder has an ongoing Interactive thread. Ask
your questions there. When it comes to Lord Soth, he's the man to ask ...
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 10:01:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,alt.games.adnd,alt.games.adnd.forgotten-realms (More info?)

In article <Xns95477172928D5SVSocomcastnet@204.127.204.17>, SV_So@comcast.net
wrote:
>Gene Poole <poolespam@yahoo.com> wrote in news:4109BCE9.EC24F7A6@yahoo.com:

>>> Is Ravenloft a part of the shadowplane?
>>
>> Ravenloft os found in the Demiplane of Dread, IIRC.
>
>If you want definitive answers, head over to rasalvatore.com .. in the
>Other Authors section, James Lowder has an ongoing Interactive thread. Ask
>your questions there. When it comes to Lord Soth, he's the man to ask ...

Cool.

ISLAM: Winning the hearts and minds of the world, one bomb at a time.
!