mn-700 as access point

Andrew

Hi,
I have the mn-700 set up as an access point, i hate the
way it is set up but there is no way around my
situation. My interent comes into my main machine via a
coax cable(high speed wireless) into a specail network
card.(it acts same a regualr nic) from there a regular
nic card from the main machine goes into the modem port
of the router. i have three computer running wirelessly
and on occasion one on the wired computer. That all
works great, interent, file sharing, etc. My problem is
how do i get the main machine to be on the network. It
says it can't access my network. Am i forgetting a
missing link here...my regular nic card is set to
192.168.0.1 and all the other computers on the netowrk
have that as thier default gateway...does that stop the
main computer from being on the network. I hope i havent
confused you.....please help me...
Andrew

joker

This isn't really a hardware issue, but an OS issue.

Well lets look at the name of the newsgroup. It starts with "microsoft"
so that must mean we only talk about Microsoft products. Next it says
"public" so that means any person can post here. Then it says
"broadbandnet" so since this is a Microsoft newsgroup it must be talking
about the Microsoft Broadband Networking. Last but not least it says
"hardware" So that must mean it is the Microsoft hardware for networking
that we talk about.

Thus this is not a general networking newsgroup, but one for the
Microsoft Broadband networking hardware. I'd suggest either posting in
a general networking newsgroup or one for whatever version of Windows
you are running.

Andrew wrote:

> Hi,
> I have the mn-700 set up as an access point, i hate the
> way it is set up but there is no way around my
> situation. My interent comes into my main machine via a
> coax cable(high speed wireless) into a specail network
> card.(it acts same a regualr nic) from there a regular
> nic card from the main machine goes into the modem port
> of the router. i have three computer running wirelessly
> and on occasion one on the wired computer. That all
> works great, interent, file sharing, etc. My problem is
> how do i get the main machine to be on the network. It
> says it can't access my network. Am i forgetting a
> missing link here...my regular nic card is set to
> 192.168.0.1 and all the other computers on the netowrk
> have that as thier default gateway...does that stop the
> main computer from being on the network. I hope i havent
> confused you.....please help me...
> Andrew

assistance.

time.

Andrew

How is it not a hardware issue??? Computers are running
xp, so how can it be an os issue?
Someone please help.

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Andrew,

I am just guessing here, but I suspect your computers are not all on the
same network--by this I mean logical network.

Where are you getting your IP Addresses from? Since the base station is set
as an access point, you have DHCP turned off. That likely means the
wireless computers are using automatic ip address configuration. (something
like 169.254.x.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0) .

Or is ICS turned on (it will act as a dhcp server).

So, find out what the ip address is on each machine and determine if they
are on the same network.