Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5900 LCD screen is completely blank & quit wo

Status
Not open for further replies.

amyc57

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hello! I am trying to repair an issue on a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5900 Laptop.
A couple of weeks ago, I installed a new hard drive, and installed Windows Vista on my cousin’s laptop listed above. He said it was running perfectly fine until 3 days ago, when he turned this computer on. It wouldn't show anything on the LCD screen at all. You can hear the fan going, but you can see nothing on the screen. I tried to pull this laptop up on an external screen, and still no screen at all. I can hear the fan, and that's it. I'm not even sure if the hard drive is even booting up. I also have checked the video cable to make sure it was plugged in correctly, and it was. I have removed the battery to see if that was the problem, and it wasn't. I also took out the hard drive to see if it was the problem and it wasn't...and took out the memory...nothing...i did all the testing and removing of all parts one by one, but still I can't figure this one out!!
Can anyone point me in some direction as to what the problem might be?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can guide me in the right direction....:D

swamprat50

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

I have the same problem with the same computer. I've tried everything I can think of and it's still the same.
Good Luck

amyc57

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I have also tried everything possible that i can think of and have been suggested to try....nothing seems to work. the mobo turns on, but it won't allow anything to work except for the fan....i get no screen, no hdd, no cd, nada! i haven't had any luck at all! what all have u tried doing? i have it down to the bare bones, and still can't troubleshoot what is wrong. i thought about trying a new motherboard, but they are expensive, even on ebay. and i'm not even sure if that is the problem, and would hate to be out the money if it isn't the problem. have any suggestions? have u called toshiba at all? thanks for responding....maybe between the two of us, we can figure it out...and possibly find a way to make toshiba give us new ones, like a silent recall...idk worth a try!

skiboy812

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Do you get the BIOS to come up at all?

Does control alt delete reboot the system?

I have the same.. sometimes the screen comes up white but 99% black..

pulled the HD.. still no bios comes up.. and control alt delete does not work either for me..

amyc57

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I don't even get that far. it won't boot at all! I can hear the fans, but that is all. i tried using an external monitor with this laptop, and nothing will boot. i have pulled everything out of this laptop, clear to the bare bones....and built it back again with testing all devices along the way....still nothing...my guess is its a bad mobo.

dpounds

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I would like to know if anyone has fixed this problem. I have owned this laptop for just over 2 years and the hard drive failed about 3 weeks ago. I was just preparing to order the hard drive and a memory upgrade when I came upon this thread. I can't afford to put money into this laptop and then have it quit on me in a few weeks. Any help is appreciated.

amyc57

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I still haven't found a fix yet, but will be ordering a mobo for it, because I'm almost positive that is the problem. the mobo is over $200, but it's worth a try. I already replaced the hard drive, the memory, and the power adapter in the last 6 months. If i were u i wouldn't buy anything for it, i would def by a diff PC and diff brand. I will NEVER own one of these! Unfortunately i have to fix it for my customer tho.

chamaklio

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Any Progress on this ?
did the motherboard replacement work?

i currently have the same issue.
other problems i experienced during the same day (before the black screen).
-internet adapters stopped working
-restarted, internet works, but desktop icons have no images.
-shut down, turned on in 4 hours, Fans working + Black screen, no start up.

chamaklio

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Any Progress on this ?
did the motherboard replacement work?

i currently have the same issue.
other problems i experienced during the same day (before the black screen).
-internet adapters stopped working
-restarted, internet works, but desktop icons have no images.
-shut down, turned on in 4 hours, Fans working + Black screen, no start up.

mainer72

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

I have the same problem but my bios comes up,ctrl,alt delete restarts the laptop but nothing passed that comes up other than a 99%white screen,i have tried pressing F8 and '0' when booting but nothing happens not even a bootable cd...

amyc57

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
yes this thread is old, but I am the one who started this, and I keep it up here, and still check it for answers from people, because i still haven't fixed this one yet. I'm still hoping someone will still read this, and maybe help me with it. I see others online have the exact same problem, and no one so far has a fix. I am trying to find a way to prove to toshiba this problem with myself and others, and that others are having the same problem......in hopes they will have an answer, and possibly give me/us a credit toward a new mobo. Doubt that, but it's worth a try.

amyc57

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
chamaklio....i have the exact same problem, and don't have a fix except i'm almost positive its the motherboard, but are afraid to buy one in case it isn't what's wrong. The cost for another motherboard, and they are hard to find, is $250 and up to $350 have you had any luck with your yet? in the past six months i have replaced the hard drive, memory, and power adapter. I'm not sure if i want to waste anymore money. it's actually one of my friends/customers laptop, but he was willing to wait on fixing it, till i figured out which was the best thing to do, and i'm seeing that buying another one might be the best bet!

vhesher

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hi all,
We (my husband and I) are working on one of these same Toshibas for my daughter. We have recently replaced the video screen, which was stepped on and cracked, and then the power adapter due to a broken wire. The laptop was just turned off one day and then the next day it would not boot. We can not get it to show on a external monitor, the lights come on, but no HD activity, the fan comes on, then after a couple of minutes it shuts off. We have taken the whole thing apart to check for MB damage, unseated cables, or anything. We have come to the conclusion that the video chip is out, but are also leary of paying $180 for a new MB. I hope that someone can get a hold of one to test our theory for the lot of us.

jyeaty

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hello all,

I am experiencing the same issue as previously identified. I turn on the computer, and I can hear the fan, but no screen / boot sequencing activity occurring. I wasn't sure if any additional ideas / fixes have been discovered in the meantime. During my searches for a potential fix, I discovered a similar thread with a "potential" fix. Seems this particular thread has some moderate success in fixing their issues. I have not been home to try this myself yet, but wanted to post it for other parties to try.

[ Quote:
Can try a power drain !!

take the battery out n disconnect from the external power .

Hold on to the power button for 30 sec .

Try connect to external power source(AC adapter) without battery.

Later u can put the battery back and use as usual.

hmm .. Its just a try to drain the static charge from RAM slots ..which can potential cause a blank display.

Give a try n let me know !! ]

Thank you all very much.

vhesher

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Thank you very much for posting! I tried it, it worked for me! Just proves that it is not the hard drive or the mo bo. The other thing I did was run my hand over the keyboard because it didn't seem to work at first. Then when I hit the power button a second time it booted. :bounce: My daughter is so happy. She is in college and this will make her life so much easier.

vhesher

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Well, spoke too soon. The computer was working until the first reboot. Now it is back to the same thing. What happened one time to allow it to boot, I don't know. Repeating the same as above doesn't work now. But, it does say that most everything is mechanically ok. Just got to find that one thing... :??:

vhesher

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Ok, we finally fixed it! It was the CMOS battery. The above information enabled us to get it to boot that one more time, in which the error message of a Dead CMOS battery flew by on the screen before it booted. We finally found the battery at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180676308833&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123.

This was the only place that I could find it unfortunately because it is a bit pricy. But it was cheaper than a MOBO. You have to take apart the whole computer because the battery is on the back side of the underside of the MOBO. It is a solder-on part, so you have to have soldering skills/tools as well.

Now it boots every time! Woo, woo! :bounce:

toptiercomputerservices

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Hello! I am trying to repair an issue on a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5900 Laptop.
A couple of weeks ago, I installed a new hard drive, and installed Windows Vista on my cousin’s laptop listed above. He said it was running perfectly fine until 3 days ago, when he turned this computer on. It wouldn't show anything on the LCD screen at all. You can hear the fan going, but you can see nothing on the screen. I tried to pull this laptop up on an external screen, and still no screen at all. I can hear the fan, and that's it. I'm not even sure if the hard drive is even booting up. I also have checked the video cable to make sure it was plugged in correctly, and it was. I have removed the battery to see if that was the problem, and it wasn't. I also took out the hard drive to see if it was the problem and it wasn't...and took out the memory...nothing...i did all the testing and removing of all parts one by one, but still I can't figure this one out!!
Can anyone point me in some direction as to what the problem might be?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can guide me in the right direction....:D[/quotemsg]

Hey all. I have a Toshiba L305d-s5934 and have the same problem. Unfortunately I didn't check to see if I could boot using an external monitor before I ordered a new motherboard. In any case, I installed the new mobo with the same issue. I can see the screen if I connect an external monitor leading me to believe that it is the LCD. I have looked over other sites that suggested you check the video connection to the motherboard to see if it has come loose.

I am going to buy a replacement lcd and go from there. But in the meantime I would see if you can see video on an external device to determine if it is the motherboard or lcd.

Link to video to show disassembly is here: http://youtu.be/G2AcFvd9qjc

Hope this helps someone.

andrewmsprague

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
My girlfriend's computer is doing the same thing. I tried the 30 seconds with no power thing, but to no avail. When I press the power button, the light comes on, but there's no HDD activity at all. I hear the cd drive actuate, and the fans come on. The hard drive is even spinning, but the access light doesn't turn on at all.

abugh16

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hello ................
I am very grateful for your contribution and i have face more problem which is not only one or two.i have Toshiba satellite A200'L300,L305,A205 and all of them are AMD processor and you switch on it you see that the power is on but the screen do not display and i have been facing this problem which i never had the solution so i need your support for this problem.
Please this is my E-mail Address if only you help me to send this (raswounded@hotmail.com)
thank you

robert pitre

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

Amyc57, i had the same thing ,i had to change my hard drive and i to get the recovery disc from tobshia, i ran the recovery discs in it not the windows.I selected the tobshia recovery and just follow the instructions on the screen and i been running and don't have any problems. remember once you do this you must bring windows up to date.

amyc57

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

Thanks for the advice however i've already done that, and still no anything. It's just dead! I imagine it was the motherboard, but my client didn't want to spend that much on a new mobo since we had already changed so much, so we are selling it as is on ebay then I'm building him a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.