Restoring PC with windows disc?

soberllama

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Okay, I'm sure this is really quite easy, but for whatever the reason I'm finding it really confusing...

How do you restore your computer to factory settings with a windows 7 disc?

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
What brand of PC do you have? There may be a recovery partition which you can access by holding down an "F key" when the PC is starting. This is probably what you'd like to do if you can that way you don't have to mess with drivers.

alternatively

Put the disk in the drive;

If you're computers boot options are setup correctly when you restart your pc you should get a black window with white text which says "press any key to boot from CD"

After that it will say loading windows or something to that effect, and then when you get to a screen which says "install windows" in the center look at the bottom of the screen (IIRC) and it should say repair windows, or repair options or something, you might have to click install windows and then it's there I can't remember been a while since I've done it.

This will take you to a new screen which has lots of options and one of them is reset to factory settings.

IF you don't get the boot from CD screen you will need to go into your BIOS and change your boot options so that the CD drive is at the top of the list (#1). Then try again.