Hey Everyone, hopefully you can help my find my perfect laptop! General info is as follows (quick summary at the bottom):
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Highest possible. This is something that's very important to me. I'd say 1440x900 for 14 inch, and highest possible for 13.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, I already have a Desktop to handle the harder stuff, I'd like my laptop to be a slower version of my desktop, not trying to match it.
5. How much battery life do you need?
Ideally 6+ hours, but i'd settle for 4.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I dont play games, but I do want good dedicated graphics, switchable to integrated for better battery life when not needed.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
On-the-go video & audio editing, Design (Photoshop, illustrator), web programming, photo editing, mobile work PC basically.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Not Really. Please recommend anything you can think of.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Do not need, but would not mind a DVD writer. However, strongly considering the possibility of replacing the optical drive bay with another hard drive. maybe a HDD-SSD Hybrid for my OS.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm open to anything as long as its good, but the following are my preferences:
Dell: Have always been reliable for me
HP: same as dell, but with more style
Apple: amazing style and functionality, but I prefer windows 7 over MACOSX and the price is a huuuuge deal for the crappy specs you get.
IBM: classy for business, good specs, reliable.
NOT A FAN OF:
Asus: I detest teh fact that they have SOOOO many models and series out, I seriously cannot navigate their page and look for a PC.
Alienware: Too few options, not my taste in design, huge, bulky, and high battery consumption. Theyre one small pc is too small (m11x)
Acer: I do not trust this brand yet, I need a few years.
MSI: Same as with Acer
13. What country do you live in?
I live in Panama, but regional restrictions are not an issue. I have no problem ordering a laptop from US distributors.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Here's the rundown. I currently have a Macbook. I bought it second hand but not used, thinking maybe I'd make the switch, but unfortunately I bought it as they were getting pretty obsolete (they got updated specs this past spring). So now my laptop is low on specs and MacOSX definitely did not deliver on the hype. I have an extremely powerful Desktop PC at home so I DO NOT need a desktop replacement, however I do need something that can handle design, audio and video work on the go. I absolutely HATE low resolution screens so this is one area I am not prepared to compromise in. I realize 13-14 inch is not gonna get me much, but I'd like the highest possible. I am willing to go above my budget (2000) if needed.
Features I would like are:
Sleek design (think Macbook Pro or HP ENVY.)
Good Multitouch functionality on touchpad (As I said I have a macbook now, this is the one area were I absolutely LOOOVE mac, if there is something that resembles this for PC Id love to have it.)
Minimum i5 processor, though i7 might be even better (of course i7 means less battery life)
1GB dedicated graphics, switchable to integrated.
I know this is a long post but I really appreciate any help, Ive been looking for ages and I still cant find what Im looking for (maybe it doesnt exist!).
BTW, my laptop of choice was the HP ENVY 14 until I realized they no longer ship with the 1440x900 display, apparently because one of their manufacturers went out of business (i think), anyways that really killed it for me.