lol iraq using ps2 for military

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey don't ever forget what kind of computer capacity took man to the moon:)
you can do a lot of stuff with computers if you don't waste it all on Windoze GUI:)

G

How very true.... just imagine NT running with 16mb of mem..... "Error loading Kernel : out of memory at line 1"
:)

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

maybe you could control an aircraft with a PS2 but they could have just bought a PC.
The whole idea is ridiculous anyway, whether it's true or not.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think the point is that due to restrictions/sanctions/embargoes they CAN'T just buy a PC... PS2 allows them to bypass the sanctions and get some serious computing power in...

alternatively, maybe the high-government officials' kids just really wanted a PS 2 for christmas :)

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
nobody knows... it may end up being neither, just a kool looking box that's been outdated by long devl cycle and too few supporting applications... probably not though:)

G

yeah, if you think of it it as a PC, it is a piece of outdated crap already...

but if you think of it as a console, it actually should be pretty sweeeeeet!! Current PC games can't take full advantage of most of the hardware's power (ok so which PC game is very serious in utilitizing the T&L engine now?) because backward compatibility is a necessity in capaturing more buyers.

Now we have this unified and powerful (heard it's at least twice as fast as a PS2 hardware wise) architecture for game developers to play around with, as long as M$ can deliver this stuff on time, I think it should succeed.

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Iraq will make h-bomb from Nintendo? I will catch it and throw it back! There is a lot more dangerous and frightening things that happening.

G

Linux on a PS2? Now there's something I'd like to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe someone should port it to the platform, and use the box for something serious (haha).

Also, never underestimate the possibilities of parallel ASM code - the sort they'd probably be using - if people stuck to tight and small ASM (I must admit I don't) we probably wouldn't need these GHz chips everyone seems to be going googley-eyed about at the moment :)

G

Actually, the PS2's processor is more than powerful enough to guide missiles. That's why it took so long for PS2 to receive approval from the Japanese government to ship. It was a legitimate security threat.

Charles

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's true. It's mainly to do with the speed of the graphics and the Emotion engine.

<A HREF="http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2550857,00.html" target="_new">http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2550857,00.html</A>

<b><font color=red>-<AJ :tongue: >-</font color=red><b>

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I found this on CNet this morning.
Funny

Top 10 Unintended Consequences of the Iraqi Military's PlayStation 2 Strategy

If you didn't get a Sony PlayStation 2 as a gift last week, maybe you should blame Saddam Hussein. According to a U.S. customs official, Iraqi groups purchased 1,400 PS2s from Detroit toy shops in order to ship them to Iraq's armed forces. Reportedly, the PS2's powerful chips could be put to military use, but according to a Sony representative, "If somebody buys and uses PlayStations for military purposes, it is something we cannot control." What will happen once all those PS2s arrive in Baghdad? Here are a few possibilities:

1 Parts and Labor
Iraqi government at standstill while federal employees redeployed to fill out warranty cards.

2 Fitting In
PlayStation 2 now available in camouflage colors.

3 Hollywood Calls
Saddam Hussein offered the title role in next year's highly anticipated sequel, How the Grinch Stole Detroit's Christmas.

4 Keeping Up With the Joneses
Kuwait stockpiles thousands of Atari 2600s, declares formation of elite SuperPong battalion.

5 Form Follows Function
All Iraqi tanks redesigned to include reset button.

6 Cheat Code
Pressing Triangle plus Square while pressing the Down arrow on the PS2 console annihilates Desert Shield with a roundhouse kick.

7 Fashion Sense
Iraqi armed forces required to dress like fighters in Tekken Tag Tournament.

8 Entertainment Aloft
Iraqi jets now include in-flight DVD movies.

9 Sign Me Up
Kids who didn't get a PS2 start enlisting in the Iraqi military, hoping to score a spare unit.

10 New Game
SCUD Missile Command.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
3 words--> high velocity ps2's
ouch, wouldnt wanna get hit by one of them

TBird 800 - Asus A7V 1005a
256 PC133 - Maxtor 45GB ATA100
Radeon 32DDR - SB Live MP3+

Zenthar

Distinguished
I'm sure they would't use the PS2 hardware just as it is, but I'm sure with some modification it can be turned into a multi-use calculating machine. I remembered some time age, before the PS2 was launched in the US, the FBI was monitoring the PS2 imports since they could potentialy be used on weapons (like missile guidance system). Hoax or not, I would still find hilarious a missile with the PS2 logo on it (or even the "Intel inside" one).