Stability of AMD processors.

ender

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
In the past I've had some bad luck with AMD chips. The whole K6 series screwed me royaly. I'm looking to put together a system for myself. It is going to be my primary system, doing lots of graphic and video work... thus the AMD chips seem to be the primary choice. I'm not going to overclock the processor as reliability is VERY important to me. So here's my question. How stable are the new series of AMD Thunderbird processors..? I'll do the fan upgrade as I have heard they are VERY sensitive to cooling problems. Let me know you thoughts.. I'd also like to hear some mainboard match's.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, AMD has seemed to refined their processors now, and they are MUCH stable than the K6 family.

But they are not <i>VERY</i> heat sensitive. I think people over react to this and tend to spread word that they overheat easily or something. It's only that they run a little hotter than P3's, and without a heatsink or fan on them they can fry in a matter of seconds. As long as you have a decent heatsink and fan, you're fine.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Grizely1 is absolutely right. With a decent cooling solution, a Thunderbird processor is rock-solid. I am using a MicroStar K7T Pro, with a 1GB Thunderbird ... and it is the most stable solution I have ever used.

Any processor can be damaged. Just take the time to put the new fan/heatsink combo on carefully, and use only enough force to attach the clips. You'll be fine.

Thunderbirds do run hotter than Pentium's ... but that needn't be an issue. I'm using a Super Orb, and my processor temperature, after running a Quake 3 demo in a loop overnight was no higher than 98F. Normally, the temperature is around 93F. I have no complaints with that!

Note: Take care when working around the capacitors near the socket ... it's a tight squeeze. Be sure to measure the available area around the socket, and compare it to the new heatsink and fan dimensions before making a purchase. That could save you some shipping charges.

Toejam31

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an A7V with a TBird-900 which after a week or two of problems (resolved with driver updates) has settled down and become perfectly stable. I use both this system and a PIII-500 for work (mainly CAD stuff). In terms of temp the TBird-900 runs at 42C and the PIII-500 at 46C.

Both computers run 24hrs a day at 100% cpu load (running SETI@home if nothing else) and I'd say they are equally stable since neither has crashed on me since I've installed the updates.

As I spend a lot of time in front of the computers one thing I do like about the Tbird-900 system (apart from the speed) is that it is much quieter then my PIII. The PIII has the roaring Intel fan on it that it came with, and the TBird (now) has a CoolerMaster heatsink/fan and a silent power supply so the hard drives are the loudest parts of the whole system.

-JW

BTW:
I bought a Intel P-200, IBM/Cyrix 686-150, and an AMD K6-200 all within 18 months of each other. The only one still going is the K6 (the m/b with the Intel P-200 died but the chip is still good, the IBM/Cyrix chip died about a year ago)

G

I have a Soyo K7-VTA-B w/ Duron 600@950 running fine. I use a coolermaster 6H51 HS/fan and the temp runs 37C after several hours of use. Stick with AMD recommended parts and you will be OK.

Andy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Everybody I've talked to that said the K6 had problems was WRONG! It has always been a problem with various motherboards/chipsets. I hear the chipsets are getting better, but VIA screwed me so badly that I am hoping they get sued out of business.

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD has always had stable CPU's. Third party chipsets, in particular Socket 7 chipsets (SIS, ALI & VIA), were responsible for past AMD stability problems.

lostinms

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What you are saying that my K6-3 is not stable? Well shoot I was wondering why I was never getting the BSOD. heheh My puter is real stable now. I was never the processor it was the motherboards. I had a MSI motherboard once that I did get BSOD alot and later after reading a fact from AMD it was learn that the Voltage Regulater was bad. Now I got a Giga-byte GA-5AX and it has been rock solided ever since.

But from what I read the K7 is the best choice to go with and I want one but I will have to wait till either price come down or I can brake my wife in letting me get it.