Sign in with
Your question
Solved

APU Driver problem

Last response: in Windows 7
January 3, 2013 1:47:40 AM

Solution: After installing the drivers one by one, I determined that the SATA Controller driver was the problematic driver. Ergo, I simply chose not to install it since I'm not doing a RAID setup.

Hello all! I recently assembled a PC for word processing. I succesfully installed an AMD A6 5400K APU onto a MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Mobo with 4 GB RAM and an old 70 GB Maxtor HDD. After installing win7 64bit, I tried installing the necessary drivers, but I ran into a problem. I started with the chipset drivers MSI provided with the MoBo. After I completed the installation, win7 popped up with a "Drivers did not install successfully" message as soon as I hit "restart now" to complete the ATI driver installation. The computer then repeatedly failed to load windows (it got stuck on the black win7 "loading windows" screen). I tried "windows repair" and IRC, it pointed to the recent driver installation.

I then reinstalled windows and installed the LAN drivers first, hoping to install the latest chipset drivers from MSI itself (http://tinyurl.com/aftxu6p). However, the same thing occurred after I installed the win7 64bit from the MSI website. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks!

Specs:
CPU/GPU: AMD A6 5400K APU
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35
RAM: 4GB Patriot 1333 Mhz
HDD: 74GB Maxtor HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Edit: I contacted MSI and followed their instructions to no avail. The motherboard seems to be defective.

More about : apu driver problem

Best solution

January 3, 2013 2:01:32 AM

Contact MSI about this. Didn't seemed like you did anything wrong so maybe it's an issue on their part
January 3, 2013 2:06:44 AM

EzioAs said:
Contact MSI about this. Didn't seemed like you did anything wrong so maybe it's an issue on their part

Hey thanks! I'll do that tomorrow morning then.
Related resources
January 9, 2013 11:39:52 PM

Best answer selected by techSultan.
January 20, 2013 8:40:05 PM

Hi. I have same CPU/GPU and MB and I have same problems.
I installed all drivers, updated them through driver scanner 2013, then turned off pc, switch on and I've got BSOD (0x0000001E), while booting w7 64bit. I also tried linux mint 14 64bit and after instalation it stuck on black screen. I have latest bios on my motherboard.

What instructions MSI send to you?

btw thread says "SOLVED" - how did u solve this problem? :o 
January 21, 2013 1:04:45 AM

amonorailcat said:
Hi. I have same CPU/GPU and MB and I have same problems.
I installed all drivers, updated them through driver scanner 2013, then turned off pc, switch on and I've got BSOD (0x0000001E), while booting w7 64bit. I also tried linux mint 14 64bit and after instalation it stuck on black screen. I have latest bios on my motherboard.

What instructions MSI send to you?

btw thread says "SOLVED" - how did u solve this problem? :o 

Dude, we picked a hell of a CPU/GPU & MoBo combo. I'm never buying AMD or MSI again.

I think the SATA controller driver is broken (or whatever the proper term is). After installing all the drivers one by one, I determined that the SATA controller was the one that kept bringing down my system.

So I just didn't bother installing the SATA controller (I'm not doing any RAID setups, so I don't think I'll need it). My build works as close to normal as possible now.

But if you want my honest opinion
IF YOU HAVE TIME TO RETURN, RETURN YOUR COMPONENTS NOW!!!

Just go buy a discrete Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU. The money you'll save with an APU is not worth the hassle. Here's a comparable Intel CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

January 21, 2013 4:41:02 AM

techSultan said:
Dude, we picked a hell of a CPU/GPU & MoBo combo. I'm never buying AMD or MSI again.

I think the SATA controller driver is broken (or whatever the proper term is). After installing all the drivers one by one, I determined that the SATA controller was the one that kept bringing down my system.

So I just didn't bother installing the SATA controller (I'm not doing any RAID setups, so I don't think I'll need it). My build works as close to normal as possible now.

But if you want my honest opinion
IF YOU HAVE TIME TO RETURN, RETURN YOUR COMPONENTS NOW!!!

Just go buy a discrete Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU. The money you'll save with an APU is not worth the hassle. Here's a comparable Intel CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

okey, thanks mate. but where is the problem? what is wrong? MB or APU? I can return both. but APU seems good, i dont wanna return it. ill be happy , if i can solve my problem with changing MoBo.
January 22, 2013 12:18:10 AM

amonorailcat said:
okey, thanks mate. but where is the problem? what is wrong? MB or APU? I can return both. but APU seems good, i dont wanna return it. ill be happy , if i can solve my problem with changing MoBo.

You're getting a different error than me (I never once got a BSOD), so I'm not sure if my fix would also work for you.

Try installing everything but the SATA controller drivers. If your system still crashes, then I think the drivers just may be bad.

I had to return to these forum's because my system now freezes a lot, so I compiled a history of what I've done to my setup

History of what I've done thus far (in chronological order):
-Assembled components
-Installed Windows
-Install all drivers on MSI disk, windows failed to load
-Contacted MSI, they told me to update BIOS on a clean Windows (DON'T KNOW HOW TO BOLD, BUT LOOK HERE)
-Reinstalled Windows, Updated BIOS, installed all drivers, windows failed to load
-Contacted MSI, they said I had a defective Mobo
-Exchanged Mobo at electronics store
-Transplanted components from old Mobo to new Mobo
-Installed new Mobo
-Installed fresh copy of Windows, tried to install all drivers, Windows failed to load
-Reinstalled Windows, installed drivers one by one
-Isolated SATA Controller driver as the one that kept bringing down my system
-Reinstalled Windows, install all drivers except SATA controller

If that doesn't work, then start a new thread, contact MSI, or return the MoBo. (look at Newegg to see if our APU is getting good reviews, if not, then I still recommend getting an Intel).
January 22, 2013 4:08:08 AM

techSultan said:
You're getting a different error than me (I never once got a BSOD), so I'm not sure if my fix would also work for you.

Try installing everything but the SATA controller drivers. If your system still crashes, then I think the drivers just may be bad.

I had to return to these forum's because my system now freezes a lot, so I compiled a history of what I've done to my setup

History of what I've done thus far (in chronological order):
-Assembled components
-Installed Windows
-Install all drivers on MSI disk, windows failed to load
-Contacted MSI, they told me to update BIOS on a clean Windows (DON'T KNOW HOW TO BOLD, BUT LOOK HERE)
-Reinstalled Windows, Updated BIOS, installed all drivers, windows failed to load
-Contacted MSI, they said I had a defective Mobo
-Exchanged Mobo at electronics store
-Transplanted components from old Mobo to new Mobo
-Installed new Mobo
-Installed fresh copy of Windows, tried to install all drivers, Windows failed to load
-Reinstalled Windows, installed drivers one by one
-Isolated SATA Controller driver as the one that kept bringing down my system
-Reinstalled Windows, install all drivers except SATA controller

If that doesn't work, then start a new thread, contact MSI, or return the MoBo. (look at Newegg to see if our APU is getting good reviews, if not, then I still recommend getting an Intel).

I will return my MoBo and hope asus MoBo with better chipset will fix my problem(s) - i also have problem with S3 suspend mode - pc doesnt wake up correctly. and with video output - i see nothing till windows boot on my plazma tv.

but thx for your advices. ill post here, if new MoBo helps me :) 
January 27, 2013 4:54:31 PM

amonorailcat said:
I will return my MoBo and hope asus MoBo with better chipset will fix my problem(s) - i also have problem with S3 suspend mode - pc doesnt wake up correctly. and with video output - i see nothing till windows boot on my plazma tv.

but thx for your advices. ill post here, if new MoBo helps me :) 

Hey dude, I just saw your reply. I don't think I can help you anymore (I have a clue what "S3 Suspend Mode" is), so I think you're better off starting a new thread on the Systems forum. I'm really impressed with the community here; I'm sure they can help you out!

Good luck with the new MoBo!

PS: My problem was my old HDD--I just installed a new SSD and everything works fine now.
!